Nataly

How do you split the bill?

Was having a discussion about this with friends...

In France, you generally get one bill for the entire group. Sometimes they split everything item by item, but even then, they tend to lump everything together (ie: 7 beers = X Euros)...

So what do you consider good bill-paying etiquette in this scenario (ie: 1 bill for entire group)?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Where is the "eat and run" option?...

Either pick the "leave one at a time" option or "other" :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Regarding the "boobies" option;
Does that mean the bill is split among those who don't have boobies?:|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No, but what an *excellent* idea :D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You say to yourself "Self, I ate a steak and had 3 beers. That cost $XX.XX. Add in a decent tip, and place money on the table."

It really isn't that hard. Just pay for what you ate. People who think it should be split according to how rich people are, or evenly regardless of who ate more/less, are obviously trying to get something out of it. I have an old friend who used to only throw in the cost of his meal, not tip or tax back when we were in High School. I told him if he did that shit again we wouldn't be going out to eat together, and he started paying his share.

Would that then also exclude the guys with man boobies??? :SB|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I only ever ate with my ex-wife, and I always paid. One night, I proposed splitting the bill with her. She whined about how much of an asshole I was, and told me she knew that meant I didn't really love her, and said she didn't think we should be married anymore. :S

The marriage counselor agreed :D

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Would that then also exclude the guys with man boobies??? :SB|

EEEEWWWWW...... Moobies ......EEEEWWWW

Hey, if eeneR wants to go to lunch with a guy with moobs, who are you to judge?:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If there were a lot of shared dishes and/or everyone ordered roughly the same (e.g., everyone got drinks and the same number of courses) among friends sometimes it's less hassle to just divide evenly. But if it's all over the place in terms of who ordered what, definitely take care of what you owe + tax/tip and don't screw your friends.

Leave one at a time until the least popular member of the group is stuck with the entire bill

This one made me laugh because a few years back I was on a softball team and we'd usually go out for beers after the games (sometimes food, too, depending on the time of day). My friend Tony and I were often the last two people there because he was constantly picking my brain about business school (he wound up getting into and going to the same program as me) and we'd just get caught up in conversation while everyone else would leave. Invariably we'd count up the pile of cash on the table, look at the bill and say "Cool! Free again!" because people tended to leave too much money.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I only ever ate with my ex-wife, and I always paid.

If you only ever eat out with your ex, then who the hell was this?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1288484213783&set=m.1653604746.1280537913&type=1&theater

I recall eating out with you on a number of occasions. BTW, you never paid for my meal;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

BTW, you never paid for my meal

Beg to differ. Bought you and Remi dinner at the 17th Ave Bar and Grill. The ex was there, too. In fact, I think one or two other jumpers were there, and I bought for everyone. Just goes to show how much some people appreciate my generosity ;)

The above picture is disqualified, because the person that is presumed to be myself has his eyes closed. Therefore, a distinct identification cannot be made.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It really isn't that hard. Just pay for what you ate.

When dealing with the French, everything is rocket surgery.
:S

It's funny... I always thought this was a no-brainer... Buy a salad, pay for a salad - buy a steak and drink loads of wine, fork out for that... But my friends didn't all agree - one person even had the balls to point out I was just being a cheapskate!!! And I'm like "yeah, I'm unemployed at the moment so I ate a cheap salad and I'm not paying for your expensive tastes!" To my surprise, someone else told my friend he was a doofus and since everyone knew I was broke at the moment, I shouldn't have to order salad and shouldn't have to worry about paying either... And then I had to disagree because it's my own damn problem if I can't afford expensive food... And that's when we realised we all had different views on bill-splitting ettiquette... Thought it was interesting.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Hey, if eeneR wants to go to lunch with a guy with moobs, who are you to judge?:P

Hey I was just curious if the blanket statement regarding ALL boobies.

If I did go to dinner with a guy with moobies...who would end up paying?:D Is it then free? :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

What? You can't ask the waiter / waitress for seperate bills in Fance? :S

Why would I do that??? I moved here - why should they have to adapt their ways to suit me???
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Why would I do that??? I moved here - why should they have to adapt their ways to suit me???

Its not about you, I was asking if its never unherad of a group of folks to ask for seperate checks from a waiter/waitress in France... eveidently not... and that's okay, was just asking. ;)

Its not about you, I was asking if its never unherad of a group of folks to ask for seperate checks from a waiter/waitress in France... eveidently not... and that's okay, was just asking. ;)

Insisting they give separate bills is a bit rude because here it's not the norm, so you're asking a lot... I suppose if you really wanted separate bills, you should really ask before you even order, so you can judge whether it's going to be a massive hassle, and they've got time to cater to your request (as opposed to springing it on them at the end when they haven't kept track of who ordered what).

Honestly, I think it makes good sense. If you think about it, it's far easier for each person in a restaurant to keep track of what they ordered compared to putting all that burden on the waiters - it probably even makes the service quicker.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

We always split the bill equally ... anyone who doesn't like it isn't invited again ; I can't stand 'Bill Pickers'

Exception ... Nominated driver - does not put his/her hand in their pocket - same goes for special occasions or folks having a hard time and we invited them out cuz we're good like that.

Them what make a fuss.. "I only had the lentils and tap water..." would more than likely not be in the group in the first place[:/] and if they did manage to sneak in then there would NOT be a 2nd time.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I think most of the time it ends up split roughly evenly, but I do consider it in poor taste not to chuck in more if you had something especially expensive/extravagant.

If you eat out with the same group often, it ends up sort of balancing out in the long run - sometimes you cover for someone else and sometimes they pay more, etc.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss