flyboy6554

Smart reserve

I am considering the purchase of a Smart reserve to replace the old Rascal 202 I've been carrying around for the past 15 years. They seem to be heavily "marketed" but I was wondering if they are high quality reserves...any comments from riggers or current users.
Thanks in advance!

Here is my worthless post...:P
I have one as reserve but never had to use it!
My rigger (master rigger in california) told me that they were well put together and nicely reinforced!
Much more than that I don't know!
Would also love to hear from people who got a ride
on one...

"We see the world just the way we are...

I have packed a few Smart reserves, but not seen any of them used during an emergency.
Quality of materials and workmanship is up to PISA's (now Aerodyne Africa) usual high standards.
Smarts have even more reinforcing tapes (i.e. diagonal tapes to steering lines) than their competitors.
Airfoil section is slightly shallower.
Pack volume is slightly bulkier than Tempo, but when my boss tried to describe Aerodyne's measuring method, my eyes rolled back in my head!
Hah!
Hah!

For what it's worth...

I had a customer's 1989 Laser (same company as Rascal) fail tensile strength testing this year. Tail felt different near label, probably from coating transfer from bag. This isn't unusual but I always pull test them. This one failed at 3 or 4 pounds in a couple of places.:o

But, buy the new and give the old one to the kids to play with.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

the smart bares no resemblance in design to the tempo and is a more modern up to date seven cell design with higher standards of reinforcement coupled with good opening and flying characteristics. i would suggest phoning up aerodyne and getting a demo smart to jump as a main. they fly very much like a triathlon i have five jumps on a 110 loaded at 1.8 for shits and giggles. it has a huge amount of lift compared to a tempo and picked me up more than the pd 113. i have no emergency rides on one but i have seen two. one subterminal and one terminal. both opened really quickly and both pilots where happy to say the least.

my two cents

We have quite a few on our DZ. Only a couple of rides to speak of so far.

However, I did have the opportunity to demo one. It has a good strong flare that will not disappoint. The construction is very good.

I own a gear store on a smallish drop zone where I consider every customer part of my extended family. I wouldn't sell 'em if I wouldn't jump 'em. I have Smart reserves in half of my demo rigs.

You should feel oh so much more confident with the Smart over the Rascal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

What ever you decide to buy keep in mind that loading your reserve to 1.8 probably is not the smartest thing to do. Trying to play "swooper, look at me I am cool" with your last chance can get you hurt or killed. That is if you don't blow it up on deployment.[:/] jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just my opinion too, you may not be under your reserve in the best condition. Let's say you're unconscious or otherwise immobile and your AAD fires and you just float in on brakes, what canopy would you like above you? This has happened to several jumpers.

Just my opinion too, you may not be under your reserve in the best condition. Let's say you're unconscious or otherwise immobile and your AAD fires and you just float in on brakes, what canopy would you like above you? This has happened to several jumpers.

It happened to a friend of mine just a couple of months ago. It was reported on DZ.com. Had he been under a reserve loaded to 1.8 he may not have survived.

Oh yeah dude, I totally agree with you & personally jump reserves (I have several rigs) bigger than my mains....
Even if you eliminate all the safety issues...fact is I want lots of "hang-time" to see where the heck that $1500 plus main and $200 plus freebag & pilot chute are getting off to.

Jumping a reserve bigger than your main was not the point I was making. What I was getting at is a reserve loaded at 1.8+ can come back and bit you in the butt. In your case, you are about 60 pounds over what the manufacture recommends for an expert canopy pilot on your reserve and 25 pounds on your main. With you experience, that is probably not a bad thing on the main, but I think 1.84 is a little high for a 7 cell reserve. Thats just my opinion and as I said, with your experience it shouldn't be a problem.

Sparky

I put a few jumps on a Smart 135 in Rantoul. It landed well, sort of like a Triathalon. No problems at a 1.5 to 1 loading.

(Warning for AggieDave - I have been sponsored in one way or another by Flitesuit, Tony Suit, Hiper, Aerodyne, Fliteline, Airtec, Gravity Gear, Bodysport, Sky Systems and Precision.)

I've made some demo jumps on a Smart 150, it flies like a 7 cell is supposed to fly is easy to land.
If your you want to make sure contact Aerodyne and let them hook you up with a Smart demo in the size you want, and find out for your self.

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

I'm 240 out the door! the biggest reserve I can fit is a Tempo 170. Which is what I am jumping. 1.41/1 wing loading. I would like a fresh reserve. The biggest I can fit is a PDR 160 or a Smart 160. both will put me at a 1.5/1 wing load. Is this something that is a " big deal" to step up a . in wingloading?
I mean, I already at 1.41/1 is 1.5/1 that much of am increase when considering a beter performing reserve?

Good luck... I jumped a tempo 175 clone once, at less then 1:0.9 and with 550 jumps of which 5 were reserve rides under my belt. Ate dust bigtime... Flare was non-existent...
My advice (but who am I) is getting either a smart, pd or techno, and getting a BIG one.
I load my transfair (old techno 128) at 1.25 and it has mostly put me down nicely so far. 1.4/1.5 is imho way too high a WL for a reserve, esp with lower jumpnumbers and if you've never been under your reserve yet, but I'd personally ditch the tempo real quick (I heard they are more popular in the states, over here there're not), and maybe look for another rig that can hold a more reasonably sized reserve too! :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Tempo is measured different then other canopies for instance the PD. If you measure a PD 160 the way the Tempo was measured then its like ~173, but if you measure the Tempo the way the PD is measured then the Tempo 170 would be about a PD 160. You are already at the same loading but just think you are not due to some marketing speak.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks freezone, a 160 it is, ( same as a 170 tempo) the rest of you thanks for your input, I totaly appricate your care for myself being, and so on....... but I believe that all reserves should be ZP I mean that is what we fly now, why go back to student gear?
My rig is small, super cool looking, and if I die my whoofo' fly. won't understand any how!
The worst caes scenerio, AAD fire low and your over a neighberhood. well your probably already dead if your unconsios anyway, and 1.5/1 on am F111 with breaks set dosen't scare me, now that I have though about it:)]

cheers
J

I'm 240 out the door! the biggest reserve I can fit is a Tempo 170. Which is what I am jumping. 1.41/1 wing loading. I would like a fresh reserve. The biggest I can fit is a PDR 160 or a Smart 160. both will put me at a 1.5/1 wing load. Is this something that is a " big deal" to step up a . in wingloading?
I mean, I already at 1.41/1 is 1.5/1 that much of am increase when considering a beter performing reserve?

You are 40 pounds over the Max. weight for a Tempo 170. With a W/L of 1.40+, I sure hope you don't have to use it.

A step up from 1.4 to 1.5 is a huge step on an over-loaded 7 cell reserve. For your experience level, according to Brian Germain's chart, your main should be no more than 1.2.

It would be smart to get into bigger gear quick.

Sparky

A step up from 1.4 to 1.5 is a huge step on an over-loaded 7 cell reserve.

But, Phree said that measured by the same methods, they would be about equal (the 170 tempo and 160 pd).

I think that a reserve is a matter of preference and comfort. If you are unconscious under your reserve, it is pretty likely you will get hurt regarless of w/l. Now, of course, the faster you go, the more hurt that could be. It is a matter of a persons willingness to risk that chance. I don't think flying a reserve signifigantly smaller than your main is all that smart. I wonder why many containers are made that way. :S ... Anyhow, if he flies a 160 main, then he's probably pretty comfortable with the size. In the end, one should demo their reserve since they offer it. (of course, I didn't, but I had flown my pd126 already before buying the pd113.)

-A