promise5

Would you give up skydiving?

My girlfriend hates that I skydive because she's a bum and doesn't like waking up before noon on the weekends...

Why is she your "girlfriend" if this is your opinion of her?

Convienience??

She was easy. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My girlfriend hates that I skydive because she's a bum and doesn't like waking up before noon on the weekends...

Convienience??

She was easy. :ph34r:

It was HIS turn! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Something CLOSE to that once...

Kinda sorta fell off of a rice burning crotch rocket at about 125 mph once...

Bent me up pretty good, but when my SO & I went to the wrecking yard to get my keys & stuff off the bike, she saw it was a burned up mess sitting in 3 shopping carts...I got the 'me or a motorcycle' ultimatum from her.

HAH!!! I had about the same thing happen but mine was a derailed chain that locked up the back wheel on a gentle sweeper at over 100 while making a run for our clubhouse on my Ducati the weekend I put it back on the street (still had racing pipes and slicks) - no license plate or anything, *some reason the sherrif wanted to talk to me bout something :$

I somehow went over a ditch on the edge of the road and ended up going straight down a row of apple trees full of apples - I am here to tell you you dont ever want to do this, it was like what I imagine standing in front of a pitching machine throwing rocks would be like[:/] got it down to maybe 50mph before finally losing it on the wet grass and sliding forever right passed the farmer on his tractor.

sherrif went right past the orchard n never saw me - guess the applesauce was good cammo:D
farmers only comment before nearly falling down laughing was "that was cool!" once he quit laughing *(took a while) he helped me get the chain popped out from between the swingarm and the sprocket and I limped it home. my g/f went nuts and swore if I was going to ride this stupid on the street she was gone - I either put it back on the track or ride like I actually had a brain I believe is how she put it, after I quit being mad as hell I gave it a lot of thought and decided she was right and my off track hijinks were over.

but if she would have told me to quit riding altogether I do believe she would have been told to hit the road.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

That's the best part about 'dating' bums...when ya finally get tired of 'em just throw them out of the car.

They always have everything they own with 'em & and no matter where ya drop them off...they're HOME. B|

Well, she's not technically a bum, shes a radiologist resident at the local hospitals. She just likes to be a bum on the weekends. (and any other day she can sleep in) :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

shes a radiologist resident at the local hospitals.

Oh no, you don't want to date a radiologist.

They can see right through you. :P

I'm going to steal that line.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Never. I wouldnt give up skydiving for anything.

Get back to me in 30 years on that! ;)

You've been saying that shit for the last couple millenia. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A few years after I graduated, I was at an event with the director of admissions from my graduate program. I asked her "Do you ever go back and look at the application essays where people said what they wanted to do with their degree and see how far off most of them are?" She chuckled and said that would be a fun exercise if she had time.

Likewise, I'd love to go through these forums and find all the new(er) jumpers who've said "I'll never ever ever stop" who have sold their gear and moved on in life (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just laugh when I see those pronouncements (and hell, I'm still a tourist and I've already seen tons come and go!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A few years after I graduated, I was at an event with the director of admissions from my graduate program. I asked her "Do you ever go back and look at the application essays where people said what they wanted to do with their degree and see how far off most of them are?" She chuckled and said that would be a fun exercise if she had time.

Likewise, I'd love to go through these forums and find all the new(er) jumpers who've said "I'll never ever ever stop" who have sold their gear and moved on in life (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just laugh when I see those pronouncements (and hell, I'm still a tourist and I've already seen tons come and go!).

What's the cut-off for tourists? 20 years? I've got less than 4 months to hit my 20th sky birthday. :P

What's the cut-off for tourists? 20 years? I've got less than 4 months to hit my 20th sky birthday. :P

I've always heard 10, so I think you're safe (although how long has it been since your last jump - you might be heading into retroactive whuffo territory again ;))

August 2014 till I'm no longer a tourist.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've always heard 10, so I think you're safe (although how long has it been since your last jump - you might be heading into retroactive whuffo territory again ;))

There's retroactive wuffo status? :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Touche`. :P Last jump was Sept 2010, though I've gone almost a year without jumping before that, plus I haven't made a winter jump in probably 10 years. :D

I would say 80% of my total jumps were made before the year 2000. I was a skydiver in the 90's, tourist since. :D

There's retroactive wuffo status? :o

Sure, it's just like retroactive virginity when you don't get any in a while. ;):P

From what I've seen in 38 years, there's about an 80% turnover each decade at most DZ's. But that's fine. There's a lot of sports I've drifted into and out of.

It's fun to travel to boogies and see old friends from 20-30 years ago still jumping. :)

My father did almost exactly that when he was about 15 years out; he had a degree in engineering, and an MBA, and spent some time tracking previous engineering graduates from him university (he was teaching business there). About 50% were still doing something related to engineering.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My wife wouldn't even consider asking me such a silly thing. In fact, she tells me to go jump. Why, just yesterday, soon after she asked me if I have yet updated my life insurance, she insisted that I go and jump. Sadly though, they weren't yet jumping at Chicagoland Skydiving. Maybe a few jumpers will show up today. I hope so, as I won't get back down here to Rochelle for another month once I am done testing the rail down this way.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I actually did give it up once, for 22 years. Right when I got married. It was my decision though, for my own rasons. My wife (who I'm still married too, nearly 32 years later) never once asked me to stop. She's always said she knew she was marrying a skydiver. The kids are now both grown up and off on their own. When I started back ten years ago, I had my wife's full support, even when I broke my leg the following year.

There are plenty of reasons to stop jumping - some are valid and some aren't. I could stop again for the right reasons. This may sound like heresy, but there really is more to life than just skydiving.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !