JohnMitchell

Total Scam?

So I'm selling an antique sewing machine on Craig's list. Although several people expressed an interest in it, only one has said they'll buy it right now. But in his second email, there was something that sounded too familiar.

"Thanks for your email and for getting back to me with the requested
info for payment making.I will like to confirm to you that the check
have been issue and send to you and it was sent out to you via COURIER
SERVICE and you would be getting the payment anytime soon and You will
receive the payment through UPS or FedEx Courier services with the
shipping funds. to cover the shipment of the goods i bought from you.
Once you receive the check, have it cashed and deduct your money for
the goods also Deduct $100 for your running around that I have caused
you during the transaction period and send the remaining funds to the
shipper, and the shipper is also picking some other valuable goods (like
household, furniture's and electronics set.) at the same city of your
location,to my new apartment.that is why you need to help me and
transfer the amount to the moving company.This was sent to avoid delay
in this transaction and was sent in the interest of protection between
us,Hope i can trust you with the shipper fund and you will handle this
for me.I will email you the tracking number of the check package and
what to do as soon as you get the check.I will send my shipper
information to you a soon as i track the status of the check and it
indicates that it have been delivered to you (delivered).I do hope to
hear from you as soon as you get this message. Do have a pleasant
day..talk to you soon!"

Think it's a setup? :D

You did good, but[:/]

Some of those Nigerians have a preverse sense of humor, how much information did you give them, because then they actually like to send even dumber people to your home for the free puppies,...B|
C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

You did good, but[:/]

Some of those Nigerians have a preverse sense of humor, how much information did you give them, because then they actually like to send even dumber people to your home for the free puppies,...B|

Uh oh. . . I did provide an address based on an earlier email that sounded legit. I guess I'm in for it. :S

JohnMitchell

***You did good, but[:/]

Uh oh. . . I did provide an address based on an earlier email that sounded legit. I guess I'm in for it. :S

Better stock up on Puppies! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******You did good, but[:/]

... better yet, AMMO!

Oh, wait, never mind.

:$

:P

ZigZagMarquis

*********You did good, but[:/]

... better yet, AMMO!

Oh, wait, never mind.

potato gun that shoots puppies. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ZigZagMarquis

... better yet, AMMO!

USED ammo.

Whenever I read one of these things, I wonder: who could possibly fall for this crap? How can the effort be worthwhile? ...and then I think of my mom. She is so pitifully techno-backward that the only thing saving her from being scammed on a daily basis is that she doesn't even know how to "check email" without help from me or my sister.

If she ever DOES start online shopping, or get on Facebook, or any other kind of online activity I imagine I'll have to have an "internet birds and the bees" talk with her where I explain 419 scams, spoofing, phishing, all that crap.

Elvisio "no mom, they DON'T really think you need that kind of pill" Rodriguez

BillyVance

************You did good, but[:/]

... better yet, AMMO!

Oh, wait, never mind.

potato gun that shoots puppies. :D

Why do you want to shoot puppies? Vacuum, Billy. Vacuum. :|

:D:D
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

airtwardo

Or meat clevers....

JohnMitchell

NEVER give your address out.

Email, phone, ever....

Google a nice public place near you, grocery store, walmart etc.

When they ask for your address....give that one.

When they arrive and call and say wtf I am at a walmart?? You say I am 2 minutes away, here I come.

Be safe. You have a family etc, there are crazy fucks out there.

Bignugget

NEVER give your address out.

Email, phone, ever....

Google a nice public place near you, grocery store, walmart etc.

When they ask for your address....give that one.

When they arrive and call and say wtf I am at a walmart?? You say I am 2 minutes away, here I come.

Be safe. You have a family etc, there are crazy fucks out there.

What he said.

Jeez, John. Don't make us worry about you.

JohnMitchell

John your joking right?

I'm sure you remember the couple that tried to raise some spare change on CL for a fun trip to disney land by advertising a diamond ring for sale.

Do you have any plastic sheets you can put over your carpet just in case you need todo the bang thing.

CL is real hit and miss. FWIW new mormal is to meet on neutral ground. Giving out you home address you may have to protect yourself but then you get to clean up the bio hazard or have to pay a pro to come in and clean the mess.

Cl is not a cake walk Im sure you and V can take care of yourself and are well aware of the math. Jury of 12 vs 8 peeps to carry the box.

We just leave extra stuff by the curb with a sign that says free. 2 hrs it's gone . Not worth exposing my location for some chump change.

Be well
R.

I don't want to use my pepper spray inside my house no idea how long it would take to clear the air in a enclosed space. For now we still have
250 lbs of dog one will be going over the rainbow bridge and we still have a wolf guarding the gate.
One Jump Wonder

Some of The boiler room scammers in the U.S. are very creative, and would borrow some spare change from a dead mans eye's.

Some time your last line of defense is nosy neighbors and a UPS driver.

The seniors older than twardo don, t need the net or a credit card to scammed just a small ad in a magazine is enough to get the ball rolling.

As long as a senior can read a magazine and write a check, or place a order over the phone watch out. If you go home and find mass qtys of mags laying around thats not a good sign.

When you find mass qtys of cheap ass custom jewelry, or other useless junk laying around you better react immediatly. My boss just returned from a quick visit home for a medical emergency
One Jump Wonder

A few years ago I was selling 4 snow tires off a Sunfire I scrapped, had some dude email me from Saudi Arabia wanting to buy them.

Just a few years ago we sold our Impala, got an email from Nigeria requesting to buy the car, one of the questions the buyer asked was how well the car ran, I emailed him back saying my mechanic Marty McFly advised me the flux capacitor needed to be replaced and the chief mechanic Mr Scott needed to adjust the warp drive engine, he emailed me back asking if I would deduct the costs of these repairs from the selling price.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

skydiver604

Just a few years ago we sold our Impala, got an email from Nigeria requesting to buy the car, one of the questions the buyer asked was how well the car ran, I emailed him back saying my mechanic Marty McFly advised me the flux capacitor needed to be replaced and the chief mechanic Mr Scott needed to adjust the warp drive engine, he emailed me back asking if I would deduct the costs of these repairs from the selling price.

:| Did you?

Krip

John your joking right?

I'm sure you remember the couple that tried to raise some spare change on CL for a fun trip to disney land by advertising a diamond ring for sale.

I sure do. And I know strangers can be dangerous. I have to say, though, that my house is hardly hidden, my street address is no state secret, and an old sewing machine does not hint of great wealth. I do have a man from Idaho who will pick it up next week. I'm not too worried but you can bet I'll take (wear) all the usual precautions.

And the entry way (as you know) is hardwood. It should mop up easily. :)
I appreciate all the concern. That Canadian truck thing is terrible. I imagine that could happen no matter where you met the prospective buyers. [:/]