format

DZ sacrilege

So... the other day, this guy called me asking for input on how safely to disconnect his RSL.
As a matter of fact, his private issues aren't so private anymore, therefore I tend to believe he's in for a suicide (no AAD also).

Inglorious bastard as I am, a plan is to wait for a DZ meet, disclose his intentions (in my opinion) and then watch what happens.

Any subtle suggestion?

think about it for twelve minutes
If there's anything unsettling to the stomach, it's watching actors on television talk about their personal lives. - Marlon Brando

Just because the guy asked how to disconnect his RSL?

There are legitimate reasons for not having an RSL connected just as there are times when it might be in your best interest to switch off your AAD.

Have a better reason to confront him on the concept of suicide? Fine. Confront him. If not, find out what his reasoning is for wanting to disconnect it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

For the sake of sharing ideas, try to believe it is true concern of mine.
Of coarse I've informed the right folks about it but I am sharing this as it may happen to anybody, anywhere and I'm not deaf to alternative suggestion.

Yes, internet forum should be the last place for seeking especially this kind of advice.
Nevertheless I'm still doing it.
What goes around, comes later.

What if he goes to a different dz?

When I confront him to all of us around, I guess he won't be allowed to jump without AAD and the word will spread. I never said he's a friend of mine.

Going in accidentally - it's O.K.
but intentionally - exactly the opposite, I hate those people. That's sacrilege.

What if he goes to a different dz?

When I confront him to all of us around, I guess he won't be allowed to jump without AAD and the word will spread. I never said he's a friend of mine.

Going in accidentally - it's O.K.
but intentionally - exactly the opposite, I hate those people. That's sacrilege.

Hate's a pretty strong word when a little bit of compassion could go a long way here for someone who is (apparently) troubled/sick enough to be considering taking his own life.

So the DZ (or DZs) say "you can't jump without an AAD." Fine, he leaves it in and turns it off. They say "you need an RSL." Fine, he disconnects it on jump run.

If, as you seem to believe, this guy wants to commit suicide by skydiving, you'd probably have much better results getting him some help than trying to "attack" the methods you suspect he'll use.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For the sake of sharing ideas, try to believe it is true concern of mine.
Of coarse I've informed the right folks about it but I am sharing this as it may happen to anybody, anywhere and I'm not deaf to alternative suggestion.

If someone is in crisis they will find a way. I've had to deal with the before, during and aftermath of similar (although not skydiving) situations, more than a few times. It sucks for everyone.

In Texas I would tell you to call the crisis hotline and explain the situation to them for direction and advice to help this person. In your state I can only assume something similar exists.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No, no, I won't bother you all, with what I did and how much time we all spent trying to help. (approx. a lot of)

But using DZ? No way with me around.

edit: and my sig line is, as always, exactly appropriate

I don't have an AAD or use an RSL, doesn't mean I'm trying to kill myself. :S

What's got ME scratchin' my head is how exactly having an operational RSL precludes one from committing suicide? :D

Lose the AAD & no-pull...or just take the rig OFF in freefall - it's been done before.

Hopefully it's nothing...IF you have real concerns why wait?

On the off chance this guy really wants to make his mark on the world by bringing negative attention to 'our thing'... do everybody a favor and road block THAT bullshit.

Unfortunately, if somebody is motivated enough to see it through - they can probably find a way to 'go in' no matter what you try to do.

If you find yourself in that situation where you did what you could, but they got what they wanted...always remember ~

First one to the crater gets all the good stuff.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Do you really think that a person looking to suicide would ask for a safe way to disconnect their RSL. With no AAD, all you would have to do is not pull! Maybe he was interested in a bit of CReW work on the next jump with a mate. People like you with no compassion for fellow human being that is struggling with depression only add to their feelings of being alone in the world with nobody to care. Instead of being worried about whether your dropzone may come under investigation from a suicide jumper, how about you worry that a fellow jumper MAY be feeling so low that he COULD end it all and do something by TALKING to him. Who knows, you MAY just save a life AND prevent your precious DZ from an investigation at the same time. [:/]

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

I'm confused. How did he get through ground school without learning how to disconnect the RSL, and why does it matter? If the AAD is not on (or not present) just don't throw the pilot and you burn in. RSL is immaterial.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Hi Mr T

Second time I heard that one:ph34r:

Rather than go crater divng for gear I would prefer the gear bag thats left in packing area or the last car in the parking lot at the end of the day.

R
One Jump Wonder

Do you really think that a person looking to suicide would ask for a safe way to disconnect their RSL.

It happens quite often that suicides give clues that are not recognized as such.

Format, knowing the guys private side, may have just picked up on a real clue.

You guys can offer limitless suggestions on "what I would do" but you are not there...format is. Regardless of your "Take" on the situation format IS concerned...about both him and the sport.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi Mr T

Rather than go crater divng for gear I would prefer the gear bag thats left in packing area or the last car in the parking lot at the end of the day.

R

Think ~ wallet, watch, car keys...gold fillings...>:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Mr T

R

You forgot rings and earlobe studs. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Mr T

R

You forgot rings and earlobe studs. :P

I think all the good stuff is back in the gear bag, and waaayyy easier to get!

Jump more, post less!

Do you really think that a person looking to suicide would ask for a safe way to disconnect their RSL.

It happens quite often that suicides give clues that are not recognized as such.

You guys can offer limitless suggestions on "what I would do" but you are not there...format is. Regardless of your "Take" on the situation format IS concerned...about both him and the sport.

Which all begs the question: What is the purpose of all this?

Which all begs the question: What is the purpose of all this?

Purpose?

Man, you're on Dizzy dot com! There IS no purpose here!

The main purpose of dz.com is to prevent people with less than 200 jumps from using go-pros.