quade

NY Times - "My Medical Choice" By ANGELINA JOLIE

I can't imagine and hope to never be placed in any sort of position where I have to choose stuff like this, but also I can't imagine what kind of mental courage it took her, of all people, to come out in public and write about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?_r=1&

Just amazing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Wow. Very impressive and moving, and I'm sure an article like that will help lots of women in the same position. I've no real interest in celebrity culture, but it's great to see people in the public eye setting a good example when so much reality TV in particular seems to celebrate obnoxious behaviour.

Even before this I thought of Jolie and Pitt - as far as it's possible to tell these things - as among the most 'normal' of A-list celebs. I was at the wind tunnel when they and their kids made a trip there last year. Although they had the tunnel to themselves (and there were more than enough of them to keep up the rotations!) security was very low-key, there were no cameras, and they happily mingled with the skydivers while they were getting ready to fly.

Good for her. I had the test a few years ago for similar reasons. Very fortunately, I'm negative.

Having the balls to actually do something about it? Priceless.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Somebody brought Mr Negative to the party again.....Somebody brought Mr Negative to the party again.....

No, you just showed up all by by yourself. See my ammended post above Ian, that's allright. No apology expected. You just know, I'm NOT your new "John Rich."
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Now I love her I think she is awesome, however am I the only one who thinks a bit extreme? Considering were talking someone gave her percentages and she decided to cut of body parts!!.

Not sure not a woman so I have no idea the only thing I can compare them to is may balls. If they tell me there is a99.99999999999999999999999999999999 chance that I will get ball cancer unless I cut them off I am sure I would keep them and say hey lets wait and see

Either way I hope no one has to make a decision like that.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

That is a tough choice and my hat is off to Angelina for doing it. Now, with that said, are insurance companies going to cover all of that for the average woman, including the first class reconstructive surgery? Not everyone can hire the best in the world out of pocket. [:/]

rwieder

Somebody brought Mr Negative to the party again.....Somebody brought Mr Negative to the party again.....

No, you just showed up all by by yourself. See my ammended post above Ian, that's allright. No apology expected. You just know, I'm NOT your new "John Rich."

Why would I apologize for your negativity?

Just remember that it was you who decided to do the 'old news' post ;)
Performance Designs Factory Team

Actually, it was published May 14.

What's your source Clark Kent? There's a little thing called the "Wonder Wall" on msn.com that has all kinds of stuff not published elsewhere, I don't pay much attention to it simply b/c I just don't care. A.J. not having any breast anymore isn't going to change my life one way or another, yours? Is there anything you guys DON'T KNOW?
-Richard-

rwieder

Actually, it was published May 14.

What's your source Clark Kent? There's a little thing called the "Wonder Wall" on msn.com that has all kinds of stuff not published elsewhere, I don't pay much attention to it simply b/c I just don't care. A.J. not having any breast anymore isn't going to change my life one way or another, yours? Is there anything you guys DON'T KNOW?

My source is the article.

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
My Medical Choice
By ANGELINA JOLIE
Published: May 14, 2013

Remster

Remster

My source is the article.

***OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
My Medical Choice
By ANGELINA JOLIE
Published: May 14, 2013

...together with the fact that it's hard to write at the beginning of February about having finished your treatment in April. :)

...together with the fact that it's hard to write at the beginning of February about having finished your treatment in April.

Feb the 2nd was the 1st phase of her treatment. they didn't just go in and do the radical mystectomy all at once. Pardon for the language, but this was when the "Nipple" treatment was done. Which is when I first learned of it.
-Richard-

Darius11

Now I love her I think she is awesome, however am I the only one who thinks a bit extreme? Considering were talking someone gave her percentages and she decided to cut of body parts!!.

Not sure not a woman so I have no idea the only thing I can compare them to is may balls. If they tell me there is a99.99999999999999999999999999999999 chance that I will get ball cancer unless I cut them off I am sure I would keep them and say hey lets wait and see

You know you can be a hell of a pro cyclist with just one ball.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Now I love her I think she is awesome, however am I the only one who thinks a bit extreme? Considering were talking someone gave her percentages and she decided to cut of body parts!!.

You know you can be a hell of a pro cyclist with just one ball.:P

and a few performance enhancers . . . just sayin.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

1) Did they hold a funeral for the twins?
2) Did they have them mounted?
3) if not can I be the taxidermist?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not sure not a woman so I have no idea the only thing I can compare them to is may balls.

Probably depends on the woman. However, testicles provide fertility and testosterone -- both are more important than nursing, which is the primary function of breasts. Also, testicular cancer has a very high cure rate, much better than either breast or ovarian cancer.

With her numbers, I might well make the same decision. Ovarian cancer is a pretty notable killer, but they too provide hormones -- that's a tougher decision than breasts.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't see how it's anyone's business other than her's and her family and close friends....

Courage to make the choice vs cowardly to not fight it, lots of ways to spin it
(IMHO? - I'll go with gutsy, and always making a -decision- is something to approve of).

One thing we do know, is every fart some people make will hit the press.

Two things we actually know - very rich hollywood types will have the best cosmetic surgeons money can hire.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants