darrenspooner

Sabre 2 openings, again!

I think it's body position or packing (they are encouraging me not to psycho pack anymore)...

Everytime I hear that PD suggests that someone not psycho pack I want to SCREAM! Folks, that packing method does not cause deployment problems. Period. For years I've been hearing "PD says I shouldn't pack like that..." There is NO deployment problem created by psycho packing. I have too much research, experience, and data to the contrary. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, and go fix a damn drink to calm down!

i have got quite a bit experience with psyco pack also. beezy i think it was you who tought it to me years ago when asc first opened.

psycopacking isnt going to cause a dive off heading after a snivel. what IS going to cause it is an elliptical canopy. it is perfectly normal to have off heading openings on performance sport canopies. you want an on heading opening? get a spectre. less performance and nice soft on heading openings. if everyone wants to jump canopies that perform better, your going to have to deal with some issues like this..

now to help you fix this, make it open faster. that will help. pull the slider to the tail. dont roll the nose. if you do roll the nose roll 4 cells on each side inwards toward the center cell and leave the center cell open. this still could cause off heading openings though..

canopies that are new need to be broken in also. lines are much slicker and the slider comes down faster when they are new. im betting you after you put 100 jumps on the canopy, you will be very pleased with how it opens.

sabre 2 opens poorly?! I've jumped a sabre2 and opened great, my brother has about 400 jumps on them and both his sabre2's have always opened great :)
I guess poor body positioning on opening could cause it to have an off heading but that's true for any canopy :P

Just what i've heard and experienced :$

To sum things up:

Spectre -- opens great, flies poorly, good resale value.
Sabre2 -- opens poorly, flies great, good resale value.
Crossfire -- opens great, flies great, poor resale value.

I have had no problems with either of my sabre 2s. I have owned a 190 and currenly own a 170 and mostly jump them with a wingsuit. The only time it opened kinda hard was when I dumped in a very steep track(no wingsuit)....but that is to be expected.

Kris.

I have had 2 extrememly hard openings on it that made me get physical therapy. The first one tore my pectoral muscle, the last one was a couple of weekends ago where I basically got whiplash.

Hmmm...sounds like the original Sabre.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I have had 2 extrememly hard openings on it that made me get physical therapy. The first one tore my pectoral muscle, the last one was a couple of weekends ago where I basically got whiplash.

Hmmm...sounds like the original Sabre.

To answer in Andrea's place and stop the confusion, it was a Sabre 2 in her case.
Remster

To answer in Andrea's place and stop the confusion, it was a Sabre 2 in her case.

Correct. It's also important to know that PD took the canopy back and are rectifiying the issue.

Just another reason I'm such a staunch PD supporter. Even if they get it wrong, they'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Just another reason I'm such a staunch PD supporter. Even if they get it wrong, they'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

Absolutely! The people at PD and the customer service I'm getting continues to overwhelm me. They are in the process of making me a new canopy now. I'm thrilled! B| I also feel a little redeemed that it wasn't my body position or packing after all!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Correct. It's also important to know that PD took the canopy back and are rectifiying the issue.

Blues,
Ian

I had hard openings on my Stiletto for hundreds of jumps (including one that caused a minor chest injury). That prompted me to send it in to PD to be examined. They never admitted it had a problem, but it came back with a bigger slider! It's been fine ever since.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think it's body position or packing (they are encouraging me not to psycho pack anymore)...

Everytime I hear that PD suggests that someone not psycho pack I want to SCREAM! Folks, that packing method does not cause deployment problems. Period. For years I've been hearing "PD says I shouldn't pack like that..." There is NO deployment problem created by psycho packing. I have too much research, experience, and data to the contrary. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, and go fix a damn drink to calm down!

I just my Sabre 170 for the first time on Saturday, did 2 jumps, both of which I psychoed pack. They were the best openings I ever had. I was worried about getting spanked, but they were great.
I guess PD are concerned with psycho packing because they haven't done much (if any) testing with it.

To sum things up:

Spectre -- opens great, flies poorly, good resale value.
Sabre2 -- opens poorly, flies great, good resale value.
Crossfire -- opens great, flies great, poor resale value.

I have had no problems with either of my sabre 2s. I have owned a 190 and currenly own a 170 and mostly jump them with a wingsuit. The only time it opened kinda hard was when I dumped in a very steep track(no wingsuit)....but that is to be expected.

Kris.

rmsmith:

really? My new Sabre2 170 opens like BUTTAH! and not off heading at all..everything about it is awesome..but perhaps I just lucked out with one that was made differently than yours:S..I dunno *shrug* ..however my Sabre2 190 did have slight off heading openings (which I felt was my body position at deployment and a few other factors) and end cell closures..regardless Sabre2 canopys have given me great flight, controllability, and safe landings:)

Interesting that this thread goes on and on.

Couple of people say to loosen the chest strap. I got a lovely new fully articulated odyssey, and an instructor told me to tighten the chest strap and let the stainless steel do its job. But I have also had the slider getting stuck about a 1/3 of the way up.

How should I be wearing my harness?

I know that I would wear my chest strap tight.

I occationally have slider hangups on my sabre2 as well (as well as the occasional off heading opening...) but usually with a tap on the risers my slider works its way down to me (the canopy has just about 100 jumps on it... and I haven't had hang ups for the last 20 or so jumps.)

I account my off heading openings to lack of experience in packing which hopefully will improve as I gain experience and packing knowledge...

Scott
---------------------------------------------------------
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...