jimmytavino

RunAway SUV

so i have now seen this video a few times on the national news.....:|

the lady is screaming at the 911 operator who is telling her...
"stay calm" "we're getting some help, to you".... and then mile after mile of 100+MPH , hairy scarey driving....

Any reason she didn't simply shut OFF the ignition???????:o:S:P

am i missing something here???[:/]

trouble AND panic..... what a lousy combination......

the news this morning said it was a Kia Brand SUV.....

jimmy

I was told the 911 operator told her to put it in neutral and the driver replied that it was stuck. Not sure what the issue might have been with the ignition. I saw part of the video where the 911 operator asked her if the brakes worked ok. Brakes are useless against a runaway engine that already has momentum. Might could brake long enough to shift to netural or at least downshift to limit speed.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Ignition and steering lock only if it's in park - you can't get a key to lock otherwise. If the genius couldn't get it into neutral, she sure as hell won't get it past reverse to park!

Ignition off, standing on brakes, neutral, move floor mats...anything except panic.
Sweet jebus she had the time and awareness to call 911!
:S:S:S

Well, in her defense, I also didn't know that you can turn off the ignition while the car is going 100 mph.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Actually simply shutting off the ignition at 100 mph may not be the best approach. She would lose brakes and the steering wheel would lock.

I'd shift to neutral and stop before shutting it off.

Steering won't lock while the car is moving and the key is inserted in my vehicles. Also cars have a vacuum reservoir to power the brakes for 3-4 applications after the engine shuts off. My cars are like my parachutes. I like to explore how they function before I really need it. ;)

Surprised I haven't reached over and done that to you yet....

You want to turn my motor off? Usually, you want to turn it on! ;)
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, in her defense, I also didn't know that you can turn off the ignition while the car is going 100 mph.

Please give a reason why you thought it couldn't be done.

This lack of knowledge or common sense is not good.

So you would have called 911 as well?B|[:/]

Sounds like a similar case in France some time ago
with a Renault. The driver called the police when
his car kept accelerating, he couldn't turn the ignition off
and the gearbox was locked in drive.
The police cleared the highway ahead of him and he just kept going till
the car ran out of gas.
When the car was inspected by Renault it drove normally
and they could find no faults.

Shit happens.

Gone fishing

Well, put it this way; I haven't sat around thinking about what I would do if I was in a runaway car. I don't have enough idle time in my life to think of every scenario that could happen in every aspect of my life. But, now that I know I can turn off the ignition, I'll just turn off the ignition. No need to worry about my supposed lack of common sense.

>Brakes are useless against a runaway engine that already has momentum.

I think pretty much every car out there will let you do one hard stop against a running engine. You'll smoke the brakes but it will come to a stop. I recall some testing a while back due to claims of someone who tried and claimed that the brakes wouldn't stop him. Turns out they don't if you just keep stomping on them then letting off, which is what he did - but they will stop you if you just keep your foot on them.

I would like to think that any skydiver could safely stop a 100mph vehicle....

Interesting. Man, whoever taught me AFF sure left out a few things about stopping SUVs. Fucker. I want my money back.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Please give a reason why you thought it couldn't be done.

Loss of power steering could lead to inability to steer larger vehicles.

The force required to steer is less at highway speeds than low speeds.

While some one may be unable to park a passenger car/truck/SUV without power steering (I'm not going to speculate about an 80,000 pound loaded big rig) it'll work fine on the road.

>The force required to steer is less at highway speeds than low speeds.

Agreed. Whether it's still a problem depends on the vehicle. One of the cars I used to drive as a teenager was a very large Chevy station wagon. When you turned off the ignition the slop in the steering became a good 90 degrees - you could turn the wheel 1/4 turn in both directions with no response from the front wheels. And the effort required to turn it past that was pretty significant. I could do it but I would have concerns about my sisters (who actually were next in line for that car) being able to do it. This was at about 40mph, not at parking lot speeds.

In any car I've owned in the past 10 years? No problem.