Amazon

Cruising is a dangerous activity

just got off 6 day cruise in Eastern Caribbean and I still feel incredibly safe i those ships. with all the technology onboard, I have no idea how they manage to run aground in this day and age.....

It's actually pretty easy. handling a ship is a skill that no technology replaces. Hell, we have that issue with our warships in the Navy.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Gets a lot of coverage here. I feel sorry for the people who drowned. Hope the folks still missing will be rescued.

The captain is also accused for abandoning ship way before the last passenger did. Just watched it on TV. Hope it ain't so - if yes, that would be unbelievable, cowardly and liable to prosecution.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Gets a lot of coverage here. I feel sorry for the people who drowned. Hope the folks still missing will be rescued.

The captain is also accused for abandoning ship way before the last passenger did. Just watched it on TV. Hope it ain't so - if yes, that would be unbelievable, cowardly and liable to prosecution.

I heard he was already arrested and charged with manslaughter.

Thatt does seem to be a repeating pattern in my memory in a few of these cruise ship instances.. the crew abandoning the passengers. I guess that whole honor thing is not so prevelant on these mariners minds.[:/]

When I saw the topic I thought to myself, "What story now about her exploits in the Castro district?"

:D:D Yeah, I thought Amazon was talking about someone taking a walk on the wild side. :P

Nah... I would get banned for sugesting something like that outside of SC

Personally I think a certain mod needs to get more sleep... and less time in SC:D:D

Hi Jeanne,
Yup, what ya' call a "wee little boat??" 'Kinda sorry I sold my 14' Carolina strip boat (2 place) with my 9.9 Merc 4-stroke!! Fun Boat. Alas I still have my 11.5' Frankie Hall pond boat (ya' gotta paddle it or put a small electric motor on it) great for goin' after the lurker bass on the other side of the lake!! So, what ya got in the garage??

BTW"Shellback or pollywog?? Give date, location and ship!! Unless someone can top 27SEP1968 outa Singapore, USS Princeton LPH-5 then "I AM NEPTUNUS REX", next senior is DAVEY JONES and etc. Landlubbers need not reply!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi A-zon,
Yup, what ya' call a "wee little boat??" 'Kinda sorry I sold my 14' Carolina strip boat (2 place) with my 9.9 Merc 4-stroke!! Fun Boat. Alas I still have my 11.5' Frankie Hall pond boat (ya' gotta paddle it or put a small electric motor on it) great for goin' after the lurker bass on the other side of the lake!! So, what ya got in the garage??

Well my 27' Chris Craft Commander wont quite fit in the garage nor will my Columbia Sloop. I like to play in fairly robust waters at the mouth of the Columbia River.;)

More reports on TV and passengers complain about crew. They say crew were much more occupied with rescuing themselves, did not really attend to passengers, did not tell them what to do etc. Might be exaggerated but not all of it.
The captain is indeed accused of manslaughter. It#s also said he send out SOS way too late, and gave order to abandon ship way too late -> ship was already so tilted that some lifeboats couldn't be released into water.
A preliminary report should be available in a few days I suppose and should provide us with more (exact) facts but what's out so far sounds really sad.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks