Namowal

Staying cool on hot days at the DZ

I think you're on to something about being young. When I was in my twenties I could hike all over the place in hot, hot weather. I got sweaty, but it didn't wear me out. Fast forward a few decades and I'm melting like the wicked witch of the west.

Umm i have met you you are NOT in your 50s:P

Not yet, but I'll be there in five years. I can already see those pesky kids circling my lawn like vultures....:P

and I am way older than you.
The way I deal is lots of liquid (non booze), I make a 2 litre bottle of Gatorade (my dilution) and I eat throughout the day. I also stay out of the direct sun as much a possible.

Watered-down gatorade seems to be a popular (daytime) drink at the dz. I'll have to try it.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Take off your t-shirt, soak it in cool water in the sink and then put it back on. (I was packing for me and Vskydiver in Thailand. That's how I survived.)

Of course wear light shorts, seek shade and drink lots of water. :)

It also helps to get your hair wet occasionally. Longer hair traps heat in more than shorter hair, and the cool, wet hair will allow for faster dissipation of body heat.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Take off your t-shirt, soak it in cool water in the sink and then put it back on.

I'm surprised you, or someone else, didn't add, "and leave your bra off while you're at it". You guys are slacking!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

DO NOT GO IN THE SWOOP POND! Fish and skydivers alike do the nasty in there! :D

Fish & skydivers???:o
Now that is *really* kinky!:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Some good ideas here. Namowal, I know you said a cold wrap didn't help but I take a bandana and put some ice cubes in it then wrap and put around the back of my neck. It really helps keep my core temp a bit better under control. Just a bit... I've also realized I have to stop giving a crap about how I look at the DZ. It's totally out of my control :)

Some good ideas here. Namowal, I know you said a cold wrap didn't help but I take a bandana and put some ice cubes in it then wrap and put around the back of my neck. It really helps keep my core temp a bit better under control. Just a bit...

That's a good idea.

I've also realized I have to stop giving a crap about how I look at the DZ. It's totally out of my control :)

That's true.

for some reason i thought you were like 19. must be the duck cartoons.

Well, I bet most people who start out are closer to that age than to mine. In some ways it feels like I'm a 19 year old- learning to navigate in the new world of adulthood skydiving.

It also helps to get your hair wet occasionally. Longer hair traps heat in more than shorter hair, and the cool, wet hair will allow for faster dissipation of body heat.

That's a good idea too. If my hair's damp, will it cause my googles to fog or damage my helmet once I'm on the plane? (Then again, the hot prop wind as I'm boarding would probably work as a giant hairdryer...)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Some good ideas here. Namowal, I know you said a cold wrap didn't help but I take a bandana and put some ice cubes in it then wrap and put around the back of my neck. It really helps keep my core temp a bit better under control. Just a bit... I've also realized I have to stop giving a crap about how I look at the DZ. It's totally out of my control :)

Puhhhhhlease! Like the savages care.

You may not be looking for a love interest at the DZ, but at most all you need is a pulse. :D:ph34r::P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Seldom a problem we have in the UK, but on those rare hot days the worst thing is definitely the packing. Not only is it more tiring, but the sweat makes the fabric stick to you and... just yuck all around.

The hottest I've ever been was jumping in UAE. This was back in 2000, long before Skydive Dubai was operating, so we were at the Umm-al Qwain aeroclub. We had an air-conditioned packing area, but by the time you'd stepped outside and walked to the aircraft you were already melting. The worst thing was that because the runway was just compacted sand we had to have the door shut for takeoff - I came to dread the closing of that door, and to long for the moment when it would be opened again. :)
It was wonderfully cool on exit, but during the second half of the skydive you could gradually feel the air getting warm. Never really experienced that anywhere else.