airdvr

USS Enterprise (CVN-65)

I bunked below the catapults on each of the carriers. Noisy!

very dark too - like a metal tomb.......

that is a REALLY old picture - right after the last refueling....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't understand why it can't be a museum. They can take out the fuel out for servicing the reactors. I can't imagine the reactors are needed elsewhere after they are decommissioned.

In order to remove the reactors they have to dismantle so much of the ship's structure that there is no way to put it back together. There is a possible plan to save the island superstructure as a museum piece.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I bunked below the catapults on each of the carriers. Noisy!

very dark too - like a metal tomb.......

that is a REALLY old picture - right after the last refueling....

------------------------------------------------------------
Damn bringing back memories when I was a denizen of the metal tomb :)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

The current Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Tim Wooldridge Jr, was the Captain of the Enterprise around 2002. I have breakfast with his dad who was the XO on the Forrestal just after the fire whenever I am in Annapolis visiting my dad. These men are class personified.

I know I am a shameless name dropper but these guys are dropping like flies and I feel hugely privileged to be able to sit in their shadows just to listen. 22 years young and flying the Spitfire, Dauntless, Corsair, etc. Man, the stories!

jon

I stand corrected... The current Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is Jim Winnnefeld, Jr. who was Captain of the Enterprise 2000-2002. His dad is also a brilliant and charming man with a stellar Navy career who I am privileged to know.

I saw a headline banner the other day to the effect "Shatner abandons bid to have Enterprise retired." Anyone know anything about this? I presume he wanted the name to be retired not the ship which of course is being retired with or without the input of a foreign actor. I really don't know why he would want the name retired. As a Star Trek fan I hope the US Navy commissions a new Enterprise very soon. The navy should always have an Enterprise until the the day the interstellar fleet has one.

another pic from the deck

Nice Thud

Not a Thud (F-105, which weren't carrier capable) but a MD Phantom F-4, probably the most capable plane of that era. :)

I stand corrected.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I spent a couple of months on the Enterprise as Plane Captain in a Marine Air Squadron of A-4D's.during the Cuban missle crisis. Being on the flight deck during flight operations is an experience everyone should have, but not everyone would like. Only thing possibly scarier would be landing on one at night. Those pilots have big balls.

I spent a couple of months on the Enterprise as Plane Captain in a Marine Air Squadron of A-4D's.during the Cuban missle crisis. Being on the flight deck during flight operations is an experience everyone should have, but not everyone would like. Only thing possibly scarier would be landing on one at night. Those pilots have big balls.

Here are some pics I took on my visit to the Carl Vinson, from the flight deck and Vultures' Row.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Those pilots have big balls.

nonsense - genetically, they'd have to be tiny. Easier for them to retract and hide during landings.

also, jet cockpits are very confining, so also for comfort

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

another pic from the deck

Nice Thud

Not a Thud (F-105, which weren't carrier capable) but a MD Phantom F-4, probably the most capable plane of that era. :)

F4J to be exact ;) pretty bad ass plane. When I finished my tour they were switching to F-14's around 1981
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!