NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

I did an online translation of that story and it seems the bike was shipped to Belgium in 1942. The private owner rode it once or twice and then he crashed. So not wanting to ride anymore he stored it in his backyard. When it got in the way of his kids play area he opened an old well and dumped the bike down into it and covered it over.

Then the fellow in the photos (who I think is a relative who heard the story) dug it up! Pretty cool!

BTW, Nina and I are entered into upcoming Easy Rider Bike Show at the Los Angeles Convention Center in the spectator judging class! It's on the 8th!

NickD :)

Gotta love translator programs:
In the past month was September in Liedekerke a Harley-Davidson by David Weaver and Walter Walckiers extracted from the ground that are over stabbing forty-eight years.
How could this then?
* 1937 - 1941: In the workshops of Harley-Davidson Harley, a new W-series was born.
* 1942: America, a Harley in a wooden box and plugged shipped to Europe, especially to Belgium.
Arrived get it back together and then the road.
This bike was in the areas of Liedekerke driving around the last pilot Grandfather Paul.
A reminder tells the grandson of David:
- He then drove it around a few years and can still remember some things like on one day that he was touring around the village where he lives (liedekerke).
It consisted only of small streets and then he was the only one with HD, but he took a corner too fast and went so hard on the brakes and came to rest on the sidewalk outside the entrance to a pub! He dared anything else and then moving away to the bar to order a glass of beer.
Grandfather Paul himself said: - Amai azo ne moto in the time I drove it another 140 and my legs were behind the motorbike.
The '40 - '50:
But at that time was rather difficult to make ends meet and because they had 3 children at home than it was decided that the HD stand behind their house into a place!
There he stood still for years at a certain moment when the children grew and began to play regularly at the place where it was!
1960 - 1961: Daughter Rita, mother of David excavator fall from the motorbike while playing.
Grandfather with many gestures and swearing saying: "Now it's done, da piece of iron out of here"
They will be a deep hole dug in the backyard and that's where the HD at the end of his life.
Until early 2009 in an OPEN HOUSE in Dilbeek
Among the many motorcyclists who together enjoy a cold Belgian beer, the stories on the table.
Until someone starts telling me that in Pajottenland a Harley-Davidson has 50 years, 2 meters deep, in between a backyard chickens, is buried.
Many disbelief.
Was it because Wally, that story told?
Still, someone came to ask him, "Wally, you are now at the slaver ofwa?" No he told Mario, owner of Harley-Davidson Capital Brussels.
I've seen a picture of about 15 years ago in the possession of David Weaver, grandson of Paul Cobbaert.
Those who treasure under the ground has stopped.
The motorbike is equally exposed and then the pit back view.
Their existence proved Mario asks, "So what?
It can not go on lying there? "
So now the challenge.
David persuade the engined was easy to dig, but Grandfather?
To convince him in his backyard from the chicken and pigeon behind his prize with his beloved animals, digging a pit to take out the HD?
Sure enough, after several months and continue to insist on a last bottle of gin which were dominant, they got the permission for the digging.
September 11, 2009 - Armed with all the necessary tools and the like, they are ready in the morning at 08.30 am in the backyard.
08.48u:
David, about knowing where the HD is buried, begins to dig a square.
The excavations began.
09.16u:
They will be a piece of iron excavated.
Are we good?
This sounds like a side support from a Moto.
Later transpired was a simple ordinary iron table leg.
Still, we continued with full courage dig further.
09.37u:
Paul is spot Grandfather's see what they are doing.
This one is laughing at them in disbelief and watching.
And his wise words, "Alee boys, so dig a pit where nothing is.
You sit there a little next hearing. "
After having explained to them about what direction they take, they start with half breath, now the major excavation work.
And then, 10.21u:
Yes, after 2 hours digging and first 3 meters next dug, they emit a band of the HD.
10.35 u: spokes, or what remains, emerge.
Now they do.
This is why they are here.
A Harley-Davidson for almost 50 years buried.
15.34u: After 3 hours digging very carefully. .
And exposing it, even with brush and trowel.
15.57h: the first movement and then a rest break.
They will be carefully attached to a cord still quite a strong part of the framework.
And become the first HD in the well corrected.
After this, using a pulley, pull it back the HD from the well.
19.46u: They have been working almost 10 hours, are devastated by this still very heavy task.
But he will be back above ground.
David Weaver, aka "Big" and Walckiers Walter, aka "Wally" have their Harley-Davidson.

>>I haven;t heard yet if he made it all the way!
That's Paul Ousey with the 1913 Harley. He skipped a couple of the very steep sections of the Cannonball, but still completed 2,600 of the 3,294 mile course. He came in 3rd place in Category II but you know, they have it set up so almost everyone wins something, so I not sure what that means . . . LOL!

Sorry if this was posted before. Found it interesting.

1913 HARLEY

It was posted over at Neds, but I don't think it has been here yet! He road that on the cross country connon ball race for pre 1918's , I haven;t heard yet if he made it all the way!

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=235:2010-cannonball-final-results&catid=43:run-by-stages&Itemid=106

Not sure if this was the race or not.

Loved that show, when I was a kid.

A bro and I built this last winter. It's a '73 XLCH. He picked up a basket case for $1000.00. The original cases were shot, but another set of cases came with the bike. Easy swap over as we had to rebuild the engine anyways.

The old Irons were notorious for running hot which contributed to poor performance. We coated the combustion chambers with a polymer coating that was supposedly developed by NASA. It did lower the temperature by about 10*f. The top of the pistons were also coated. Coating is baked on.

After honing the cylinders, we coated them with a dry film metal bonding lubricant to reduce friction between the wall and the ring, thus lowering the cylinder temperature.

Moped Ed wanted to paint it the basic black, but I had Bronson in mind. I also wanted to put the Bronson triangle and eye on the tank. He didn't want to go that far, but did agree with going with a red.

We call him Moped Ed cuz he also rides a souped-up Puch with the Moped Army. Check out some of their videos on Youtube. Some wild shit. These guys party hard and ride these things hard. They swarm cities with up to 1000 mopeds. Ed's father is a retired Vagos out of Riverside county from back in the '60's. I asked Ed what is old man said about him finally getting a real bike. Told him that he laughed and said the only real bike is an Indian. His bike of choice.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this beautiful piece of American machinery. Even though AMF had H-D spit these bikes out by the 1000s, you don't see so many around anymore.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I gotta hand to "Jax" - Charlie Hunnam - from Son's of Anarchy! He hung out way past the time he was scheduled and made sure every girlie that swooned over him got a chance to meet him. And when he did finally leave, it wasn't in a limo, he rode his own bike out into the LA night. It was pretty cool! He's a good Son!

Way cool Nick!!!:)
I've always thought the "spectator judged" winners are the best. You have everyones opinion, so it isn't just what's currently fashionable or in the magazines that will win.

I gotta ask though - What took first?

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo