shah269

Boxter S as a daily driver?

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have an odd question.

I currently drive an 02 VW Jetta 1.8T. I love the car but she has about 105k miles on her and is starting to show her age as well as there are attachments to the X wife (her and I bought the car together and it was her car for a few years) and well it's time for me to look for a new car.

Here are the facts
I work 15 miles from work.
I live in Northern NJ.
I have a garage for the bike and the car.
I ONLY DRIVE stick shifts.
And I'm a single guy.
I can afford $25k-$30k

So I'm looking around. Initially I was going to buy another VW new but then I found the certified BMW program and noticed a number of well appointed 330i 4 doors in the price range I was looking for.
I've driven my brothers 3 series two door and found it to be a very nice drive. Quiet responsive and well appointed and honestly a joy to work on with respect to simple maintenance of oil changes and what not.

I left my name and number with the dealer and what I was looking for and I got a call the other day. They have a 2005 porsche boxster s on the lot. Sick with all the bells and whistles and they are having a hard time selling her off. She only has (I kid you not) 11k miles.
I told them I would take it for a test drive and see what I thought about it.....

Now I've driven Boxsters and 911's in the past. I love the 911 but I don’t' have that kind of cash on me and well I'll be honest I would kill myself in a 911...never take your foot off the gas left foot break and slide around corners like Rickey Racer? HA! I found the Boxter to be a bit more civilized and well prone to killing me.

BUT this car would be my daily driver? Would it work? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And yes there will be various small wang jokes but can we hold those off till later.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

insurance fuel etc...$$$$$$$$
and you keep saying how down on the dollars you are, why not be responsible and get a small car and put the extra money on your millstone mortgage?
Or are you not serious about it???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Beleive it or not the insurance would not be much higher. We are talking about an extra $25 or so per month. I've never had an accident and I live very close to work thus insurance is low for me.

I was short, then I spoke with my accountant, I lost a solid $300 per pay check when I switched from married to single but various adjustements were made and I was able to get most of that money back.

The condo is under well over $60k, at this piont...throwing money into it really doesnt' change things. And I have given up on looking for a new job / career change. In this economy it's best to just sit and enjoy what you can get with what you got.

As for the fuel, believe it or not that little two door gets about 30mph according to a friend! Not bad!

And yeah I'm serious about it. I need to change my life. I can't get out of the condo which is full of memories, the job well 10% unemployment so why not a new car for new memories?

Oh and the cars BB is about $34k and they are willing to give it to me for the price of a well appointed Jetta.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Beleive it or not the insurance would not be much higher. We are talking about an extra $25 or so per month. I've never had an accident and I live very close to work thus insurance is low for me.

I was short, then I spoke with my accountant, I lost a solid $300 per pay check when I switched from married to single but various adjustements were made and I was able to get most of that money back.

The condo is under well over $60k, at this piont...throwing money into it really doesnt' change things. And I have given up on looking for a new job / career change. In this economy it's best to just sit and enjoy what you can get with what you got.

As for the fuel, believe it or not that little two door gets about 30mph according to a friend! Not bad!

And yeah I'm serious about it. I need to change my life. I can't get out of the condo which is full of memories, the job well 10% unemployment so why not a new car for new memories?

Oh and the cars BB is about $34k and they are willing to give it to me for the price of a well appointed Jetta.

well your financial logic is seriously flawed, but by reading your post it would appear you dont actually want reasoned advice, you're most like just bragging. so what ever dude
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Changed the number of dependents. As such reduced the amount I would get back at the end of the year to be distributed to what I get back per paycheck. Thus now I get nothing back at the end of the year, where before I got back money. Or as the business people put it "you were lending money to the government at no interest boy! Not smart."

Funny thing, since the condo came in at being under water, I may be able to reduce my property taxes as well. So there may be more cost savings.

And the interest rate for the car would be around 3%. So it is financially viable. The question is can it be physically viable?

I may have to hold on to my older 4 door car? I'm not sure?
Thus why I asked for the viability of such a car?

Can you carry groceries in it?
Can you rely on it to get you from point A-B
Yes it's a sports car but is it an annoying sports car (loud/rough) when driven over long distances?
How are convertibles in the winter? We don’t get much snow here and the car will be garaged but are there any leaking issues or how cold is it when you are driving on the highway?
So on and so forth?

Oh and maintenance costs? At the moment an oil change for the VW is about $140 and timing belt/major tune up is a solid $1,500 I'm sure they are more for a luxury vehicle but how much? Are we talking $800 oil changes?

Again?
STILL??????
:|

What is your major malfunction?
If you have nothing to say you still feel as if you should say something?
Don't you have anything better to do in life than to be an overall annoyance?

Shah,
I'm a bit taken aback by this. You cite a number of life circumstances that require more cash. Now, you're considering an overpriced German sportscar that was designed to cost you more money. It doesn't make sense.

If I may? You need to think w/your big head, not the little one. If you had a more reliable car than a V-dub? You could drive it another four years before having these thoughts. (VW lovers, spare me your protestations...) We are most likely headed into another recession... The smart thing would be to count your blessings, & be happy w/what you've got. If anything, buying a smaller $15K car NEW would be the far better choice. A new car should last you 160K-200K miles/10yrs, if need be. You even have a garage to do your own maintenance in. A used, exotic sportscar w/supposedly only 11K on the clock??? That's a horrible idea, Shah.

Again?
STILL??????
:|

What is your major malfunction?
If you have nothing to say you still feel as if you should say something?
Don't you have anything better to do in life than to be an overall annoyance?

Saved for amusement.

From ME i know it's odd. But at least I add to the conversation where he.....well I'm not going to go into it.

They really want to get this car off their lot, hell I think all dealers want cars off their lots due to the underperforming economy.
But being a two door convertible stick shift...in NJ...I think this is a non mover. Not many people here know how to pump gas let alone drive stick.

The price quoted was rather nice. As I said at or about a well appointed new Jetta. Yet this car will have no warrantee. However it is very low miles and was per the carfax a single owner car.

Yet is it viable? I've had sports car in the past but all were hatch backs. This on the other hand...being what it is, may be no more useful than a motorcycle? I don't know, one I've never owned a convertible and second I've never owned a luxury car. Thus why I'm asking?

Maybe someone has an older model or knows of someone who has one as a daily driver? Just looking for a bit of feedback.

You REALLY need to get your priorities straight. I mean come on...

And unless you do a lot of your own maintenance on the car, expect to spend a lot even on regular things. Do you have any idea how much an oil change is on a oil cooled engine?
Remster

You REALLY need to get your priorities straight. I mean come on...

And unless you do a lot of your own maintenance on the car, expect to spend a lot even on regular things. Do you have any idea how much an oil change is on a oil cooled engine?

Remster,
They are liquid cooled now.
Though those old oil cooled 911's are gorgeous!
And the sound they make!

It's basically a Subaru engine, non turbo. Flat 6.
It just so happens to be in the middle of the car. Thus the two trunks.

The maintenance on the Boxter is going to be way more than on the VW!

It may be close in price to a brand new well equiped VDub, but I would have to guess that the warranty on the used Boxter doesn't compare.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Porsche Boxster? The perfect choice for the slightly more upmarket hairdresser.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/sony/Zohan/Zohan_4lg.jpg
Kevin McDonough: Where are you from anyway?
Zohan: Haustralia.
Kevin McDonough: Really, because you sound middle eastern.
Zohan: No no no, similar accent. Hangaroo.

:)

Quit being reasonable.....he wants the expensive Volkswagon... it will make the "ego" much much bigger ya know:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

True, when you are right your are right.

Personally I don't think the Boxter S looks all that sporty, or ego boosting. When I see one pull up I expect one of two types of people to get out, either an attractive older business woman, or an over styled middle aged man with a Charlie Sheen button down, an earing, and a huge mid-life crisis. :ph34r:

My choice would be an Audi if we were talking cars under the VW family tree. My A4 goes like hell in the winter!
=P

It may be close in price to a brand new well equiped VDub, but I would have to guess that the warranty on the used Boxter doesn't compare.

That is the catch yes, there is no warranty on the Boxter. I would be buying it from a BMW dealer as well. Thus I will have to by an warranty from another dealer, if it were possible.

Any turbo VW with anything in it new is the mid $20k's

But if i had my choice at the moment I would rather go for a certified pre owend 3 series BMW in stick....but they just don't exist here in NJ!

That is the catch yes, there is no warranty on the Boxter. I would be buying it from a BMW dealer as well. Thus I will have to by an warranty from another dealer, if it were possible.

Any turbo VW with anything in it new is the mid $20k's

That is a huge catch Shah!

You are setting yourself up for the possibility of huge repair bills if something goes wrong.

I am sure you can get an aftermarket warranty, but it will be expensive. Also unlike a factory warranty with a company that is in the business of selling cars first, a extended service contract is in the insurance business. The less service and warranty repairs they pay for, the better they do.

If you want the BMW search around and have it transfered to your local dealer. The shipping will be an extra cost, but it will be worth it to get the car that you want.
=P

Not a good idea.

You've been bashed pretty hard from the financial sensibilities, so I'll bash you from the practicalities (and a bit on the financials).

Reliable? Usually. Room? Not so much. The trunk will hold golf club bags, so groceries will fit, but it's a 2 seater. More than one friend just won't happen.

It's mid-engined, not rear so the handling is more civilized than the 911s, but it can and will bite you in the ass if you let it. And once goes too far, you have become a passenger, not a driver. This is true of any sports car, but mid-engine isn't as forgiving as front engined. Winter is going to be a major issue for you. If it has good tires on it (and most of them do), you will need real snow tires on it. The weight distribution of the mid-engine will make traction in snow a big problem.

Maintainence will be big bucks. The mid engine is hard to get at, some stuff requires a lot of "removal to access" that runs the cost up a good bit (search around a bit and find out the estimated time for a simple spark plug change). Porsche dealers are "premium" maintainence facilities and charge premium prices (BMW is the same FWIW).

If you don't do most of your own wrenching, then the shop costs will kill you. You can do a little better with an independent shop, but a good one (good as in actually know how to work on Porsches) will still command premium prices.

I don't have a Boxter, but I do have a 944 as a summer car. It gets parked in winter. I use it on a daily basis in the summer. I do most of my own work and have a friend who is a mechanic to advise me on most of the rest. It's been in the dealer once. And that was a good chunk of cash. It's pretty reliable (for a 28 year old car) and does get better milage than my Blazer (27 vs 16 overall) but trying to tell myself that it is "more practical" is cheap rationalization. It's a toy. No more, no less.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That's funny right there.

You come on here repeatedly with idiotic and foolish perspectives on life.
Numerous folks here have tried, also repeatedly, to talk sense to you.
You typically do one of two things -
Personal attacks, or ignore what we're saying because you, of course, are the only correct one.
After you were banned from SC for telling me to fuck off, you come here with yet another "poor me, I made yet another foolish financial decision and I'm dying to make another, what do you think?" post..

Grow a fucking pair and man up to your foolish decisions in life.
We're all in that place at one time or another.

wolfriverjoe
Thank you. I appreciate the info.
May be a hell of a nice car for a hell of a nice car but if it's no more or less than another bike than no thank you.
Shame she is rather attractive.