nigel99

cleaning off Jet A1

Help!!!

On Saturday I accidentally took a bath in Jet A1, 4 days later and I still feel and smell like I should have a "highly flammable" warning label on my back.

The stuff got everywhere, my watch, sunglasses, clothes etc. I've washed my sunglasses and watch in dish washer liquid and it has reduced the smell, but even after 3 or 4 washes they aren't ontamination free.

Chucked the clothes in with other washing (after a quick rinse) and now everything smells of it...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If you get some baby (mineral) oil and liberally schmear it all over your body (including your hair), let it sit for as long as you can (15-20 min). Rub it occasionally while waiting. Shower with as hot water as you can stand and use lots of detergent (liquid soap, not bar soap).

Like dissolves like. Stay away from your gear while all lubed up. :P

:)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Thanks I think I'm ok now after multiple showers, but I'll remember the baby oil trick if it happens again.

Will try the vinegar on the clothes as that seems to be taking longer.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If you get some baby (mineral) oil and liberally schmear it all over your body (including your hair)...

My monitor just fogged over.:$
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

put it in your log book as "Dumb stuff I did as a NOOB " :D:D:D:D:D
and go to bunnings and buy a cheap face shield in case it happens again

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What...fueling an Otter?

Caravan. Forgot to take the rubber cap off the top of the fuel hose. Started fueling and got a face full of fuel. Starred blankly at the hose trying to figure it out and tried a second time:S THEN I remembered the cap.

Try climbing down a ladder covered in jet fuel, half blind and with a prop spinning nearbyB|

Learnt my lesson and discovered that everyone's done it at some point.

I work on jet's for a living and feel you're pain. Some nights if I'm messing with fuel I come home and my wife can smell me before she see's me. Here are a couple tips that I use.

Clothes- I take a bucket with hot water and a degreaser and wash and rinse them in the bucket. Try to do this a few times and then throw them in the washer with hot water and detergent. Should be good to go after that. But I have had uniforms that got so soaked that I just threw them out. It happens.

Skin-Hot shower and whatever area's got fuel on use mineral oil. We have a lot of it at work near the first air kits in case we get Skydrol in out eyes. It helps break down the oil in the oil so it can then be washed off with soap.

As for the glasses I don't know what to tell you. I hope this helped a little and good luck.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

As far as decontaminating glasses, shoes etc is concerned, try and get hold of some Fullers Earth.

For boots and shoes, stuff them with soaking wet newspaper and then apply the FE liberally to the outside of the shoes. If the fuel concerned is anything like diesel the FE will turn a deep shade of pink as it absorbs the fuel. Rinse it off with cold water and then reapply the FE. Repaet until the FE doesn't change colour then rinse thoroughly and dry naturally. It's important to keep the newspaper wet during this process as it helps to force the fuel out of the fabric.

For hard surfaces just cover the item with the FE and let it draw the contaminant out. Rinse and reapply regularly.

As a side note, FE is what the British Army issues to soldiers to decontaminate themselves and their equipment in a chemical warfare environment.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I accidentally took a bath in JP-8 a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, you've already chucked them in with other stuff in the washer (big mistake, as you now know!). I tried everything, including dry detergents, liquid detergents with febreeze, borax, oxy clean, soaking them in baking soda and water in the tub, etc. Ultimately, it just takes a lot of washing. I also found it helped to take the clothes out between washes and hang them in the fresh air (not sunshine). The smell will come out, but it just takes a while. Good luck!
The best things in life are dangerous.