guineapiggie101

doubling up on pain meds....

1. You're asking for medical advice.
("No; I'm just...")
Yes, you are. You should really ask a trained medical professional.

2. FWIW, last time I tried something like that in earnest, it caused intestinal pain, bladder pain, kidney pain and blood in my urine for 2 days. Quite a sight - brings you up short just as you're fixin' to flush. Anyhoo, YMMV.

not a physician, so ...

Doesn't seem to me a good sign that 4 days out is when you are thinking about doubling up on the pain meds. I mean, it seems to me that by day four minor stuff should be getting a bit better, yes?

If you were my daughter, I'd haul your butt down to the doc and have them look it over. It could very well be just minor bumps and bruises, but then again it could be something small but kinda serious that could become big and very serious if ignored.

BTW, lots of stuff on the A card that doesn't require doing actual jumps, so a non-jumping weekend could be very productive in moving you towards your A license.

Good luck. (oh, and read my sig!)

I've been in the medical field for 9 years now as a x-ray tech (you break it I look at it). I work with doctors and pharmacist's on a regular basis.

IF YOU ARE JUMPING INJURED YOU ARE GAMBLING! You're gambling that whatever injury you have isn't bad enough to become worse with the forces generated on any given skydive.

As for drugs...DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN THE PERSCRIBED/RECOMMENDED DOSE PERIOD! Also, don't take ANY advice on dosage from anyone other than the drug company or a medical doctor. With drugs you're not gambling with making an injury worse; You're gambling that if you go to sleep will you wake back up. I say this because I've seen it happen a few times where people take pain meds (albeit a good deal stronger than OTC stuff), go to sleep, and stop breathing because the drugs affected their CNS. Be safe, get better, then have fun.
Muff #5048

To be held back on the verge of success is frustrating, esp for someone who has struggled through most of AFF and for whom, finally, the "light" has come on

"Light"... DON'T FUCKING DIE!

You were very fortunate the first time. Here is some "light" for you... If you are not smart enough to know when to ground yourself, you should not be jumping!

I'm not going to apologize for being harsh - It's a dangerous sport and deserves the respect!!!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I've been in the medical field for 9 years now as a x-ray tech (you break it I look at it).

I just remembered a funny story, (less so for the guy involved):

(Keep in mind this was the bad old days of shooting accuracy by downwinding a Para-Commander (round) into the pea-gravel.)

Gary had a landing mishap on Saturday, and went into the ER. They x-rayed his leg, found no problem, so he resumed jumping on Sunday. Now Gary's parents had always been horrified of his jumping, and he had tried w/o success to get them to come out and watch. Sunday was the day they finally complied.

First jump of the day: Parents are standing by the pea-gravel, Gary shoots for the disc, and as his sore leg hits the gravel:

"SNAP!"

As he is ushered back into ER, one of the staff recognizes him:

"Hey, BTW; Last night the Chief Radiologist reviewed your x-rays and found a hairline fracture. We were going to call you, but now that you're back, we can tell you in person.":S:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Thats the problem with ER docs. They aren't really Radiologists, and even though I look at thousands of x-rays a month I still miss stuff (which is why we can't tell a pt if there's anything wrong or not).

Ive got a story too. We had a pt come (read walk) into the ER one afternoon complaining of a stiff neck. Sure enough I shot a c-spine series on him and on the odontoid shot the ER doc saw something that had him rubbing his noodle. So we call the on-call Rad, he looks at it (from home of course) and immediately calls back saying "Get that guy in a collar if he isn't already and put him on the CT table. Sure enough, we CT him and his atlas (c-1) was broken in 3 places. If that dude would have turned his head wrong he would have been a quadreplegic and he WALKED in.:S:o

Muff #5048

Thats the problem with ER docs. They aren't really Radiologists, and even though I look at thousands of x-rays a month I still miss stuff (which is why we can't tell a pt if there's anything wrong or not).

Ive got a story too. We had a pt come (read walk) into the ER one afternoon complaining of a stiff neck. Sure enough I shot a c-spine series on him and on the odontoid shot the ER doc saw something that had him rubbing his noodle. So we call the on-call Rad, he looks at it (from home of course) and immediately calls back saying "Get that guy in a collar if he isn't already and put him on the CT table. Sure enough, we CT him and his atlas (c-1) was broken in 3 places. If that dude would have turned his head wrong he would have been a quadreplegic and he WALKED in.:S:o

I have had a guy walk in with a hangman's fx. Fell off a ladder. Walked in cause his neck hurt. The poor xray tech was white as a ghost when we got to the room she was screaming at us from B| He did have to get surgery though. I wish I still had that picture...

As everyone has said - doctor NOW! Yes, it sucks to be so close and get injured, but as others have said, there is worse damage that can happen if you jump without knowing your injuries or pushing yourself too quickly with injuries.

Regarding the meds and doubling the dose, well...how about a nice case of liver damage or kidney failure or you can always end up with the wonderful coma/CNS/brain death issue. Each and every medication that is available whether it be OTC or prescribed has risks. Follow doctor's orders in regards to meds.

<-- in the medical field thankfully NOT working on humans but do know drugs and the risks associated with them.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I'm angry at myself for letting myself get hurt. It's been 4 months since I hurt my foot on a landing, and now this.

... You hurled yourself out of an airplane at the ground from thousands and thousands of feet up in the air, and you lived to talk about it. If that's not putting things into perspective, are you sure you're doing this for fun?

Yes, I am doing this for fun and I get great enjoyment out of jumping out of a plane.

I'm just the impatient type who doesn;t like to have things hinder me, whether I am doing serious or fun stuff.

Might be a sciatica thing. Took me about 3 f'ing months before I could move normally again when I pulled mine in the gym.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Lisa, I'm not trying to cause trouble here.

I'm just pissed at myself for injuring myself. And I am sooo close to getting off AFF :( .

I'll get it checked out. I still want to do my AFF 8 jump on Friday.

You'd best not be jumping under the influence of prescription painkillers. It's no different than jumping under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
Should something happen, the pilot gets hung out to try, particularly in light of your thread here.

Get in to see a doctor. It may be nothing, it may be something. Either way, you owe it to your fellow skydivers, instructors, and the pilot to be in good health and sound mind.
Doing anything else is irresponsible and if you're hiding painmeds from your instructors, it's despicable, IMO.

You and I both know that you know better than doing something like jumping under the influence of pain meds (doubled up or not).

DSE, my thread was NOT talking about doubling up on prescription pain meds. I know better than to go jumping on that stuff. I'm not stupid and I don't wish to put anybody in jeopardy.

I was talking more in the line of doubling up on the dosages of OTC pain medications (like aspirin or naproxene or stuff like that)

BTW, wish you the best in your healing.

You and I both know that you know better than doing something like jumping under the influence of pain meds (doubled up or not)

I would revise that a bit. Nothing wrong with going up while you have Advil on board. Ive done this a few times due to hard openings on my Cobalt before I had it modded (although on one of them I likely should have seen a doctor after it happened).

@guineapiggie101:

In my mind you have made the right decision. You're seeing a doc. Thats the first step. The next step may be a bit harder IF the doc tells you not to jump for a while. I, myself, have never been a fan of people telling me what I can and CAN'T do. As a result I now have a pinky finger on my left hand that always hurts and will never have full ROM. That type of thing is going to be a decision YOU have to make (read cost/benefit). I hope you heal quickly. I hope you get your license soon... but not to the detriment of your health because I hope to jump with you sometime (in a wingsuit lol).
Muff #5048

Yes, I am doing this for fun and I get great enjoyment out of jumping out of a plane.

I'm just the impatient type who doesn;t like to have things hinder me, whether I am doing serious or fun stuff.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're not dead. You're only a little hurt. Don't be angry at yourself that you got hurt, because, again, you just launched yourself out of an airplane. It could have been MUCH worse.

Your posts come across as you just wanting to get through AFF, no matter the cost. What happens then though? You still make jumps out of an airplane and have just as much fun as you're having now. If you're having fun during AFF, why the rush to be done with it? I can understand if you want to hurry up and get a license so that you can jump at other drop zones, but other than that, why the hurry?

I've made an appt to see my GP tomorrow to see what is going on with my lower back. Personally I think I just sprained it a bit. I dunno.

I'm angry at myself for letting myself get hurt. It's been 4 months since I hurt my foot on a landing, and now this.

Face it you broke you ass....aka coccyx

When i broke mine i could barely sit and walking was a sure "pain in the ASS"

No matter what i drink or the otc meds i took it barely touched the pain. So I just smoked pot. :ph34r: (That was back when I was a pot smoke snow bum. )

I am not suggesting you smoke pot or anything like that. I was just saying, that's what I did that helped....:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I know I sound frustrated in this thread, mainly because it has taken me sooo long to get through AFF. I have done over 20 jumps (repeated AFF 3 ten times), to get to this point. Things are now starting to click and I can pass levels on 1st try now (something I was never able to do). I see the light at the end of the tunnel and to have THIS happen. Yech. :(

The people and friends at the DZ have been SOOOO supportive of me and my journey, that I can't wait to share in this sport with them, to jump with them, etc. I want to jump with my friends and enjoy this sport with them.

Just so people don't get confused with question about prescription and OTC pain meds, I have asked a mod to remove this thread. I am not out to cause trouble or misunderstanding.

Millertime, if I ever get told to quit this sport, I would ignore that advice. Since I've started jumping, I've never been happier. My friends outside of skydiving, have noticed my change in personality and have commented to me about it.

It is fun to be up there and doing acrobatics and stuff. I just need to perfect my landing more and not do BUTT landings>:(

I guess I don't consider Advil a pain med. :P Vicodin was specifically mentioned; that's a pain med. Dilaudid, etc.
Bottom line is this:

If you are a student and have physical pain/issues and hide it, mask it, deny it and then go on a jump with an instructor, you've asked the instructor to make decisions based on false/missing information.
That is despicable, because if something goes wrong, the instructor is the one that carries that burden, even tho it was the student who was deceptive.

that's a pain med. Dilaudid, etc

HOLY CRAP!! I was unaware hey made this shit in pill form. But yeah, the mind altering stuff is what I figured you meant. And all-in-all, exceeding the dosage (without a physicians say so) is a terrible idea for reasons I listed up-thread.
Muff #5048

Dilaudid is also known as hydromorphone. T'is what I'm using for pain management immediately following the procedure. Even this doesn't affect me (remember my pain tolerance when you helped move me in rehab?)

Whether I *think* I'm affected or not...no way will I skydive, drive, nor make business decisions while even just 2mg of this stuff is in my system.

Medications aside, as we all know jumping while medicated is a bad thing, DO NOT jump when you have a possible injury.

Get it checked out before you jump again.
You need that back for the rest of your life.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

You learn something new everyday I guess. I also agree with not driving/skyjumping/anything else that requires you to make sound decisions regarding safety while on stuff like this.

On a different front (and not to hijack the thread) I hope you get through your surgery quickly and painlessly.

Since it seems you jump where guineapiggie101 jumps, I would advise her listening to your advice. You may be old, but you DEFINITELY know your shit when it comes to prescription pain meds.

I'm sure she'll be fine, and after lurking all her post's about getting through AFF, I'm kind of pulling for her to get cleared to self supervise.:)

Muff #5048

Medications aside, as we all know jumping while medicated is a bad thing, DO NOT jump when you have a possible injury.

Get it checked out before you jump again.
You need that back for the rest of your life.

Ill +1 to this. I never knew how much you use your pinky finger in everyday tasks, let alone when working out. If I would have put the Mesquite boogie on standby and had my finger looked at I wouldn't be writing this right now. Although a little finger for a bunch of great jumps... To me it was worth it.... But a spine isn't a little finger. Think about that when making your next jumping decision.
Muff #5048