NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

Well here goes seat number four. The original one I had wasn't working. The two I purchased off E-Bay were close but not spot on, so I decided to just make my own seat. The problem with the last two was neither seat pan was thick enough to resist bending, and the amount of kick up in the rear wasn't high or deep enough to hold me in place.

The glue on the pad is drying right now on the new one and tomorrow I'll make the cover . . .

I can't believe all the different skills I needed to build Nina. Mechanical, electrical, design and fabrication, painting, and now upholstery, LOL!

Overall the worst part was the run to the craft store this morning for the high density foam I need to make the pad. The woman there gobbling up the Black Friday sales were brutal and taking no prisoners!

NickD :)

I could make plain Jane seats all day long and off 'em on E-bay, but people want custom leather with tooled designs in them. You have to be somewhat more artistic than I am for that.

I just came back from helping a friend with his bike that wouldn't start. It's a '99 first year Twin Cam but with a carburetor instead of fuel injection. He got it for $6000 and it only has 20G on the odometer. The mixture screw on the CV carb was too far out, so I fixed that, and it started, but it wouldn't idle without dying. If you keep twisting the throttle it would run so I knew the accelerator pump was working and the problem had to be in the one of the other fuel delivery circuits. I brought a CV rebuild kit with me so I pulled the carb and rebuilt it figuring being 11 years old with so little mileage on it all the rubber seals and diaphragms were toasted.

I put it back on and it did the same thing. So I was kinda stumped but knew it had to be a fuel delivery problem. I tried taking the fuel caps off to see if it was pressure locking from a bad fuel vent but that wasn't it either.

So then I looked at his fuel petcock and noticed it looked a lot different than the one on Nina. So I looked it up on my Droid X phone and sure enough instead of being purely mechanical this was a vacuum operated petcock. And there was a recall on it. I guess Harley started using those in 1999 for some EPA crap.

I drained his fatbobs, pulled the petcock, and ran down to the dealer and got another one and installed it. She fires up and runs like a champ now and my friend things I'm a freaking genius, LOL!

You have the right idea, Gypsy, stick with the older stuff!

Speaking of new injected shit, (not even a shut off on this damn thing, totally vacume operated fuel flow, fuckin nuts if ya ask me) Did I post the pics of my son riding his first dresser , his second blockhead? We may end up owning this one...
Can you imagin being only 16 and having all the Harley miles this kid already has under your belt?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Beach/009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Beach/013.jpg

LOL, what happened to hear no Evo, see no Evo?

You won't be able to say that anymore!

4500 for that bike....that is what happened....B|

I'll tour it, then turn it!;)

4500? DAMN!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

She sure is pretty! Thank you for letting me touch her. ;)

I didn't understand a darn thing you guys were talking about, but it was a nice afternoon.

Can't wait to see the new seat. I promise I didn't spill beer on the materials. lol

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Finished up the new seat and test rode it. This one will work as it's custom made for my butt, LOL! I went charging up a hill getting on Nina pretty hard and I was just hanging on with my fingertips. This seat finally has enough kick up to hold me in!

Gee, if nothing breaks I guess I'm done wrenching for a while . . .

For those of us lucky enough to be there, ya might see yourself, and for the others, a great prompt to make it next year!
STURGIS: THE WILD RIDE
AIRS TONIGHT ON
THE TRAVEL CHANNEL!
Tonight’s the night. Make sure to watch or set your recorders for The Travel Channel’s Sturgis: The Wild Ride at 7 pm and 10 pm EST. Maybe you’ll see your own smilin’ face! In Tuesday’s regular edition of the Sturgis Rider News, we’ll tell you how you can let us know what you thought of the program. It airs again on Thursday, Dec. 9 at 7 and 10 pm EST.