FreeFallFiend

Crossfit

Anyone else hooked? I've been doing it a couple months now and can't get enough. I know several other BASE jumpers that do it. As weird as it sounds I get it. The feeling of accomplishment after a good WOD is similar to the feeling of accomplishment i get after a good base jump.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

I do it during the winter. In the summer i prefer to be out riding my bikes.
Its a great workout and its the social aspect that keeps me going to it. My cousins husband has entered strongest man in the world competitions in the past and apparently all the strongman community really rate crossfit as an allround fitness tool.

I enjoy it, but unlike some, for me its a means to an end rather than the end in itself
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Is there some standard definition for Crossfit? All the examples I've seen just seem to combine aerobic exercises with strength exercise.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define+crossfit

;)

Learned a new word today, Rhabdomyolysis, no idea how to pronounce it though. Strangely I was aware of the condition but for some reason didn't know it had such a fancy name.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

<--- Crossfitting for about 1.5 years now. Really enjoying the workouts and the results.

My only suggestion: take it very slow. Don't go too big on the weights too quickly. Take advantage of EVERY SINGLE mobility and flexibility class your box offers.

Elvisio "prescribed" Rodriguez

ETA: Actually, that's two suggestions. Two-for-one-special.

From the vids and stories I've heard is that the crossfit gyms push people too hard. Once they are obviously losing proper form they are pushed to keep going until failure. Sounds like a good way to get hurt, and stuff I've read is that crossfit gyms have a higher rate of injury.
On the other hand I've talked to people who love it, but even they admitted that they were pushed to go to muscle failure. Most said they left the gym puking for awhile after they first started out, but they have had good strength gains.

From the vids and stories I've heard is that the crossfit gyms push people too hard. Once they are obviously losing proper form they are pushed to keep going until failure. Sounds like a good way to get hurt, and stuff I've read is that crossfit gyms have a higher rate of injury.

I've heard of bad CF boxes just like I've heard of bad DZs. The trick is not to let the one or two bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch. The overwhelming majority of the experience that I've had in the CF boxes around here is the opposite of what you describe: form is taught before every class, even if it's mostly experienced members. This is to make sure nobody new slips through the cracks, and to keep reminding the old salts about the importance of good form. Our coaches will (first) "no rep" you if your form is bad, calling your attention to it, then stop your workout and find a way for you to safely modify the workout so that you continue, then (finally) if necessary have you sit out the rest of the workout.

And, just like DZs, CF boxes all have their own vibe. If you go to one that seems too competitive for you, try another! Fortunately enough, CF is getting common enough that even moderately sized cities have multiple gyms so you can shop around.

On the other hand I've talked to people who love it, but even they admitted that they were pushed to go to muscle failure.

Isn't muscle failure the goal for most workout programs? :P

IMO, the reason CF gets a rap for injuries is how easy it is to overdo it. Holy crap, besides ice hockey it's the first workout regimen I've EVER done that is FUN. You always want to try a new movement, new workout, set a higher goal, make a personal best. It's much like skydiving in that regard: in the sport we all need to know our own limitations. Swooping too soon, flying camera too soon, getting into bigways too soon, it's all the same: if your body and mind aren't ready for what you put them through, you'll end up getting hurt.

The same holds for CF, thus my advice a couple posts back. GO SLOW, learn what your body can handle and what it can't. At 38, I spent some time trying to keep up with the 20-somethings that go to my gym, and I ended up with a couple (fortunately) minor tweaks that I'm cleaning up with a little PT and a strong focus on improving my mobility. Now I've learned that I can't judge myself against the 20 year olds. I need to compare myself to "my old self" and be pleased with the awesome improvments I've made. When I do feel the need to compete, it's against men and women that are of a similar age and level of skill as me.

Although it may sound like a heroin addict saying "I can quit anytime I want" I really don't consier myself to be a "CF cultist." I've managed to figure out how much I'm interested in integrating it into my life, and can make improvements in myself without it hurting any other aspects of my life or becoming all-controlling. Just like skydiving, there are "all day, every day jumpers" and weekend warriors.

I'm really happy with the results, and so is the wifey :)

Elvisio "PM if you have any questions or concerns!" Rodriguez

Why am I getting a social media slam from Crossfit. I have people on Facebook blabbing about their work-outs and now I'm seeing it on forums. My assumption is that people are getting rebate for extra time for posting it to boards.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Nah I doubt it. People just get excited about stuff they are into.

This.

There was one of those FB-meme cards floating around a while ago that said: "How do you know a crossfitter? 'Cause it's all they fucking talk about."

Elvisio "on my timeline" Rodriguez

He he - thats pretty spot on. However,
"How do you know a crossfitter skydiver? 'Cause it's all they fucking talk about."

Is also true.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

but they have had good strength gains.

So have I with out doing stupid shit to failure, letting my form break down and getting hurt for it. But I'm 9-weeks out from my 3rd powerlifting meet and have been training hard.

Crossfit has a place, it has some advantages, but it isn't the end all 2nd coming of fitness-jesus and I've seen a number of people get really hurt due to some of the stupid shit they do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Crossfit has a place, it has some advantages, but it isn't the end all 2nd coming of fitness-jesus

ABSOLUTELY agree. The trick is to find what works for you. Crossfit works for me, powerlifting works for you, zumba (gads!) works for my aunt... whatever gets you off the couch.

and I've seen a number of people get really hurt due to some of the stupid shit they do.

...but that could be said about any mode of exercise, no? Never heard of someone getting hurt powerlifting? Speaking with all due respect, you have to admit that powerlifting is one discipline that has more of a stigma of "bad decisions in the name of the sport" than most. Football, basketball, baseball, machines at the globogym, skiing, skydiving, whatever: there is no sport that does not bring with it a share of sports injuries.

Elvisio "to each their own, and in moderation" Rodriguez

Crossfit has a place, it has some advantages, but it isn't the end all 2nd coming of fitness-jesus

ABSOLUTELY agree. The trick is to find what works for you. Crossfit works for me, powerlifting works for you, zumba (gads!) works for my aunt... whatever gets you off the couch.

and I've seen a number of people get really hurt due to some of the stupid shit they do.

...but that could be said about any mode of exercise, no? Never heard of someone getting hurt powerlifting? Speaking with all due respect, you have to admit that powerlifting is one discipline that has more of a stigma of "bad decisions in the name of the sport" than most. Football, basketball, baseball, machines at the globogym, skiing, skydiving, whatever: there is no sport that does not bring with it a share of sports injuries.

Elvisio "to each their own, and in moderation" Rodriguez

No, I agree that people can really hurt themselves powerlifting, especially after they start to get strong and start pushing real numbers. The difference is that powerlifting is still a fringe sport in the fitness world, crossfit is the super-popular right now thing. So you have numerous gyms opening with low-experienced "trainers" and throngs of people becoming members.

With Zumba you'll fall over, you won't drop a bar on your head or blow your lumbar out doing deadlifts wrong. With both Zumba and Crossfit the members are annoying as hell missionaries out into the world to spread the word of their gospel fitness. ;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why am I getting a social media slam from Crossfit. I have people on Facebook blabbing about their work-outs and now I'm seeing it on forums. My assumption is that people are getting rebate for extra time for posting it to boards.

Probably because it's trending right now. Not all things that are trendy are bad. As far as advertising and recruiting goes...the social media slam makes sense, but boards do not as gyms are local.

I just think its a lot of fun and a great workout. Very personally rewarding. I am surprised at the feeling of accomplishment I get after a good WOD, it's very similar to a good base jump.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

Probably because it's trending right now. Not all things that are trendy are bad. As far as advertising and recruiting goes...the social media slam makes sense, but boards do not as gyms are local.

I just think its a lot of fun and a great workout. Very personally rewarding. I am surprised at the feeling of accomplishment I get after a good WOD, it's very similar to a good base jump.

The network is national so it would make sense. I know absolutely nothing about it but I'm finding out that it would be a good program for me if I went to the gym. It's very similar to how I worked out when I played college lacrosse. But I prefer to get my workouts on the 200 acres of trails behind my house and on the various rivers in my area, the smell is much better than that of people's BO and an overheating treadmill.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Anyone else hooked?

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily hooked but I like it alot...

When I'm back home down below in Detroit there's a gym where I crossfit, but way up here in my dooms day enclave I haven't found the desired equipment so I just stick to Insanity....(lol)

...and p90x.

I certainly feel more accomplished after burning out in a crossfit of rage, but I don't mind staying home with P90x and Insanity so I don't have to waste time getting ready and driving to the gym and then having to communicate with other carbon units.

But thanks for posting this...I've been slacking the last few months and need to get back up. I tend to get very depressed in the winter (holidays/cold weather) and would rather just hibernate... exercise should help in that area.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I don't know if this video is some sort not-like-this example or if its real, but that is horrifying. Anyone know what kind of weights those are? They don't look that heavy at least.

Those must be rubber 'plates'. I managed to freeze frame one when she dropped it and it was bent pretty well.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't know if this video is some sort not-like-this example or if its real, but that is horrifying. Anyone know what kind of weights those are? They don't look that heavy at least.

Those must be rubber 'plates'. I managed to freeze frame one when she dropped it and it was bent pretty well.

Either they are rubber or she is lifting over 400 lbs.