normiss

Concrete cutting?

So we're doing ANOTHER remodel. (Yes, She can be high maintenance - but worth every bit of it!).

I used a 3 1/2 circular concrete cut-off saw to cut into the concrete slab to get into the plumbing. Need to go deeper - for the first time in my life. :)

I'm cutting a slab I expect to be around 6" thick.
Also cutting off a couple of concrete block walls.....

If anyone has any experience....chainsaw or circular saw?
I can rent either, just curious which one works best....and hopefully less mess as well.

I have always preferred the circular saw on masonry work. It seems to cut straighter lines and replacing the blade if needed is a lot easier. I used to put in paver patios and spent most a summer operating a gas powered saw every day or two cutting bricks after they were installed and the only thing I hated about the circular saw was the balance on them really sucks and if you have to operate it while unbalanced or at the extremes of a one arm reach it can easily trip you up when it starts or stops.

Oh yeah.. just remember to keep things wet ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Circular saw is the way to go get one [url "http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1C1_____enUS465US465&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=939&q=1450+E.+Highway+436+Altamonte+Springs,+FL+32701&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e771e30f7f585d:0x16427587fe68b02e,1450+Florida+436,+Casselberry,+FL+32730&gl=us&ei=cCRWT-fALce2tweQ7diRCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA"] BEST RENTAL[url]
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I saw the subject line in the Forum list and thought, "that has got to be a thread started by Mark!" :ph34r:

Oh, and I am NOT high maintenance! :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Det-cord

Fact. Flex Linear Shaped Charges (FLSC) works wonders on steel and can be handy with concrete as well.B|

At least so I've heard.:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I saw the subject line in the Forum list and thought, "that has got to be a thread started by Mark!" :ph34r:

Oh, and I am NOT high maintenance! :P

Me too :)

Definately high maintenance. Can I be on the list now? Wait... what list?
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Det-cord

Fact. Flex Linear Shaped Charges (FLSC) works wonders on steel and can be handy with concrete as well.B|

I know for a fact it takes a lotta the fight outta re-bar reinforced concrete load bearing pillars...prolly a bit messy on slab work, as opposed to a wet-saw though.:);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

http://www.mytoolstore.com/partner/k40.html#cart

hopefully there's not gonna be any rebar in the floor......but watch for Sparks!!!! to tell you there IS...

keep a bottle of water handy for the saw....:)
keep a bottle of BEER handy for the operator;)

edited to add.....
Beer !! for ME.... since this is the first Link i've successfully added to a post !!!!!!!:oB|:Phahaha

Det-cord

Not if the concrete is on backing of crushed stone (like a slab would be).
Remster

Det-cord

Not if the concrete is on backing of crushed stone (like a slab would be).

Fuck it then. Get me some c-4...

A lot of slabs in the U.S. are poured on a bed of Masonry Sand. Just saying.;)

You could always go with a 40 lb. cratering charge...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFpNSi-Uun4&feature=related

gas powered rescue saw, that's what we called it, it's just a big circular saw with a blade on the front and a motor on the back. has about a 6-8" cutting depth, but the blades are expensive. they can cut through anything. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rescue+saw&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16390168804287429261&sa=X&ei=HF1XT8T7MOXe0gG58si6Dw&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAA
http://kitswv.com

Pic 1 - before.
Pic 2 - starting the cut to get to the sewer line
Pic 3 - slab cut for sewer access
Pic 4 - after.
I rented a 14" Concrete chop saw.
The half walls are gone, a little grinding left to do. Overall, a damn good clean job if I may.
We're ready for the permit!
B|

Hi Normiss,

We're ready for the permit!

Around here they like us to get the permit first.

:)

Looks good so far; are you going to put in a hot tub?

JerryBaumchen

PS) I know it's a regional thing but you would have a lot of trouble selling a house in this area if it were built on a slap. The land of post & beam construction.