npgraphicdesign

What the worst comment you can make...

I personally overheard this one:

A load was taking off and a 1st jump student was on board.
His parents were standing there and his mother was anxiously saying to his father:

"Oh my, I hope he gets down OK!"

A crusty old Southern-born truck-driving DZ-regular walks up to her and drawls:

"Don't worry ma'am, he'll get down OK. We ain't never left nobody up there yet."

:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

As a packer once a TI brought the student over pointed at me and said, "She's your best friend for the next 10 minutes, that's out parachute she's packing." I looked at the TI and said, "I tried a couple new things, let me know if they work."

One of my other favorites is talking to the TI with the student close enough to hear, "Now don't lose this one. We still haven't found your last student. And if you lose 1 more you can't jump for the rest of the day."

Oh yeah, actually saw a student almost cry with this one on Saturday. Another instructor looks over, grabs one of the hooks that is snapped back, he simply unsnapped it but every skydiver around just gave a look of shear terror. The girl, thinking the harness is now broken starts freaking out as the TI pretends like he's trying to fix the now "broken" harness. :D:D:D:D

Awww don't worry, if there's a problem - ya got the rest of your life to fix it...:D

TI talking to student, "If you see him (points to vidiot) everything is going as planned. If you see anyone else here, something's a little wrong but it'll be alright. If you see me, well, something went REALLY wrong and you're kinda screwed."

The girl, thinking the harness is now broken starts freaking out as the TI pretends like he's trying to fix the now "broken" harness. :D:D:D:D

I recall someone here once describing an incident in which a tandem had a mal, and when the TI told the student he was going to cutaway, the student went apeshit because he thought the TI was going to cut him away in order to save himself.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh yeah, actually saw a student almost cry with this one on Saturday. Another instructor looks over, grabs one of the hooks that is snapped back, he simply unsnapped it but every skydiver around just gave a look of shear terror. The girl, thinking the harness is now broken starts freaking out as the TI pretends like he's trying to fix the now "broken" harness. :D:D:D:D

I'll play the old fuddy duddy.

If it's done for humor and the student understands its humor, no big deal.

But, if the student is actually caused to be more fearful, and really believes she is in more danger because of the joke, then that goes over the line. We shouldn't be terrorizing students for our personal amusement.

I'll play the old fuddy duddy.

If it's done for humor and the student understands its humor, no big deal.

But, if the student is actually caused to be more fearful, and really believes she is in more danger because of the joke, then that goes over the line. We shouldn't be terrorizing students for our personal amusement.

Give us some credit. After looking at some of the other tandem hanesses she realized what he had done. He got a good punch in the arm for it. :D

"Now if for some reason nothing opens and we're gonna hit the ground, I need you to take a deep breath for me and hold it right before impact, cuz you're my airbag."
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I heard a pretty good story that I'll repeat here (can't think of who told me it to give credit where its due).

A mother and daughter came out to do a tandem... the daughter went up first and the mother was on the ground acting very nervous. The TI and student were in freefall with the videographer.

The mother sees the parachute open and looks very relieved and then someone walks up to her and points to the videographer still in freefall and shouts "OH MY GOD. HE DROPPED HER!"

"No, it's the left handle first THEN the right one!" Stupid flying Elvises. :P We were doing that on the plane one day - Curley got pissed! :D:D:D

Rightfully so. That one is NOT funny.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"No, it's the left handle first THEN the right one!" Stupid flying Elvises. :P We were doing that on the plane one day - Curley got pissed! :D:D:D

Rightfully so. That one is NOT funny.

With students on board, not appropriate.

With just tandems and licensed jumpers OTOH...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If everything goes well, you'll have a great, soft landing...

If it doesn't go well, the last thing that goes thru your mind will be your instructor ;)

------------------------------------------

(as the video guy) No matter what happens to you, don't worry... I'll be JUST FINE!

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

A mother and daughter came out to do a tandem... the daughter went up first and the mother was on the ground acting very nervous. The TI and student were in freefall with the videographer.

The mother sees the parachute open and looks very relieved and then someone walks up to her and points to the videographer still in freefall and shouts "OH MY GOD. HE DROPPED HER!"

This is what I'm talking about. Making a mother feel that her daughter is facing certain imminent death is not funny. That definitely qualifies as a "worst comment".

(as tandem master) Immediately after opening I said "oh-oo" (because we were open about 1.5 miles downwind of the airport on a windy day) it's all farm fields so it's really no big deal. I was thinking more about the beer I'd have to buy. The student freaked out "OMG WHAT DO YOU MEAN!!!!" "ARE WE GONNA DIE?" Then I started laughing (that didn't help). I pointed to the buildings on the horizon and explained that we wouldn't be landing there, then to the muddy bean field beneath us and explained where we'd be landing. At that point he was ok with muddy shoes....woops.