Marinus

I smoked half my life now....

Thanks for bumping this thread :)
I quit exactly 48 hours ago to the minute and was really glad to see this thread on here. I've been using three of the Nicorette lozenges a day for the past two days, but still i'm jittery. I've smoked consistently for the past 12 years now with only one small break. I've gnawed through several plastic knives here at work and have gotten into arguements about stupid things with my co-workers. They all know I'm quitting and make fun of me any time any time I try to pick a fight about a mundane detail.

Again, thanks for the bump. I feel better ;)

BUMP!

It's almost a week (6 days, 21 hours) now, so I practice my constitutional right to do some attention whoring. Things are going great btw, it's been much easier than I expected it to be.

While it wasn't the most pleasant week of my life, over all it has been a profoundly positive experience. There's some mild cravings, but it can't really compete with the added health I'm already starting to notice.

I didn't gain weight yet, (I'm loosing weight at the moment) but I picked up some bad habits. My consumption of chewing gum went through the roof, from about 5 pieces to around 50 a day. Actually that was the only bad habit I picked up, but it seems I've a serious chewing gum problem....

Well, that's about it, I think I'll bore you all again when I make it to one month. And guess where the 50 Euros I saved this week are going B|:)

Ok, you're doing great so far! Now concentrate on making it another week, just take it one day at a time. Never forget that one little puff will waste all your efforts! Refuse to let that happen!
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Kudos on saving money already, everything that hurts the tobacco companies is a good thing. I don't think I'll ever turn in one of those reformed anti-smoke nazis, but I always hated those companies. They're about as ethical as the average crack dealer, and the only reason they don't sell their stuff in kindergarten is because it's verboten.

And just keep on asking yourself why you smoke and what is does for you, preferable with every cig you're lighting. I did that for the last couple of years, and with time found it harder and harder to answer the question

I'm foaming at the mouth with enthusiasm about being off it for one week now, however I've quitted before and a lot longer then one week too. I know complacency is Okay when I'm off it for a year or so. There's some differences though. This time it's going really smooth, while the other times it was a nightmare.

Especially the last time things got real bad, the thought of never smoking again even caused feelings of panic. And I'm ashamed to admit it, I even cried. :S Mind you, I'm a properly emotionally repressed man that usually only cries when someone dies or when I'm in excruciating pain. (Or when I'm watching sad movies while I'm drunk :P )

Anyway, that was more then a decade ago, and at the time, after giving in after 3 weeks or so, I promised myself to never ever quit again. But now feelings of liberation are dominant.

Despite that I'm cranky. Not the whole time, but it's rather amazing how seemingly normal conversations with the SO (who quitted also for a week now) can turn into arguments within the blink of an eye. Luckily we usually recognize what's really going on, and it's actually quite funny.:D

Are you gassy? All that gum chewing could produce major bubblage!

Let's say, I yesterday signed a contract for a job as a bio-gas installation :P I can probably provide green energy for 50 households or so.B|

@ oldwoman: :D:D

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, it must be horrible to see someone you love die such a lingering death. While I always pretended to be nonchalant about smoking, I was actually scared of dieing from one of the "slow" diseases associated with smoking. I've lost relatives too to smoking, but all of them died a quick death due to massive infarctions.

:)
What can I say, welcome to the emission free bandwagon. Oh, and feel free to bump this thread yourself if you want or need to in the days/weeks/months to come.

I hope your co-workers don't give you a hard time, but I think it's cool they respond with humour to the fight-picking.

And just keep gnawing at plastic knifes as long as you need to. I've also noticed some interesting behavioural changes in myself the last week. During the writing of this post, I spontaneously started pacing up and down the room for 6 times, to name one peculiar thinghy.

Well, good luck & just hang in there.

Never forget that one little puff will waste all your efforts! Refuse to let that happen!

I'm aware of that, but it can't be said often enough. I think that the fact that's going easy at the moment, is in itself dangerous. Complacency is probably more dangerous then cravings. I already caught myself thinking "I think I could smoke one and quit again without much problems"

Yeah, right, I would love to be that person that can smoke a cig once in a while, but 17 years of smoking is enough proof that I most certainly ain't that person. I had/have about as much control over my addiction as the people that shoot up heroin behind the local train station.

And I'm ashamed to admit it, I even cried. :S Mind you, I'm a properly emotionally repressed man that usually only cries when someone dies or when I'm in excruciating pain. (Or when I'm watching sad movies while I'm drunk :P )

Ok, turn in your man card.:|
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Thanks VB & oldwoman

If you haven't been arrested for beating someone to death by now. You've got it licked. Welcome to a healthier life :)

I didn't even turn into that what I feared most: an anti-smoke nazi. While I banned smoking from most of my house I still allow people to smoke under the "thing-that-sucks-cooking-smells-out-of-the-kitchen-of-which-I-do-not-know-what-it's-called". Most people choose to smoke outside however. :)