loch1957

Tandem mill?

Saw a sign today in my home town. I thought to myself once I've got my A if I cant get to Vivian I could swing by on my Mondays off for a jump. I guess this is whats referred to as a tandem mill.

http://www.skydivelodge.com/index.html
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Looks like it. Hmmm, biggest DZ East of Dallas. Totally discounting the closer turbine DZ NORTH of Dallas. Smoooooth. B|:D

Is that legit? it says there e-mail is "AOL", people still use "AOL"?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Looks like it. Hmmm, biggest DZ East of Dallas. Totally discounting the closer turbine DZ NORTH of Dallas. Smoooooth. B|:D

Is that legit? it says there e-mail is "AOL", people still use "AOL"?

Matt

Apparently people still use Cessnas, too.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

2 miles is only 10560 ft. That is Cessna altitude

exactly my point...

I sooo prefer to see ANyone who is gonna spend what it costs to buy a tandem, get to enjoy a spacious comfortable ride, in a Bigger plane, with lots more elbow room, ANd with the chance to share the trip to altitude with any others from their Own group...

i KNOW that lots of places ONLy have a cessna, and that's how it goes.... But whuffos have NO idea of the real difference between a big plane and a not so big plane... between sitting on a bench or straddle seat, and sitting on the floor, between ten five and 13 Five...:|between 30 seconds in freefall and 50 seconds..

of course there is Nothing wrong with a tandem dz that only flies a 182... Lord knows, operating such a business take a HUGE effort... and good luck to ANyone who wants to open a dz....But sometimes such places simply don't compare to other long established DZs which offer ALL the disciplines of the sport, especially follow up training, and THEN other experienced folks, with whom to jump...
just sayin'.

jt

SkydiveLodge.com completely stole the wording from the Skydive Chicago site (I know it's not the other way around because I wrote those words personally)

SkydiveLodge.com's version:

www.SkydiveTandemGreenville.com
Welcome to Skydive Tandem Greenville's official website! We are the premier drop zone east of the Dallas / Fort Worth area and have the only Skydive Lodge in the business. Built from the ground up to provide first time skydivers the ultimate in tandem skydiving training, atmosphere, and adrenaline pumping freefall exhilaration. Come for a skydive then relax at the Lodge with new friends while you watch a video of your experience.

SkydiveChicago.com's version:

Welcome to www.SkydiveChicago.com, the official website of Skydive Chicago™! Take a look around! We are not only the premier Dropzone in the Chicagoland area, but the best. Built from the ground up to handle a skydivers every need. Come for a skydive then relax on our 220 acre mega resort! See why more people choose Skydive Chicago than any other dropzone.

At the time of writing this it is no longer on Skydive Chicago's site, however you can see how it looked earlier this year at www.archive.org

Come on guys, really?
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

i KNOW that lots of places ONLy have a cessna, and that's how it goes.... But whuffos have NO idea of the real difference between a big plane and a not so big plane... between sitting on a bench or straddle seat, and sitting on the floor, between ten five and 13 Five...:|between 30 seconds in freefall and 50 seconds..

jt

In my opinion the customer service and experience for tandems at a 182 drop zone can often exceed what you get in at a large turbine drop zone.

Whuffo's don't know the difference because an Otter isn't needed to have an awesome skydiving experince.

Plane ride:
Sure you sit on the floor in a 182 but you get big windows and a nice tour of the area. At my DZ we have nice views of Narraganset Bay and LI sound. With a nice padded floor sitting in a 182 is pretty comfortable.

The ride in an Otter is equally tight. They just stuff more skydivers in there. As a tandem student you are either on a straddle bench or a side bench. You get a small window, maybe, and a quick ride.

Instruction:
Many big DZ's pair students up with their instructors for hands on training, many do not and hand the student off for a brief introduction before boarding the plane.

182 DZ's offer the students more hands on training (most of the time). The volume is less, there is more contact with the instructors, more time to hear about the sport.

If altitude and free-fall time is all a tandem is about why are the turbine DZ's only going to 13k? Why not 15K?

The tandem is so much more than giving first time jumpers wads of free-fall. 20 seconds of free-fall can easily be substituted for other great experiences.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Apparently people still use Cessnas, too.

Is that bad?

Is a dropzone that is primarily (or all) tandem automatically bad?

[:/]

No it isn't.

If it is local it can be a great thing. Don't be a dick and I doubt they will tell you to hit to road.

When they are busy they need to jump tandems, that is how the DZO and the tandem masters butter their bread. But normally when there is a single tandem going up, or a break in between loads you can get jumps in.

It is nice to have a place just down the road to get a jump in on short notice, if the nearest turbine DZ is a far drive down the road.
=P

SkydiveLodge.com completely stole the wording from the Skydive Chicago site (I know it's not the other way around because I wrote those words personally)

SkydiveLodge.com's version:

www.SkydiveTandemGreenville.com
Welcome to Skydive Tandem Greenville's official website! We are the premier drop zone east of the Dallas / Fort Worth area and have the only Skydive Lodge in the business. Built from the ground up to provide first time skydivers the ultimate in tandem skydiving training, atmosphere, and adrenaline pumping freefall exhilaration. Come for a skydive then relax at the Lodge with new friends while you watch a video of your experience.

SkydiveChicago.com's version:

Welcome to www.SkydiveChicago.com, the official website of Skydive Chicago™! Take a look around! We are not only the premier Dropzone in the Chicagoland area, but the best. Built from the ground up to handle a skydivers every need. Come for a skydive then relax on our 220 acre mega resort! See why more people choose Skydive Chicago than any other dropzone.

At the time of writing this it is no longer on Skydive Chicago's site, however you can see how it looked earlier this year at www.archive.org

Come on guys, really?

I think you are seeing monsters in the shadows. Both of those wordings in there various guises are on hundreds of skydiving websites.

Skydiving has changed SO much in the past 20 years. I wonder many Cessna haters have actually jumped a 182? Guys need to lighten up and wish the guys well.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Are the spelling mistakes on both websites too? :S

Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong with small cessna dzs. Like mentioned before, you spend a longer time in the plane with big windows to boot so for the passenger it's way cooler to sit and enjoy the view for a while, instead of supervanning it to altitude. For the instructors, yes a bigger and faster airplane is nice. For regular funjumping, I prefer the fast planes too. For a tandempassenger, I think a C182 might actually be the better deal...

Bring a steak and enjoy a sunset cookout on the grill with others that are basking in the exhilaration of their first freefall experience.

That I find funny, would any tandempassenger actually do such a thing?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We have people cook out all the time. Normally there a few people in each large group that don't jump, so they grill burgers and dogs etc.

Great for the instructors! The students, or at least their cheerleaders, feed us lunch when they are cooking out. :D

=P

We have people cook out all the time. Normally there a few people in each large group that don't jump, so they grill burgers and dogs etc.

Great for the instructors! The students, or at least their cheerleaders, feed us lunch when they are cooking out. :D

For real? Sounds awesome B|
Wouldn't work over here though, here tandems+cheerleaders bring coolers with sandwiches and drinks. Very seldom we get offered something, but usually not.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

that's because the dutch are cheap skates! :P

"There are only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch."
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Tandem mill?
Well you say that like it's a bad thing!
That's a great place to hang out rocking your old gear and alti looking up at the sky and looking all "radical" and hitting on all the cute girls with big words!

DON"T YOU LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT!

Like none of you pig dogs have never hit on a tandem student!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Shah, a little hint, tandem students are too busy being zonked out of their gourd.

They may be temporarily enamored with their instructor, but they usually couldn't give two shits about the other fun jumpers on the plane who are making lame comments and acting like hot shit.
=P

If they don't do business with Skyride and run their business ethically I say more power to them.

Yes! The business has a right to make money as they see fit. If they don't allow fun jumpers and are up front about it fine. Have problem with the ones that string students along letting them think they will progress to AFF when they have no intention of doing so. So they get as many tandems as possible out of them when they were ready for AFF 4 jumps ago. Seen it happen in big touristy area. The student doesn't really know any better until they visit an all inclusive dropzone.

Shah, a little hint, tandem students are too busy being zonked out of their gourd.

They may be temporarily enamored with their instructor, but they usually couldn't give two shits about the other fun jumpers on the plane who are making lame comments and acting like hot shit.

Ah on the ground before they go up chat them up and look and sound all bad ass and stuff!
Use big words and point at things and high five people!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If they don't do business with Skyride and run their business ethically I say more power to them.

Yes! The business has a right to make money as they see fit. If they don't allow fun jumpers and are up front about it fine. Have problem with the ones that string students along letting them think they will progress to AFF when they have no intention of doing so. So they get as many tandems as possible out of them when they were ready for AFF 4 jumps ago. Seen it happen in big touristy area. The student doesn't really know any better until they visit an all inclusive dropzone.

I see your thinly veiled mention of perhaps maybe a certain place. Whats worse is when you are going on vacation or business somewhere and you look at the site and even call the place up and they say sure come on out and you sit around all day and not get to jump because tandems are going up all day.
You noticed early on that there are only one or two fun jumpers around but you think, "Ive come all this way, Im getting one in". And sure enough you dont.
I have no problem with tandem mills as long as they admit to it. UK drop zones are bad about this.