DON321

Bill Dause Recieves "Chesley H. Judy Safety award!!!"

Not to rain on the parade, but there are dozens of these each year.

A “Judy” refers to the new USPA Chesley H. Judy Safety Award. USPA’s latest recognition for service to the skydiving community came together as the result of an important act of generosity, along with imagination at the right time.

A “Judy” will be voted on with ballots during Safety Day activities to one jumper from each drop zone who in the past year, through example, deed, training or innovation, has promoted safety in the sport. Awardees may include anyone on the drop zone who has made a noteworthy difference to the safety of local jumpers.

Where did you get those statements from?
They are not what the USPA doctrine says.

Here, maybe?
http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Other_SDChesJudy.pdf
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A “Judy” refers to the new USPA Chesley H. Judy Safety Award. USPA’s latest recognition for service to the skydiving community came together as the result of an important act of generosity, along with imagination at the right time.

A “Judy” will be voted on with ballots during Safety Day activities to one jumper from each drop zone who in the past year, through example, deed, training or innovation, has promoted safety in the sport. Awardees may include anyone on the drop zone who has made a noteworthy difference to the safety of local jumpers.

Where did you get those statements from?
They are not what the USPA doctrine says.

OK, after doing a bit more research, it appears that the USPA guidelines say that each DZ's Judy Award recipient should be chosen by the DZ's DZO or the S&TA. Other documents (ETA: thanks, Krisanne) say, a bit ambiguously, that the award should be "coordinated through the USPA Safety & Training Advisor organizing Safety Day and the drop zone owner". Very interesting. Nonetheless, a number of DZs do choose the award recipient by ballot of DZ jumpers. Anyone know what method Lodi uses to choose the recipient?

Bill Dause, DZO of the Parachute Center, Lodi, Ca. Recieved the Chesley H. Judy USPA safety award 2 weeks ago at our Parachute Center Awards ceramony:

This award is given to the skydiver who, through example, deed, training, or innovation, had promoted safe skydiving in a substantive way.

Congrats Bill on keeping the sport safe and fun for all of us.....

You forgot to highlight this part.

Awardees may include anyone on the drop zone who has made a noteworthy difference to the safety of local jumpers.

if the OP had not written

***Bill Dause, DZO of the Parachute Center, Lodi, Ca. Recieved the Chesley H. Judy USPA safety award 2 weeks ago at our Parachute Center Awards ceramony:

and had instead written

"Bill Dause, DZO of the Parachute Center, Lodi, Ca. Recieved the a Chesley H. Judy USPA safety award 2 weeks ago at our Parachute Center Awards ceramony:"

it would have been less misleading.

It appears to only be misleading to certain people. :S I didn't see a similar argument when it was announced that President Obama won the Nobel prize, not A nobel prize

How much does it cost to be a memeber as a Drop Zone ?

Everyone always quotes how much it costs the DZO. Less than a thousand bucks. Pocket change to a DZ...

But the real cost... The fees that the USPA charges it's members, and since membership is required by all jumpers as a GM... It can be tens of thousands. The Group Membership program is a way to get guaranteed customers. GM DZs check your USPA card often before your rig or log book when you show up. It is the "jumping tax" group members collect.

I see it every weekend... "Great, you passed Level 1 AFF. You want to do your second jump today? Wow, that is great. Before you jump, I need you to fill out this USPA application and send in $65 bucks.... Ya I know this will be your most expensive year in skydiving with new gear, $2000 for aff, etc... I know it is silly that a new skydiver has to pay more than a renewing skydiver just when they are spending $2000 in a month on instruction... But the USPA does good things for us... Pay the tax first, then you will see."

Ok, this was overly dramatic to make a point.:P

It appears to only be misleading to certain people. :S I didn't see a similar argument when it was announced that President Obama won the Nobel prize, not A nobel prize

I think you forgot an important word. There is only one Nobel Peace Prize awarded each year. Then there's one in Physics, one in Chemistry...

A Nobel may be shared, but there's only one of each.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I didn't see a similar argument when it was announced that President Obama won the Nobel prize, not A nobel prize

Not to be an enabler for your silly diversion, but there's only one Nobel Peace Prize. Occasionally it's shared among 2 or 3 recipients, but it sure as hell isn't 1 for each drop zone.

if the OP had not written

Bill Dause, DZO of the Parachute Center, Lodi, Ca. Recieved the Chesley H. Judy USPA safety award 2 weeks ago at our Parachute Center Awards ceramony:

and had instead written

"Bill Dause, DZO of the Parachute Center, Lodi, Ca. Recieved the a Chesley H. Judy USPA safety award 2 weeks ago at our Parachute Center Awards ceramony:"

it would have been less misleading.

Misleading my Ass...... "A" or "The" in that sentence makes little diference in how people take the information.....

The sad thing is everyone is always so ready to bash lodi, because we do shit our own way..... its funny how more than 3/4 of lodi jumpers are uspa members, and 1/2 of them are world championship skydivers...... even Bill is a uspa member he just isnt a dzo uspa member wich keeps our jump tickets low.... someone do the math and tell me its all about money at lodi?

Even dumber is that all these USPA folks should know that there is a Judy handed out at each DZ on safety day. It's very rewarding to receive, but hardly a singular honor.

I've never jumped at Lodi, but if Bill is keeping his fleet of planes safe and good pilots at the helm, and his tandem and student gear is well maintained, I'd give him a Judy. Our DZO does just that, I think one is deserved by them too. ;)

and 1/2 of them are world championship skydivers

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Exaggeration, slightly but not by much.
I believe he is referring all the regulars or employed skydivers who hold a world record & or national record in Lodi. Which on some days can be half the jumpers there. There is A LOT of talent at Lodi, no joke!! Wingsuiters , FF'ers, CRW and style, accuracy

Hyperbole, perhaps?

I believe he is referring all the regulars or employed skydivers who hold a world record & or national record in Lodi. Which on some days can be half the jumpers there. There is A LOT of talent at Lodi, no joke!! Wingsuiters , FF'ers, CRW and style, accuracy

National records have suddenly become World Championships?

Honest...you don't wanna go there (down the records vs championships road).
Regardless of what folks think, Bill's been around for a long, long time. He's either the #1 or #2 guy in the world for most jumps, he runs a very successful dropzone (regardless of any opinions about it) and he's done a lot for the sport. And it's done a lot for him. If the jumpers at his DZ wish to award him the Judy, more power to em'.

For the amount of jumps done there, Id dare say that Lodi has the best safety record in the country in tandems, and perhaps fun jumps, though a horrible tragedy last year boosted that a little. The lodi sequentials are some of the best freeflying ive ever seen, you have one of the best crew teams in the world training there, some of the best wingsuit regulars in the country, and countless foreign national teams, and even a recent group of airforce cadets that all jump there. You make any mistakes in safety, bill will throw you off but quick. Say what you want, but Lodi is a pretty special place.

Hyperbole, perhaps?

No Im not sure if you can read all that well, but I differentiate between WORLD RECORD holders AND NATIONAL RECORD holders!!! And a combination of the two can equal about 1/2 the jumpers at a given time in the hangar at lodi.
Perhaps if you need a better explanation of what I wrote you would need to attend the 5th grade so you can learn how to read basic ENGLISH!!

Hyperbole, perhaps?

No Im not sure if you can read all that well, but I differentiate between WORLD RECORD holders AND NATIONAL RECORD holders!!! And a combination of the two can equal about 1/2 the jumpers at a given time in the hangar at lodi.
Perhaps if you need a better explanation of what I wrote you would need to attend the 5th grade so you can learn how to read basic ENGLISH!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I see you have met Kallend:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Oooh - touchy aren't you?

What part of "Exaggeration, slightly but not by much" do you not understand?

The original claim was 1/2 the jumpers are world championship skydivers, but now you've been challenged you keep downgrading. Seems to me that claiming a national record holder is a "world championship" skydiver is one hell of an exaggeration, not a slight one.

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Nitpicking comes to mind.

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Nitpicking comes to mind.

Yeah, well, I'm a national record holder, but I've never claimed a world championship on account of that. Seems to me that the difference is a pretty big NIT.

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Yeah, well, I'm a national record holder, but I've never claimed a world championship on account of that. Seems to me that the difference is a pretty big NIT.

You win.

Hyperbole, perhaps?

Dont forget to tell everybody you are a real teacher! Not one of the damn impostor AFFI's/Coaches. You know how to really teach!:S:ph34r::ph34r:
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!