Faber

Skype??

No Skype, but Craichead and I just made the switch to Vonage.

$14.99/month, a real telephone, and free north America long distance. It's fantastic.

_Am

Damn you - you could have gotten me a free month >:( :D:D

And for the Skype fans, just wait until you have a Skype ready cell phone
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

wow

good idea bringing this ubject

I am using it for a few months already ;)

I tested it on a lot of connections

dial up works super nice too (that was a big wow when I tested it)
the line was maximum 8 kb/s- it worked without a problem
(as long as u dont do other uplaods or stuff in the same time)

Viva 'ze freedom

Hehehe I don't have the hardware, but next time I track hookitt down we'll get faced and give you a call with no regard for the local time, acheiving maximum annoyance factor!

Hookit never replyed as i got him on/invited him for my list,i never see him online,but could be way fun:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I'm hearing that they DO have the whole E911 thing finally figured out, then other grumblings that they DON'T have the whole E911 thing figured out.

Until that's seriously hammered down and working glitch-free, I'll probably stick with the old reliable.

Besides, the fiance pays the phone bill right now.

:P

Elvisio "speed dialer" Rodriguez

I use two Voip programs: Skype and Ventrilo. I've used Skype Outbound to call real phones of friends in the UK over the last year. I'm slowly trying to get a few others to pick it up so I don't need to refesh my account with them. Free is my favorite price.

I picked up a leased Ventrilo Server some time ago for gaming. Costs me about $8/month for high quality Voip. The program itself is free and only needs a microphone to use it. The benefit to this? I can easily host up to 100 people at a time talking on it, and I can create virtual rooms on it to seperate conversations (even put passwords on them for private chats). This has become perfect since as my group of friends and family get older we are getting more spread out across the world. I haven't done a cost comparison to buying the server software and hosting it myself...hell, I don't even know if the server software costs anything. The best part is that with my new Logitech G15 Keyboard I can see who is talking on my LCD screen. The major differences between this and skype: Multiple rooms and easy access to party-like chats...plus you need to setup a push-to-talk button.

edit: didn't see this was a bumped old post

I'm hearing that they DO have the whole E911 thing finally figured out, then other grumblings that they DON'T have the whole E911 thing figured out.

Until that's seriously hammered down and working glitch-free, I'll probably stick with the old reliable.

Besides, the fiance pays the phone bill right now.

:P

Elvisio "speed dialer" Rodriguez

The biggest issue with E911 is if your power goes out you can't make a call. With POTS (plain old telephone system) it has it's own power over the copper wire and will work if your power goes down. I personally prefer my cell phone for 911 calls.

Wow! I downloaded Skype almost a year ago but finally just tried it out for the first time last week. Of course the group of friends that was overseas that prompted me to get it moved back to the states about a month ago, but it's been checking it out.

I don't think I'll have much reason to use it that often, but it has kept a conversation going twice so far when my cell battery was so dead that even plugged in it couldn't keep up.

If you haven't tried Skype yet, get on it!
Killing threads since 2004.

Use it all the time from China to the States. I use a web cam and talk for hours. Usually very clear. At times can have some connectivity problems- but hey- its China And it's free. A 5 minute call from china can cost $75 at peak time with no "plan"

I tried some web cam chatting too. It was great when one or other had a cam on, but when we both had it on it (or my computer anyway) slowed down pretty dramatically. My computer is getting a bit old though, so I imagine if you are running a fast machine it will work really well.

I downloaded it mainly because I spend a lot of time working out in the mountains in West Texas where they have a satellite internet hook up but no phone access. I put it on my work laptop so I can get a line out if I need to. Haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works alright over the satellite connection out there!

I love Skype. Even made it part of my sig line a few weeks ago. Ha ha. I know, weird thing for a sig line. I was in a mood at the time... I especially like video-skypeing with my best friend and my brother.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I love Skype. Even made it part of my sig line a few weeks ago. Ha ha. I know, weird thing for a sig line. I was in a mood at the time... I especially like video-skypeing with my best friend and my brother.

Seeing your sig line is what made me think about it and bring up this old post!

skype is great!

Yes, indeed it is! B|

As others have said...I'm suprised more people aren't using it :S

kanocek13 is my s/n if anything.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Okay, I know I'm bumping a really old thread, but I just got Skype when I moved to Turkey. I also have Gmail, so I can do video chat with that, but only with people who also have it (at least I did get my mother to understanding IM -- hey, gotta start somewhere!)

Anyway, I didn't want to do Vonage again since it was such a pain in the butt to hook up last time -- and, I got REALLY tired of getting calls at 2 am! :P

I would say that while the price is MUCH better, they do kind of stick you with additional charges. I go the 12-month "premium" package, which is advertised as including unlimited calls to lan and mobile phones in the US and Canada. However, in order to actually MAKE phone calls I had to purchase ANOTHER package. And, if I wanted people to be able to call ME, I had to pay for my own phone number! >:( Oh, and text capability is yet ANOTHER charge/subscription. :S

Also, their customer service sucks. I'm told if I call them (which I need MORE credit for, since they're not in the US or Canada), I can get a resolution -- but they certainly don't reply to an email question.

So, there ya go! Good for some things, but you need to know where all the hidden fees are. Ultimately, I'm still spending less per month than I did for Vonage, and I turn it off when I want. But, if I just want to have a weekend where anyone can call me, I have to stay logged in all the time. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of this much better! Then again, if you all feel like drunk dialing me some Friday night, NO PROBLEM! ;) I won't even be mad. :)

(number given out via PM, per request only)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!