Marinus

I smoked half my life now....

where will you do it!? i've been to texel about a month back, really nice DZ there..

oh, you know you will be waiting around for pretty long while you do your AFF? that's not the best prerequisits for quiting smoking. just sayin'..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

If I quit today, I'll be an irritating reformed smoker for 6 months before skydiving season starts again. By that time standing around idle without a cig will be much less of an issue.

As for the DZ: for now I'm going with Teuge, (for no better reason then it being the nearest DZ) but I'm open to suggestions.

Rock on Marinus.
Good to hear:)I was going to say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it.

Great way to spend the money saved :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I quit a couple of years ago. It's hard, but if it is something you want, the you'll be able to do it.

A friend of mine told me something that really helped me out: "There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, it is just a smoker who is not smoking. So with that in mind, you are a puff away from chain smoking the rest of your life. All you have to do is not take that first puff."

It makes sense and it really helped me.

GOOD LUCK!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I love reading this! B| I hope you find the strength to beat your addiction. Are you going to use a patch or anything to help you those first few weeks?

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Good Luck!

After quitting, there are some small things that happen to many ex-smokers that you may not consider to be a big deal, but it was a shocker to me when I quit 12 years ago. Perhaps it was psychological, but I swear I could smell and taste food MUCH better. Oh ... and breathing was nice too. :)
Obviously talk to your doctor, but you may want to consider starting or ramping up a physical exercise routine. It can help some people during the process and won't hurt in the long-run either.

Since you probably smoked in your home, I suggest cleaning the carpets and other upholstery soon after you quit. Shampoo them or have them professionally cleaned. Wash all your clothes and jackets. If you smoked in your car, you may have a chore ahead, but do your best to get the smell out of there, too.

Enjoy!

Been quit for almost 25 years now (roughly half of my life, so far) and don't miss it at all.:)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Congrats on the decision to quit, it is a huge step in life.

I smoked for 10 years straight before deciding to quit. Quitting took a few attempts and was very difficult, but I am so happy it is over with.

Tell everyone you know that you are quitting, it will help you stick to it when you are around them :)

Good luck with it. It's a lot about desire. You have to want to quit.

Like AggieDave said, you'll never be a non-smoker or an ex-smoker. You'll always be a smoker, just one who doesn't smoke.

It may take a couple tries. If you give in and have one, don't give up, just quit again. Getting some help is a good idea. Here in the US there's lots of "quit lines" and "quit help" websites. They've got lots of good ideas on things to make it easier.

Things will smell better, food will taste better. But most of all you'll feel better.

No more coughing up yellow/brown/green shit in the morning.
For me, I found that a few months later, I didn't run out of breath anymore. If I was on a bicycle, my legs called it quits before my lungs did. That was rather amazing.

It's really worth it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You have to want to quit.

That's the key...gotta mind fuck yourself into wanting it more than the addiction draw.

I tried acupuncture...fail

Patches....nada, they're a bitch to keep lit.

~finally conditioned my head to want it, cut down the number smoked in 1/2 every 3 days until zero...the last few days I knew I could do it because they started like crap, food started tasting good, I was feeling healthier.

I'm in the gym an hour a day every day, lost weight - shifted ballast...:Dwish I'd done it long ago.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You have to want to quit.

That's the key...gotta mind fuck yourself into wanting it more than the addiction draw.

I tried acupuncture...fail

Patches....nada, they're a bitch to keep lit.

~finally conditioned my head to want it, cut the number smoked in 1/2 every 3 days until zero...the last few days I knew I could do it because they started tasting like crap and I was seen it was more habbit than desire... food started tasting good, I was feeling healthier.

I'm in the gym an hour a day every day, lost weight - shifted ballast...:Dwish I'd done it long ago.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Maybe you ought to make a bet with ReTwardo...:P

I got 10 months in...chewin' about 700 pounds of sunflower seeds every week but whatever works!;)

Mom quit cold turkey after smoking 40 years. She got through by chewing straws. However, sunflower seeds probably taste better. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Good luck. Addictions suck.

It's been a few years for me, and I don't consider myself a "smoker who doesn't smoke." I'm an ex-smoker who gags at the sight/smell of cigarettes (though I don't give other people a hard time about smoking unless they're blowing smoke in my face or something).

Move to California. Cigarettes are so demonized here that it makes it easier to quit. No one will think of you as an annoying reformed smoker. Well, unless it's that other stuff that you smoke, then Cali's not the place to try to quit. :P

Good luck! :)

About 3 years ago I lost a bet to twardo in 2007 about who could quit the longest. The result was me taking a trip to Houston to attend SkyFest at Spaceland. I've tried quittin' several times and the most effective thus far for helping to quit was Chantix. However, I transferred from Japan back to the US before I could finish the dosage and they wouldn't give me the doses before I left, so I fell off the wagon and I'm once again a chimney, but I've lost my desire to quit.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Thanks for all the support, tips etc.. I’ve set the date for quitting which will be tomorrow. I’ve a couple of days off, so I can make the plunge without making too many enemies. I think I’ll take a couple of drinks too many tonight, cause I figured that nothing says “Welcome to your new life” more clear, then walking the dogs in the morning in the pouring rain with a hangover whilst hating the world and feeling sorry for one self.

Great way to spend the money saved

Save it, throw it away and throw myself away with it. A one-liner from the flick “300” comes to mind.

the dz being close is a good enough reason to choose that one!

Of course every DZ in the Netherlands is close, so distance isn’t that big of an issue when choosing one. But I’ve months to figure out which DZ suits me best.

"There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, it is just a smoker who is not smoking. So with that in mind, you are a puff away from chain smoking the rest of your life. All you have to do is not take that first puff."

That’s completely true. I don’t smoke or I smoke all day. I’ve tried to quit before (not in the recent past though, I gave up on quitting years ago). and it really only takes one cig to relapse again. But today I realized that I’ve smoked for 17 years and 2 months, I’m almost 34 years and 4 months old, and the idea that In the near future I’ll be smoking for most of my life was particularly depressing, so I’ll give it a shot again. Being somewhat older and wiser might help this time...

Are you going to use a patch or anything to help you those first few weeks?

I’ll try cold turkey first. But I’ve a couple of sleeping pills ready to get me through the first nights. I know from experience that lying awake all night thinking of smoking is about just as fun as it sounds.
@craigbey
I remember one time I quit, I noticed something was different with the world. It took me hours before I figured that I actually smelled the world. As for exercise, that’ll come automatically. The dogs are in for a dog-walking marathon, and I’ll probably leave the car in favour of the bicycle for distances under 20 miles in the next weeks. Well, that’s how it will be if it goes down like the last couple of times. I probably won’t go exercising for real, but I’ll be burning off the excess of energy regardless.

Maybe you ought to make a bet with ReTwardo...

Who?

I got 10 months in...chewin' about 700 pounds of sunflower seeds every week but whatever works!

Ah.
Congrats on the 10 months. And If I’m not mistaken, sunflower seeds are horribly healthy.
@ missbrz:
I’ve never quit long enough to see if there was putting on weight. I don’t think my eating pattern changes much, but If I’m not mistaken, nicotine stimulates metabolism, so you tend to “waste” less energy which eventually probably leads to a higher wing load.

Tell everyone you know that you are quitting, it will help you stick to it when you are around them

That’s what I’m doing amongst other things with this topic. It sure helps when others know you want to quit.

if you google it theres a list that shows how quickly after you quit you will notice changes in your body. In as little as a few hours your body is already healing itself and in weeks the body will make great strides!! Good luck!!

Unfortunately not all the improvements feel that good. I especially hate when the lungs start to get rid of 17 years of accumulated asphalt. But the real nasty phase will be over in a couple of (rather horrible) days. And then it gets better.

It's a lot about desire. You have to want to quit.

I think I’ve the right mindset right now. While I really like some of the cigs I smoke, I hate the other 20-25 that’s just for keeping my addicted brain-cells at bay. It’s stupid, it’s not worth it, and I want to be free of it.