BillyVance

Texas fertilizer plant explosion

We'd probably just reduce endemic American obesity. Win-win.

And cure much of the 3rd world of its rampant over population. [:/]

Back on thread, terrible accident. Not unheard of in the fertilizer business. A ship of fertilizer blew up in Galveston in 1947, killing well over 500 people. [:/]

WOW! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ROrpKx3aIjA

That's one for a future "Destroyed In Seconds" episode!

That was a pretty shitty thing to say.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

holy shit "killed at least 581 people, including all but one member of the Texas City fire department" never heard of this before

Maybe because you weren't born yet? :P

2300 tons of ammonium nitrate? Sounds about right. That explosion makes this recent one look like a firecracker in comparison. :S

In this case, 25 tons of anhydrous ammonia was involved. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

holy shit "killed at least 581 people, including all but one member of the Texas City fire department" never heard of this before

Maybe because you weren't born yet? :P

2300 tons of ammonium nitrate? Sounds about right. That explosion makes this recent one look like a firecracker in comparison. :S

In this case, 25 tons of anhydrous ammonia was involved. [:/]

Something doesn't smell just right about this.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

No "Smoking Gun" here. No terrorism, I can guarantee you in the upcoming investigation there will be a conclusion of poor facilities and management. That is a very old facility. They should never have placed it where they did, in the middle of neighborhoods and nursing homes. Keep Boston & West, Texas in your prayers.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

No "Smoking Gun" here. No terrorism, I can guarantee you in the upcoming investigation there will be a conclusion of poor facilities and management. That is a very old facility. They should never have placed it where they did, in the middle of neighborhoods and nursing homes. Keep Boston & West, Texas in your prayers.

I looked at google maps, and couldn't figure out where it was. I did notice the football stadium that was used as a triage location... gotta look something up....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

West, Texas is approx 20-25 miles north of Waco. Off of Hwy 35 I believe. I found it I'll look it up again and post the URL, I'll be back.

No worries... I found it. Was looking in the wrong place in town. right next to West Middle School. At the northeast edge of town.

West, Texas is approx 20-25 miles north of Waco. Off of Hwy 35 I believe. I found it I'll look it up again and post the URL, I'll be back.

No worries... I found it. Was looking in the wrong place in town. right next to West Middle School. At the northeast edge of town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=west+,+tx&hl=en&ll=31.815962,-97.088011&spn=0.004463,0.00486&sll=38.997934,-105.550567&sspn=8.355368,9.953613&t=h&hnear=West,+McLennan,+Texas&z=18
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The middle school is destroyed, as is the nursing home, apartment complex and most of the homes near the plant. It isn't that the plant shouldn't have been built there, it is that the surrounding town shouldn't have built up around the plant.

Last unconfirmed numbers I saw said 6 firefighters, 2 EMS and 1 police officer killed in the blast. It was a working fire before the explosion. Honestly I'm surprised it was a working fire and not an immediate evacuation drill for the town once it caught on fire, there just may not have been enough time.

For first responders there are premise notes for stuff like this. Many times for critical incidents, like a large structure fire at a dangerous goods manufacturing/storage facility, those premise notes will say "set a perimeter X number of feet away and evacuate surrounding buildings." That X is sometimes in the thousands of feet, sometimes that X is in miles.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I bet Jack Schitz entire family was living there.

"West Fertilizer" has a bad safety history. They were fined, and shut down in 2006 for a "Lingering Amonia Smell" This is the same substance Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the Murry building in Oklahoma way back when. Sad deal is there's Looting going on, hmph..."Every dog has his day"

I'm on my way to help those guys out, I'll try to keep ya'll updated with .jpegs and posts if I can, I'm gone.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

The middle school is destroyed, as is the nursing home, apartment complex and most of the homes near the plant. It isn't that the plant shouldn't have been built there, it is that the surrounding town shouldn't have built up around the plant.

Last unconfirmed numbers I saw said 6 firefighters, 2 EMS and 1 police officer killed in the blast. It was a working fire before the explosion. Honestly I'm surprised it was a working fire and not an immediate evacuation drill for the town once it caught on fire, there just may not have been enough time.

For first responders there are premise notes for stuff like this. Many times for critical incidents, like a large structure fire at a dangerous goods manufacturing/storage facility, those premise notes will say "set a perimeter X number of feet away and evacuate surrounding buildings." That X is sometimes in the thousands of feet, sometimes that X is in miles.

No doubt here that there are going to be some hard questions needing answers on why this happened.

This is the same substance Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the Murry building in Oklahoma way back when.

No, it's not.

Anhydrous ammonia is not the same as Ammonium Nitrate.

Now I'm confused; Which should I use in my laundry?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is the same substance Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the Murry building in Oklahoma way back when.

No, it's not.

Anhydrous ammonia is not the same as Ammonium Nitrate.

Now I'm confused; Which should I use in my laundry?[:/]

Ammonium and Nitrous Oxide?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants