SpeedRacer

Chigger bites! Help!

I was hiking in the shenandoahs on Saturday and after I went swimming in a stream I must have gotten jumped by a bunch of chiggers while I was sitting down to put my shoes on. Anyone got any ideas about making the bites heal /stopping the itch? I am trying not to scratch.
>:(
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It's been years since I've had chiggers, but for other insect bites, I use Solarcaine (lidocaine HCL). Or if you have an aloe vera plant, just break a leaf open and rub the juice into the bites - works for fire ant and most other insect bites, so it might work for chiggers too.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason they still itch is because they are in ya still chewing.

You have to kill the lil' monsters before you have any chance of healing.

What I use to do is dab ammonia on the bites with a cotton ball if you haven't scratched the skin raw...do it every 15 minutes for an hour or so and the itching stops and ya start to heal.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If I'm no mistaken the reason they still itch is because they are in ya still chewing. You have to kill the lil' monsters before you have any chance of healing.

What I use to do is dab ammonia on the bites with a cotton ball if you haven't scratched the skin raw...do it every 15 minutes for an hour or so and the itching stops and ya start to heal.

No, I looked it up. They do not burrow down into your skin, The larvae just sit on the suerface and chew a feeding tube in your skin. They get scraped off or washed off, but the released enzymes trigger itching & inflammation for days or longer. I scraped one off (they are tiny and you can barely see one) and looked at it under a microscope. Ugly, round little bastards.
Speed Racer

Mammals are not the intended target for North American chiggers. They are meant to target reptiles and birds. Problem for the chigger is if they attach to a mammal, they trigger itching. That causes the mammal to scratch, which usually dislodges the chigger and kills it.

In Asia there are chiggers which ARE meant to target mammals. They don't cause itching in mammals, so they can feed and then drop off to continue their life cycle.
Speed Racer

Cover 'em with clear finger nail polish.

was just about to suggest this. I got chigger bites a few weeks ago (thought they were regular ole mosquito bites before they swelled up to the size of silver dollars).

Put some nail polish on the bites before bed, and they were almost gone by the next morning!

More than I ever needed to know about chigger bites.

And I don't care what it says, nail polish works dang it.

Nothing happier than a chigger with a fresh manicure.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Scratching the bites would temporarily relieve the itch, but it would also damage the skin, causing your body to release MORE inflammatory cytokines at that spot, causing the area to itch MORE.

So I have restrained myself from scratching. When it starts to itch, I pour cold water on it instead of scratching.

It's been a few days now, and I still have the bumps, but because I don't scratch, the itching is pretty much gone.

Now I will self-medicate with a variety pack of Flying Dog beer.
Speed Racer