wmw999

Goin' to court

I do court-based mediations at some small-claims courts around here; it helps keep me off the streets :). That said, I'm continually amazed by the number of people who don't bother showing up for court. In my experience, at one court especially, I'd say that roughly 50% of the cases have someone missing.

I realize they don't come and drag you to jail or anything, but dang -- don't people care???

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Mediation is voluntary, and nonbinding. Therefore, your time is their time. No, some people really don't care. The sense of entitlement that has gotten in to folks heads is like a narcotic. The terminus between right and wrong is severely blurred. It's sad. Pathetic. But speaks to the character of those your career has caused you to have to interact with.
Run away........[:/]

And the ones who do show up, don't dress up, or even clean up sometimes. :o Nice first impression [:/]

Hello Nice lady

I resemble that remark:)
But we did show up for mediation as required prior to SC court, ( bib overalls etc). The contractor even showed up but wanted to settle for pennies on the $.

We declined and weeks later we went to small claims court with the same outfit, and even won. Not because the way we were dressed, we had our documentation and the contractor was "to busy to attend".

Sometimes even poor white trailer trash can win in court if they can act professional, research the law and use a spell checker, and show up with documentation pics, etc.

IMO The Ken and barbie dolls with all their bling bling can be as much a turnoff just as bad as us PWTT.

FWIW My Bibbs, & shirt were starched and ironed:P

R.

And the ones who do show up, don't dress up, or even clean up sometimes. :o Nice first impression [:/]

Hello Nice lady

I resemble that remark:)
But we did show up for mediation as required prior to SC court, ( bib overalls etc). The contractor even showed up but wanted to settle for pennies on the $.

We declined and weeks later we went to small claims court with the same outfit, and even won. Not because the way we were dressed, we had our documentation and the contractor was "to busy to attend".

Sometimes even poor white trailer trash can win in court if they can act professional, research the law and use a spell checker, and show up with documentation pics, etc.

IMO The Ken and barbie dolls with all their bling bling can be as much a turnoff just as bad as us PWTT.

FWIW My Bibbs, & shirt were starched and ironed:P

R.

You won by default. But, a win, is a win.....!!;););)

IMO The Ken and barbie dolls with all their bling bling...

I remember one judge giving his general speech to the assembled traffic court masses, that said something like; "Don't step in front of me and tell me you don't have the money to pay your fine, while wearing your fancy Rolex watch and pearl necklace, because there's a place right across the street called a 'pawn shop' where you can trade those in to get the money you need..." It was funny how many people started sneakily removing expensive watches and jewelry and hiding them in their pockets.

Clean is good. Tube tops generally aren't appropriate for court, especially if you shouldn't have a spandex license in the first place.

Around here, some of the judges ask the litigants to go to mediation; the mediated agreement is brought to the judge, and becomes the judgment. As we tell them, an agreement that they come to between themselves is generally more likely to be actually adhered to.

Generally, my cases start out with:
"guy A owes me money"
"yes, I do, and I'm out of work"

and then they figure out what is actually possible.

Sometimes not, but most of the people seem to be pretty honest.

One thing to think about -- if you're not willing to take part in processes like court, and jury duty -- are we really then a nation of laws? And now I'll step away from the soapbox

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I cared to show up for all my speeding tickets...and won about 1/2 of them. ;)

A funny courtroom episode when I was in Savannah GA. I was living there and went to court to argue a speeding ticket. The guy ahead of me a few spots goes in front of a judge and she starts looking at his records. Then she pauses, takes off her glasses, looks at him and says "Sir, I see here that you were arrested on Dec. 18th in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004..(she read about 5 of 6 years in a row when he got arrested the same day.) Why do you like to get in trouble on that day?" He says "that's my birthday your honor."

I think noone in the courtroom could stop laughing for about 5 minutes including the judge. :D:D

In San Diego I got subpoenaed by one of the company employees who fell at work, he was doing a status report on inventory in the storage lot, it was @ 5am & he hadn't clocked in yet.
...5 minute job he'd do on his way from the parking lot to the main facility.

Older guy, broken leg...he just wanted workmans comp to help out, the company refused--- not clocked it.:S

I was his supervisor but I wasn't there...off jumping an air show demo. It was a lose/lose for me, he 'was' working...but then again the company pays my bills. I tried ducking getting served but a hot blond chick leaning on my car 'nailed me' with papers @ 2am leaving a bar one night.:(

So I'm in court on the stand, 1st question and I'm asked if I witnessed the fall..."No, I was performing a skydiving demonstration at an air show out of state."

The judge then says, "Then I take it you have no first hand information concerning the circumstances?"

"No your honor."

"Well then, as long as you're here, why don't you tell us about Skydiving at Airshows!":o

He was SERIOUS!
...so I gave a 5 minute dissertation on the what, when, where, why & how ~the judge and the lawyers thanked me and I left. :)

My boss gave me a big sloppy 'attaboy' when I got to work! B|

'Forrest Gumped' my way through another tight one...Saved by the sport!! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi WMW

If you can handle SC you'll do great in mediator

>>Around here, some of the judges ask the litigants to go to mediation>>

I'm not sure if mediation is required state wide for small claims court but it is in the county we live in. If both parities are reasonable and have documentation it should work.

>>Generally, my cases start out with:
"guy A owes me money"
"yes, I do, and I'm out of work">>

Judge judy hears that stuff every day with the standard failure to comunicate and document.

"I loaned X the money, X responds it was a gift"

>>One thing to think about -- if you're not willing to take part in processes like court, and jury duty -- are we really then a nation of laws? And now I'll step away from the soapbox>>

I agree ...... sort of. Some employers pay their employee's full salary while their on Jury duty. Feds for sure.

OTOH A small employer can't afford that and a person thats living from payday to payday is going to be hurting on $10/day jury duty pay.

R.
One Jump Wonder

if you're not willing to take part in processes like court, and jury duty -- are we really then a nation of laws? And now I'll step away from the soapbox

I haven't been called in YEARS for jury duty. I'd gladly go. I pay taxes, vote, and keep guns in the house, all of which I consider my civic duty. I'd gladly serve on a jury.

if you're not willing to take part in processes like court, and jury duty -- are we really then a nation of laws? And now I'll step away from the soapbox

I haven't been called in YEARS for jury duty. I'd gladly go. I pay taxes, vote, and keep guns in the house, all of which I consider my civic duty. I'd gladly serve on a jury.

You just want a day off of work.:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Hi J&V

Be carefull what you all wish for. ;)

My Boss and I didn't get the draft letters until after we were both retired:| I think now we've gotten 5 of them.B|

Pierce Co Wa was paying $10/day about 5 yr's ago. But it's not about the $$. Its our civic duty:)

Jury duty: No handicap parking, no free parking, no milk and cookies, no bus pass, B| When my boss finally got her $10/day check it was attached to another draft letter :o:S

Being a G (word) owner won't help. My Boss had done a year in WCCW (purdy), had relatives that had been shot, and actually got chosen for a Trial.

R.

One Jump Wonder

Got another funny one! This was 1971 so Pull-ease, don't bother me with racial comments. This is just the way it was back then.

I was a small town cop at court. In walks an older, down on his luck black man to see the judge...for some reason or other. Judge asks black man if he's guilty of the crime. Black man says yes and thank you very profusely. Judge hands him a 30 day sentence for the somewhat minor offense. The poor black man says Thank you Judge profusely over and over. Judge asks him why he is so thankful to be sentenced to 30 days in jail. Black man, with a big wide smile says..."cause I gots me a place to stay Mr. Judge, I just gots me a nice place to stay!" Thereupon, the entire courtroom, black and white audience burst into laughter. Such was life in 1971.

In court waiting on a case, there was a traffic hearing going on. The 30something yuppie on the stand is answering the judges questions...

"So you're now saying 'bla bla bla' isn't true, and you lied to the officer is that correct?"

"Yes"

"Why did you lie to the officer?"

"The officer is a VERY attractive woman your honor, I guess it's just force of habit"

The judge was laughing so hard he about fell out of his chair! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi 008

I was :o when i moved to KCMO in 1970 and found out that women or maybe just women with kids got a free pass from jury duty.

Times change, fast fwd 40 yr's and we were sitting in court room in the PNW and a lady with a little baby on her hip tried to plead guilty to burning garbage in a burn barrel.B|

The judge was not happy and advised her to get a PD or he had the right to sentence her to a yr in jail on the spot and DSHS would immediatly take custody of the child.:o:S

The judge cautioned the lady that once she plead guilty his decison could not be appealed:o

The lady took the judges offer for a PD.:)
We later found out the lady was to poor to afford trash service and was a repeat offender, The child on her hip was her grand daughter:(

Being poor sucks.

R.

One Jump Wonder