jrsample

Lake Wales bought out?

What is happening in Lake Wales?

JR

Got this in my email this morning.

The Blue Sky Ranch South @ Lake Wales!
Good Morning! This Thursday 11/22/2012 jumps at The Blue Sky Ranch South @ Lake Wales will be $10 for licensed skydivers for the Opening Day Boogie!
There will also be a free turkey dinner! Jumps at The Blue Sky Ranch South will regularly be $21 for licensed skydivers for the season. Tandems will cost $175 for the season.
This Sunday at The Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner come out and watch football with us at The Dive Bar. Free beer and Wings!
Happy Thanksgiving!!! See you soon!
Skydive the Ranch | 55 Sand Hill Road | Gardiner, NY 12525

What is happening in Lake Wales?

JR

I heard this from a couple of the LW crew that were down with us this weekend.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So, this is the Blue Sky Ranch folks who sued Z-hills over some aircraft/share agreement, and then, pissed off about that outcome, then tried to horn in on Deland's territory by opening a 2nd DZ on the same airport, and having failed at that, now they've finally got a Florida DZ of their own at Lake Wales. That Blue Sky Ranch?

Apparently there are customers that care about nothing but price.

I disagreed with Billy trying to open a DZ on Zhills. I disagreed with him trying to open a DZ in DeLand. I completely disagreed with HOW he tried to do both.

But I also recognize that the US has a free market, and just because Wendy's is on one corner does not mean McDonald's cannot open up on the same corner.

So the fact he is in Lake Wales is good. It allows yet another place for people to jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i am a florida jumper year round, and im really happy that we have someone willing to work to get jumpers there.
i have never seen jump tix that cheap!!!
last i can remember was $14 tix at skydive america in pahokee back in 2000.
i am all for welcoming two otters in place of a king air.
hopefully it will last beyond the winter season
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

last i can remember was $14 tix at skydive america in pahokee back in 2000

Wasn't the DZO a crook who went to jail for stealing people's money? Larry something?

Don't get me wrong, he was a fun guy and a blast at boogies, but I'm pretty sure the whole thing ended with him in jail.

i am a florida jumper year round, and im really happy that we have someone willing to work to get jumpers there.
last i can remember was $14 tix at skydive america in pahokee back in 2000.
i am all for welcoming two otters in place of a king air.
hopefully it will last beyond the winter season

Hi

I was in florida when SDC opened next to Z-hills.

The jump pricesand bennies for fun jumpers were more than adequate.

2 freee load organizers for the walk up loads. One for ea different experience level.

Free video on ea load. $1 tip if you wanted the video dude to burn you a copy.

Save your jump tickets, every 10thor 11th jump was free ( I forget :()

Fun jumpers left Z-Hills in droves.

The next yr we showed up no video.:(

The next yr we showed up no 10 jumps for the price of 9.:(

The next time $1 collected by the load organizer at the dirt dive.

The next time only one load orgainizer.For walk up loads.

There was also the usual price creep over the yr's that was epected but the benies were gone piece at a time

The muff Bro's with and without bumps were still around and made it fun, but the TM, AFF changed the equation, and IMO things weren't the same for the out of town fun jumpers[:/]

What me worry? No whining, no bitching, Just took my business someplace else.B|

Make room for the Tandems & AFF.

Will Lake Wales be any different?

Time will tell.;)

Chow
R.

That one.

The one now undercutting every other DZ in central FL.

You are already familiar with Lodi.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That one.

It's my experience that a FUN Dz is made by the jumpers more-so than the staff. IF the jumping is cheaper and the jumpers work at making it a fun place to be, I see no issue with it.
Also
Isn't you country all about promoting free market competition?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All things being equal? Sure. At the expense of things like aircraft maintenance and the public opinion of skydiving in general, not so much.

That aside, I think the $10 jumps are on the opening weekend only. I would imagine that after that the jumps will go for something close to the 'average' price in the area, whatever that may be these days.

Truth is, given the price of gas (auto gas), a DZ would have to offer some real savings or other incentive to draw jumpers away from closer DZs. Once you factor in the cost of dirving another 100 miles (round trip), plus the time you lose in the day by making that drive, it becomes a tough sell to draw jumpers away from their 'home' DZ.

If I had to drive an extra hour to the DZ, that would knock two hours off my jump day, and cost me another $20 in gas. I'd rather jump at my home DZ, have time (and money) for another jump, and be able to get home earlier, or go out for dinner and still get home at a reasonable hour.

That aside, I think the $10 jumps are on the opening weekend only. I would imagine that after that the jumps will go for something close to the 'average' price in the area, whatever that may be these days.

" Jumps at The Blue Sky Ranch South will regularly be $21 for licensed skydivers for the season."
Remster

Lake Wales has had a difficult time. They brought up a cadre of real nice locals along the way who seem to travel to other DZs in order to get more jumps. I would expect to see these jumpers go back to their "home" DZ. Lake Wales has a great CRW reputation so I would expect to see a lot more CRW activity.

Whether the "Bully Businessman" starts up with divisive tactics in order to "bury" his former business associates is to be seen. Judging from his past efforts one might assume he is not finished being vindictive. Let's see just how long the current staff can stand working with BB.

JR

That one.

It's my experience that a FUN Dz is made by the jumpers more-so than the staff. IF the jumping is cheaper and the jumpers work at making it a fun place to be, I see no issue with it.
Also

Absolutely! On all fronts!
search Lodi or Bill Dause
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239