bertusgeert

Why are skydiving helmets so ridiculously, unreasonably expensive?!

As Seinfeld said: "I don't understand why skydivers wear helmets...once you jumped out of the plane, the helmet is not wearing YOU for protection!"

Why are skydiving helmets so expensive? On average, anything but a Pro-Tec is $200+!!

Googling Motorcycle or Ski helmets and you get a whole range of options along the price spectrum - from cheap-worth-nothing's all the way to super expensive. And those are sports where most times the helmet proves it's point, it's serious and actually protects. Skydiving helmets on the other hand are not made for high-speed collisions as much as bumping your head on exit or attaching a camera.

What possible reasons are there for the absence of sub $200 helmets?! (other than price-fixing?)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

What possible reasons are there for the absence of sub $200 helmets?! (other than price-fixing?)

They are a labor intensive product with an extraordinarily limited market.

Try making one from scratch and see how long it takes you. Then multiply how much you value your time by the time it took you to make it.

$200 isn't bad.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's a vast conspiracy by the man to keep skydivers (and especially you) down. The USPA, PIA, IMF, CIA, NSA, OPEC, and the EPA have all banded together to ensure that the massive international skydiving helmet market is controlled by only a few companies, so they can keep prices artificially high. Strap on your tinfoil hats, man, because this is really, really big stuff and it goes way deeper than you could possibly think. In fact, I'm probably going to regret even posting this much. :|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Try making one from scratch and see how long it takes you. Then multiply how much you value your time by the time it took you to make it.

$200 isn't bad.

Ok, fair point - it's a volume issue to divide the fixed costs by.

For my own edification - can you guys who have been around tell me when a helmet proved it's worth? I understand slamming yourself unconscious in the plane, but is it really that dangerous to jump without one?

$200 isn't bad.

For my own edification - can you guys who have been around tell me when a helmet proved it's worth? I understand slamming yourself unconscious in the plane, but is it really that dangerous to jump without one?

Here's what ya do; find a guy that jumps a lot and has had his helmet for a season or two. Inspect it for nicks and scratches. In particular, find the helmet of a guy that flys inside center for a 4-way team.

Ok, so without the helmet, that would be the skin on your head.

Yeah, they're worth it.

Lemme add that if $200 is the difference in your bank account between jumping and not jumping, you're cutting it WAY too close to the line anyway.

I would totally be behind your decision to jump without one for the wind in the hair aspects, but $200 shouldn't really be your deciding factor here.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I could show you the places where I have gel-coat knocked off of the chin of my Factory Diver. Part of it from a knee on a freefly jump, and part of it from another helmet on an RW jump. I saw stars on the second one and had a headache the rest of the day.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I could show you the places where I have gel-coat knocked off of the chin of my Factory Diver. Part of it from a knee on a freefly jump, and part of it from another helmet on an RW jump. I saw stars on the second one and had a headache the rest of the day.

Yeah and the chinstrap makes a great handle to carry the head away from an impact divot!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, this one time in Band camp...

Seriously... I've managed to crack a Bell helmet back in the day when motorcycle helmets were popular. I've also cracked a protec as well... Both were on "not so elegant" landings, off the DZ. Well actually, one was while the other was my first (and only) attempt to soar my canopy off the side of a f'n cliff... It was largely successful in that I made it all the way down w/altitude to spare, but what appeared thru binoculars to be little bushes was actually big ass mesquite 'trees' growing amongst a bunch of truck sized boulders. Always walk your landing area first!

I've been hit on the back of my head hard enuff to bleed and damn near pass out (B12s and combat RW, hit from behind and never seen it coming..).

And I've seen numerous folks biff and tumble... but in short, it's not the ride in the plane or even the getting to the ground part that you have to worry about usually.... It's the rock hard bosom of Mother Earth thats apt to getcha! :P

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

As Seinfeld said: "I don't understand why skydivers wear helmets...once you jumped out of the plane, the helmet is not wearing YOU for protection!"

Why are skydiving helmets so expensive? On average, anything but a Pro-Tec is $200+!!

Googling Motorcycle or Ski helmets and you get a whole range of options along the price spectrum - from cheap-worth-nothing's all the way to super expensive. And those are sports where most times the helmet proves it's point, it's serious and actually protects. Skydiving helmets on the other hand are not made for high-speed collisions as much as bumping your head on exit or attaching a camera.

Market size. Costs are higher for smaller markets since you're amortizing capital costs over fewer units, getting less in the way of quantity discounts, and are less likely to be able to save money through off-shoring.

There are fewer than 30,000 recreational skydivers in America since most drop zones are USPA group members and won't let you jump without a membership.

In 2006 there were 6,400,000 skiers who made more than one visit to the slopes.

In 2006 there were 6,634,506 registered motorcycles and they sold 1,190,000 new ones.

Market demographics. If I ride my motorcycle over the weekend I only need to spend $30 to fill the tank if I'm going to ride 250 miles. Skiing with a season pass isn't much more expensive. If I go skydiving one day I'm probably spending $75-$125 on lift tickets. Obviously more expensive sports imply people spending more money on their hobbies.

The market has also demonstrated that it will bear $200 helmet prices. You'd be stupid to charge less.

Mine proves it's worth every jump.
1) Keeps my goggles from blowing off.
2) Holds my audible.
3) Keeps my Donald Trump hair-do in place so I'm always ready for the press conference.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

$200 isn't bad.

I've had my head slammed against the door on an exit that didn't go quite as planned. I've been kicked and bumped and knocked around in freefall. I won't do any RW without my helmet.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Do you know exactly WHEN that accident might occur.
I dont, and didnt when i struck my head on the plane, and split my helmet.
My Helmet cost $300, the damage to it was not damage to my head, the slight concussion was enough to tell me i would have cracked my skull at BEST without the helmet.
Quickly went and bought another helmet the next day.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Helps keep your ears on in a riser slap, and I've dented some concrete on a demo or two...:$

Then you started wearing a helmet? :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My Helmet cost $300, the damage to it was not damage to my head, the slight concussion was enough to tell me i would have cracked my skull at BEST without the helmet.

Do you think you would have been just as safe with, say, a $50 helmet that wasn't skydiving-specific? Not sure what really makes a "skydiving" helmet any different that other helmets.

The one I use for skateboarding is not regulated by the "powers that be" (I am not sure who regulates them), and has to be labeled as a "hard hat" instead. The helmets I use for snowboarding have definitely saved my skull when crashing down on a rock and several trees, but I'm wondering if it would have made a difference if it were a door on an aircraft.

Anyone know what makes a skydiving helmet, a skydiving helmet?

I could tell some war stories that either caused me to wear a helmet (again) or not jump without one. No matter how you slice it, skydiving can be a dangerous activity. Like riding horses or skateboarding. Do you really want to put a price on your own safety? Take the cost of that helmet and divide it by the number of jumps you make in a year. It works-out to be cheap insurance. It gets cheaper as time goes on. It's really, up to you.

Chuck

the act of wearing it whilst skydiving
There's no mandate for a "SKYDIVING" helmet
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>can you guys who have been around tell me when a helmet proved it's
>worth?

Chris from Fury. Downwind landing. Helmet was both cracked and full of blood, but he survived with a broken back and a concussion.

Video guy at Crosskeys. Hit the back of his head on the stabilizer on exit; was OK.

The market has also demonstrated that it will bear $200 helmet prices. You'd be stupid to charge less.

Insightful numbers Drew, but open any micro-economics textbook to see why you'd be stupid to charge anything more than the competitor if you have a margin. Noted - of course alternate pricing theories support a case for higher prices such as "false value perception" (think wine).

the act of wearing it whilst skydiving
There's no mandate for a "SKYDIVING" helmet

lol, good to know. I think I'll stick to buying $40 - 60 helmets in that case. :P

Skydivers :P

EXACTLY.

And funny somebody upstream mentioned skiing: I knew a guy who, when he started skydiving, went out and bought a downhill skiing helmet because it was the closest thing he could find to the helmets he'd seen at the DZ. The first few weeks he had it he only caught shit from those of us at our little piston DZ. THEN one weekend we went to the Mullins compound for a boogie-till-u-puke weekend. He got ridden MERCILESSLY about that helmet. Every load, there was somebody new to give him the dirty look and "what the HELL is that on your head?"

IIRC, he had a Factory Diver the next weekend (this was the late 90s, FDs were all the rage then).

Elvisio "me, I let people taunt me about my flying" Rodriguez

http://www.motoin.de/Helmets/Jet-Helmets/Caberg-BREEZE::17116.html?refID=25&utm_source=googlebase_usa&utm_medium=export&language=en
BAM! $200 to your freaking door!

Ok say you want to look "old school"?
http://www.motoin.de/Helmets/Jet-Helmets/Caberg-Century::16992.html?refID=25&utm_source=googlebase_usa&utm_medium=export&language=en
BAM! $300 to your door!

But Dr. Shah I'm a real style ho! Help me out! I need to look dead sexy and make the panties blow off the soccer moms!
http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Caberg-Jet-Uno/SubProducts/Caberg-Jet-Uno-0001&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&Locale=en_US&Currency=USD
BAM BAM!
$274!

And I dare ANY skydiving helmet be as safe as a motorcycle helmet.
And remember measure your skull and you may want to go one size smaller for that "perfect" fit!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!