Krip

Teen speak in the 2000's

HI folks

Since we've been lurking DZ.com we've learned lots of neat stuff like Youtube, Tats, sex etc:)
We don't know or want to know any teens and I'm sure the feeking is mutual:)
But while watching Utube for a refresher (how to use a tap and die set) we ran across one video by a teen, He wasn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer, his video was disjointed etc etc.

What caught my attention was the constant use of terms "retarded" and "gay" every time the teen had a brain fart. I wasn't offended by the teen slang, he's not my kid.

But we've read about cyber bullying and the negative effect it can have on other teens.

My question is how commen is the use of term gay and retarded by the teens, is it dependent on socio, economic coditions and parenting or has it just gone viriual amd is the latest cool thing to do.

R
One Jump Wonder

Extremely common. In fact, in my low to mid 20s, it's still pretty much standard for this age. I don't actually know anyone who doesn't use the term 'retarded', and only a few who refrain from calling things gay, and it's usually only the extremely liberal ones I know that avoid the term 'gay' out of respect for those that may take offence. It's pretty much just standard.

Extremely common.

...Amongst teens....and then older, less discerning, bozos, too.

(Let's be sure to be specific here.)

In fact, in my low to mid 20s, it's still pretty much standard for this age. I don't actually know anyone who doesn't use the term 'retarded', and only a few who refrain from calling things gay,

Well, that explains a lot of your on-line postings.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Extremely common. In fact, in my low to mid 20s, it's still pretty much standard for this age. I don't actually know anyone who doesn't use the term 'retarded', and only a few who refrain from calling things gay, and it's usually only the extremely liberal ones I know that avoid the term 'gay' out of respect for those that may take offence. It's pretty much just retarded.

there, fixed it for you! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

But we've read about cyber bullying and the negative effect it can have on other teens.

First, one has to realize that teens, in general, have not yet developed the brain-power that includes empathy. Nor have they yet expanded their awareness of others to the point of escaping the bubble of innate ego-centrism. Some never do "grow up".

So, yes. It's all too common.

Where my opinion might seem to fail is in the idea that the whole teen language thing appears to be getting worse as time goes on but that is misleading when you consider that, as a kid, I probably thought a lot of the same things as today's youth but I damned sure would not have verbalized it upon penalty a good ass-whuppin' from my father or a good paddlin' from the dean at school.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First, one has to realize that teens, in general, have not yet developed the brain-power that includes empathy. Nor have they yet expanded their awareness of others to the point of escaping the bubble of innate ego-centrism. Some never do "grow up".

So, yes. It's all too common.

Where my opinion might seem to fail is in the idea that the whole teen language thing appears to be getting worse as time goes on but that is misleading when you consider that, as a kid, I probably thought a lot of the same things as today's youth but I damned sure would not have verbalized it upon penalty a good ass-whuppin' from my father or a good paddlin' from the dean at school.
[:/]

Hi Pops

So If I want to act cool with the in crowd at the mall or BMX park I just need to use those words.B|

I think when we were teenie boppers we all used words that today :$ To bad I can't remember any.:( Google :)

I'm surprised that the brits use those words but maybe our parents are getting even with them for the Beetles.;)

Any other countries where the teens use those words?

R.
One Jump Wonder

Any other countries where the teens use those words?

R.

Yep, i work with Teens and they use Gay and retarded often.
2 years ago "HELLA" was big thank christ that's done with.:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not a US thing, it's global. The people I know in Australia and New Zealand use it equally as much as they do here in South Africa.

But dude, if you plan to rock the skate park, you're going to need some mad steez in your swag. Otherwise they're totally going to think you're gay if you go act retarded.

In the Boston area you would always hear the word "retarded," even back in the 70s.

And in Texas too. It's pretty much universal, but used a lot more today, I think. The use of "gay" seems pretty new, but kids today, or at least the ones I know, seem to be a lot more accepting of "diverse sexual orientations" so the word has lost a lot of punch. It's used more in humor than it is in hate. And that's a good thing.