soignet

Using BDU pants as jump pants?

I was just wondering how many people use them as everyday jump pants and how they hold up. I was thinking of buying some freefly pants but since I have a bunch of BDU's and you can tie the bottoms thought they would work the same.

So any input would help. Thanks

I've put a shitload of jumps on BDU trou and those that haven't survived a rough life and are now shorts. Some of the most comfy pants/shorts you can jump in.

However, for FF, you'll find that they don't offer enough drag for a lot of people and the ties on the bottom SUCK at holding your pants down.

My advice is to dress for success, wear an appropiate jumpsuit for the jump. I wear the BDUs for hop-n-pops, under my jumpsuit, sometimes on tandems, crw jumps, stuff like that, not for jumps with others where I'll need more fall rate control.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I actually use BDUs during the summer for FF. Because it gets so hot where I jump and my jump suit is black!!! I wear a regular length in the BDUs but I wear the long for skydiving(freeflying).

Drag is only perception.. Dont be fooled.. Fly your body they offer enough drag for my 225lbs out of the door ass. No matter how big we are gong on our head, feet or belly.
Oh, you dont need to tie them anyways. The openings usually arent wide enough to go over the calf so you usually dont have them riding up when on your feet....

Drag is only perception.. Dont be fooled.. Fly your body they offer enough drag for my 225lbs out of the door ass.

Speak for yourself little man. I'm 60lbs heavier then you are out the door and for me, drag makes or breaks me on group skydives. I can fly my sit very very slow for my size, BUT flying on the edge of my speed limits my movement, so a little more drag, makes it easier to go slower and to still be able to fly the docks, etc.

Its the same with RW...just a fact of life with skydiving.

Well I wear them on every HALO jump I make seeing hows it's work related;) I have no issues with them on durability, they hold up pretty good. If you want to go a step further you can have some heavy duty velcro sewn on the bottom of the pant legs so you can close them up like a normal FF pant leg.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

This is what I wear and they work great!

Kind of off topic - but I have to ask...

So, how many jumps does your dog have (the one in the pic?)

I have a dog, and he loves riding in the car with his head in the wind - floating on lakes in intertubes, and when he was a pup he climbed multiple Moab climbing routes that were way to difficult for my sorry ass... But, skydiving is something I can't imagine him enjoying. Does the dog enjoy it?

EDIT - I found the thread in Bonfire talking about this... Seems the dog did have fun. ;-)

BDU's work fine as freefly pants. You may want to tack the cargo pockets down or at least add velcro to the flap (and leave the buttons on as well), plus you will probably want to secure the bottoms to your shoes (so they don't fly up when you sitfly) with either the cinch ties already on them. I think Aggie Dave used to use them quite a bit. They are functional and plenty stylish, so long as you are not on or near a military base.

They are functional and plenty stylish, so long as you are not on or near a military base.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do BDUs stop being functional and/or stylish if you are on or near a military base? Do they become ordinary at that point?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do BDUs stop being functional and/or stylish if you are on or near a military base? Do they become ordinary at that point?

Sort of. BDUs are apart of the military's uniform. Lame kneed civilians like myself haven't earned the right to wear them, so out of respect near military bases its wise not to wear them.

BDUs are just clothes dude... lighten up. I wouldn't have cared if I saw some civilian wearing BDU or DCU pants when I was in the Army and I certainly wouldn't now.

Now if you were wearing the same pants with some antiestablishment slurs on your shirt at the same time, we might have a few words. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

BDUs are just clothes dude... lighten up. I wouldn't have cared if I saw some civilian wearing BDU or DCU pants when I was in the Army and I certainly wouldn't now.

That's how I think as well. I was repeating what was told to me by a couple of rangers a few years ago.;)

That's not it at all. I could care less if some civilian wants to walk around or skydive in BDU's. They are great for hunting and aren't uncomfortable, at least not the lightweight ones.

What I am saying is that they are absolutely not stylish around a bunch of people who have to wear them on a daily basis. Any Joe who would wear them on my dropzone would get laughed at. We, as a rule, try to get as far away from "military" as we can on our off time. If they were doing so because they were broke, then I can promise you someone would hook them up with a pair of leftover freefly pants or a jumpsuit.

I have a purple pair that I use while sending my FF suit back and forth to get a good fit. They work really well and I don't even have a problem with the ties at the bottom coming undone because I tuck them under, but I don't find them all that comfy for just casual wearing....they are obviously made to fit a guy.[:/]

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I never said they were "real" as in Army issue. I'm sure there are tons of not "real" BDU pants out there and lots of people wear them. The question wasn't if they were real but if you wore them.:P

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.