wildcard451

Unpowered Lawn Mowers

Anyone ever use one of those unpowered reel/blade push mowers? +/-?? My mower can't handle my lawn anymore and have to buy a new one.

Was considering greening it up a bit and getting away from gas powered mowers.

Like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_317736-1078-6201_4294747210__?productId=3168445&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Anyone ever use one of those unpowered reel/blade push mowers? +/-?? My mower can't handle my lawn anymore and have to buy a new one.

Was considering greening it up a bit and getting away from gas powered mowers.

Like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_317736-1078-6201_4294747210__?productId=3168445&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Soon after my new neighbor moved in next door, I heard an unfamiliar sound, and peeked over the fence to see what the hell he was doing. It was one of these. He uses it exclusively to mow his lawn, so he must be happy with it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If your lawn killed your powered mower, then what makes you think your puny arms can push that thing through the yard? But to answer your question, my 300lb + next door neighbor uses one to mow her lawn every weekend. Gotta keep the blades sharp to keep the cut clean, otherwise you could damage your yard.

If your lawn killed your powered mower, then what makes you think your puny arms can push that thing through the yard? But to answer your question, my 300lb + next door neighbor uses one to mow her lawn every weekend. Gotta keep the blades sharp to keep the cut clean, otherwise you could damage your yard.

The lawn didn't actually kill the mower I have -- the mower I have sucks. Useful more for bagging leaves than mowing a healthy bit of grass. I am in the market for a new one.

You will want to buy a good one, keep the blades sharp and cut the grass on time. If you ever get behind you are screwed.

Actually, we were complete slackers and let the grass grow really long in between trims, and it worked better than a powered lawnmower handling it.
Remster

If your yard's relatively small and relatively flat, it's probably a great choice. I tried to use one on the crazy jungle I had in a rental house in Seattle, and it was a disaster. But for a small, flat lawn it would be great (and green!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

While I applaud your eco-sensibility, I notice that you aren't saving all that much money compared to a decent push mower... another hundred bucks gets you a respectable push mower.

Another fact: even with the relatively decent city-house-sized lot I mowed when I was a kid, our Briggs and Stratton burned (maybe) a gallon of gas a year. So hey, cool to keep down the carbon emissions, but how many gallons of Jet A do we burn per jumper every time we jump? ;)

If you could get one for almost nothing, or if we measured our mowers' gas consumption in gallons per yard, I'd say go for it. But given the numbers as they are...

FINALLY: is your old mower toast, or does it just need a tune-up? A once-a-year (every other year at the outside) tune up and sharpening of the blade will do wonders for a mower.

Elvisio "SOOOOO glad all I have to do is spray Roundup on the rocks anymore" Rodriguez

When we had a small house in Toronto with an even smaller yard, we bought the least expense mower available, which was a hand powered like that, but much less expensive. It did the job.

Was that in Canada? How many times did you have to cut the yard during the two and a half weeks each year that it wasn't covered by snow?

Elvisio "where 'June' is just another way of saying 'bad sledding weather'" Rodriguez

When we had a small house in Toronto with an even smaller yard, we bought the least expense mower available, which was a hand powered like that, but much less expensive. It did the job.

Was that in Canada? How many times did you have to cut the yard during the two and a half weeks each year that it wasn't covered by snow?

Elvisio "where 'June' is just another way of saying 'bad sledding weather'" Rodriguez

Our grass, like us Canadian men, are a hardy breed. :P
Remster

Our grass, like us Canadian men, are a hardy breed. :P

Yeah ~ the grass like the men is pretty Crabby too!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sorry, can't help you there. With 3 acres of grass, there is no fucking way in hell I'm mowing it with anything other than a riding mower. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sorry, can't help you there. With 3 acres of grass, there is no fucking way in hell I'm mowing it with anything other than a riding mower. :P

Hey aren't your daughters old enough to start cutting the grass for you
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Another fact: even with the relatively decent city-house-sized lot I mowed when I was a kid, our Briggs and Stratton burned (maybe) a gallon of gas a year. So hey, cool to keep down the carbon emissions, but how many gallons of Jet A do we burn per jumper every time we jump? ;)

But those air cooled carbureted engines spew bad emissions at a much higher rate per gallon than any modern car.

I'd say there's a third choice, electric. :)

+1
I've used only electric since 1996.
Once you get your technique down so you aren't running over the cord, it's great!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

But those air cooled carbureted engines spew bad emissions at a much higher rate per gallon than any modern car.

So does every carbureted airplane, car and boat out there.

I've been thinking of building a solar power lawn mower.

When the battery dies, you leave it alone and go drink a couple beers. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've always wondered - do you die a toasty death if you run over the cord? Ok, I guess I know you won't die ... but are you adequately grounded in this scenario?

I damaged a couple cords until I got my method down.
Never got shocked.

Hey aren't your daughters old enough to start cutting the grass for you

Nope... Even the riding mower came with warnings that kids do NOT use it. Maybe when they're teenagers and can actually reach the brake. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Used one and hated it. But, then it could have just been the fact that that was one of my dads punishments when I was growing up. Though he never called them punishments. One of his favorite statements" you have enough energy to do that? Ok we'll just fix that "
Never understood how pulling an attitude took so much energy that we had to push that sucker around the yard!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.