wmw999

Etymology of "pud" in skydiving

OK, I looked up "pud" on wiktionary, and there are two definitions -- one is short for "pudding," and the other is "penis." I'm not sure either is the origin for the skydiving version, but I'm dipped if I can either figure out or remember where it comes from.

I do know that people besides my husband don't understand what I'm talking about when I call a thumb drive a pud :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Pancho: We got your prime pilots that get all the hot planes. And we got your pudknockers who dream about getting the hot planes. Now what are you two pudknockers going to have?

I'm going to have to say it's your basic dick joke.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

True, that was the original pud, and it is rather suggestively shaped...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I remember a buddy with a Centaurus rig that had the suggestively shaped handle on the belly band...pulling it popped the pin for the spring loaded pilot-chute.

He's always try to correct people...it's a twinkie not a PUD! :ph34r:

Yeah well...when I get scared I never grab my 'twinkie'! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That's funny, I was a Racer jumper, and never gave it a thought as to why it's called that.

I just know, that it was the first thing to fix. Early on with my first racer, I had a floating pud and there was no way I could reach it (I'm very flexible, too, but that was just impossible to reach at terminal). I converted it to a leg-mounted PC, and was very happy with that.

I don't ever remember any sexual innuendo attached.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

That's funny, I was a Racer jumper, and never gave it a thought as to why it's called that.

I just know, that it was the first thing to fix. Early on with my first racer, I had a floating pud and there was no way I could reach it (I'm very flexible, too, but that was just impossible to reach at terminal). I converted it to a leg-mounted PC, and was very happy with that.

I don't ever remember any sexual innuendo attached.

Had 2 of those and switched to a throw-out. Even before the modern version of the pud, my original SST had a pad connected to the container with velcro we referred to as the pud.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/pull-(one's)-pud

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pull%20your%20pud

The original shape when the transition from ripcord to belly-band was occuring was the long slender pouch into which the pilot chute was stuffed, similar in appearance to a dildo. So pulling your ripcord became pulling your pud. The shape of the pouch has since transformed, but the name has stuck.

My first recollection of the use of "pud" in parachuting was when the Racer had a rectangle of Velcro hook on the bottom of the container and a fuzzy "pud" attached to the "pull-out" bridle.

They were notorious for floating so, in an attempt to make it more secure, a loop was added to the container for a rubber stow band and a tab was added to the tip of the pud to wrap the band around.

This lasted for awhile then the pud was reinforced and tucked into two slots, one at either end, still BOC.

How about "Parachute Unpacking Device"?

jon

My first recollection of the use of "pud" in parachuting was when the Racer had a rectangle of Velcro hook on the bottom of the container and a fuzzy "pud" attached to the "pull-out" bridle.

They were notorious for floating so, in an attempt to make it more secure, a loop was added to the container for a rubber stow band and a tab was added to the tip of the pud to wrap the band around.

This lasted for awhile then the pud was reinforced and tucked into two slots, one at either end, still BOC.

How about "Parachute Unpacking Device"?

jon

"Parachute Unpacking Device"... I like that. :D

Yeah, that's my first recollection, too. I had an old retrofitted SST (non-Racer) that also had a pud.

Wendy P.

Hi Jim,

when I get scared I never grab my 'twinkie'!

This could take care of that:

A man wakes up in the hospital bandaged from head to foot.

The doctor comes in and says, "Ah, I see you've regained consciousness. Now you probably won't remember, but you were in a huge pile-up on the freeway.
You're going to be ok, you'll walk again and everything, but your penis was severed in the accident and we couldn't find it"

The man groans, but the doctor goes on, "You've got $9000 in insurance compensation coming and we now have the technology to build a new penis.
They work great but. don't come cheap. It's roughly $1000 an inch." The man perks up.

"So," the doctor says, "You must decide how many inches you want. But I understand that you have been married for over thirty years and this is
something you should discuss with your wife. If you had a five incher before and get a nine incher now she might be a bit put out. If you had a nine
incher before and you decide to only invest in a five incher now, she might be disappointed. It's important that she plays a role in helping you make a decision."

The man agrees to talk it over with his wife.

The doctor comes back the next day, "So, have you spoken with your wife?" "

Yes I have and she has helped me make a decision."

And what is your decision?" asks the doctor.

"We're getting granite countertops."

:P

JerryBaumchen

Yeah, that's my first recollection, too. I had an old retrofitted SST (non-Racer) that also had a pud.

Pud is a pretty suggestive term. I jumped 'em for years and some people called it a "dildo" instead. :D

I think the pud and pullout predate the belly band throw outs, don't they?

That's true -- I do remember dildo now that you mention it

Wendy P.

Hi John,

I think the pud and pullout predate the belly band throw outs, don't they?

I do not know which of them got their TSO first; Jump Shack ( SST ) vs RelativeWorkshop ( WonderHog ).

I think that the SST was first; but it came with a ripcord activated main. The WonderHog came on the market with the bellyband throwout.

Later, the SST/Racer made the change to a pull-out.

So, the answer is => No.

JerryBaumchen

Hey -- not only did my SST have a dildo, it was a pink fuzzy dildo :D. But later I had trouble pulling my boyfriend's black dildo and had to go to my reserve :)

Wendy P.