DarkDesigner

Packing

First of all, excuse me to start another thread regarding to this subject, but I couldn't find a recent one.

First let me explain the situation: Last sunday I got my gear back from the first repack, completely without a packed chute. This seemed to be a nice opportunity to try to pack the damn thing for the first time by myself. Today I started trying, and packed from 7 till 10, and I still could't get it done.. My problem is the second S-fold. The first one is no problem anymore, it even looks kinda decent, but when I have to make the second one, it all looks like one huge piece of fabric, and of course I'm not able to get the damn thing in the bag. Does anyone of you maybe have some tips from me to prevent me lighting the whole damn thing? (And now I'm not talking about putting all lighters/candles/anything that burns away from me ;) ). I used mostly the technique of PD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiAegc8EOw

I really hope you guys could help me out a bit..

Try like this.

1. Do a normal packjob up until you have it cocooned.
2. Make the LARGER S-fold only and put it in the D-bag. Ensure you maintain control of the lines & slider while you do this.
3. While keeping the slider in place and the tail wrapped around the lines, make the second (smaller) s-fold inside the d-bag.
4. Close d-bag as usual.

There are threads with links to pictures of this but if you can't be bothered to search for them, neither can I.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Interesting! I'd never thought of that method.

The dude who taught me to pack always told me to imagine I was choking an ex-girlfriend who cheated on me, lol, getting a firm hold on the "top" of the canopy before folding it back.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

Try like this.

2. Make the LARGER S-fold only and put it in the D-bag. Ensure you maintain control of the lines & slider while you do this.
3. While keeping the slider in place and the tail wrapped around the lines, make the second (smaller) s-fold inside the d-bag.
4. Close d-bag as usual.

There are threads with links to pictures of this but if you can't be bothered to search for them, neither can I.

I do the same thing

there are a few videos on youtube that demonstrate this technique.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Make your first s-fold, then find a way to secure it. You can put a knee on top of it, but be sure that your knee is centered, pushing straight down, and only pushing down hard enough to hold it in place (don't 'sit' on the canopy, support your weight on your other knee).

Either way, before you make the second s-fold, 'dress' the remaining portion of the canopy one more time. What I mean is, push out all of the air, size it to the same width as the D-bag, and get it all flattened out before you try to make the s-fold.

The idea is that while you are making the first s-fold, and working with the bottom part of the canopy, the top part is taking on air and spreading itself back out. If you go to fold it right away, you're folding something that's not the right size or shape to give you a final bundle that will fit in the d-bag. So rework the top part before you fold, and the bundle should be closer to what you want.

Speaking of the bundle, remember to size the canopy to the width of the d-bag before making any folds. It will expand a little as you work with it, but that's what you want. If you can get the final bundle to be an inch bigger then the d-bag all around, once you squeeze it in there, it will fill the bag completely and evenly.

If you size the canopy smaller than the d-bag before you fold it, your final bundle will be narrow and tall compared to the d-bag. Now you're trying to fit a square-ish bundle into a more rectangular bag. The corners will be soft (or empty) and it wll be hard to close the flap.

DocPop is wise in the ways of packing!
He taught me and this technique works well.
Take your time and relax while packing - when you get stressed about it, the canopy will too!

Also, try talking your way through it. I discovered when I was showing someone else what I was doing and talking through it, it worked better!!

Here us a thread I started a little while back about packing. I got a lot of good tips from other jumpers on packing techniques.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3994829;page=unread#unread
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

The problem here is one of fabric control. I lay flat on my stomach on my cocooned canopy and do the three S folds while I keep on laying on it.
Here is the way :
1) I fold one third of the length (the top) under the middle third
2) I fold the second third (middle) + the top part (which is under) together above the last third near the lines (note that the first third of the top is now above)
3) I have now the three folds, I start putting the folded canopy in one corner of the Dbag then the other corner and finally I clean the middle of the folded canopy into the Dbag. And for this step I am still laying on the folded canopy
4) I finally get on my knees while keeping pressure on the middle of the mouth of the Dbag. Now the Dbag mouth is up and I make a little S fold with the part of the canopy near the lines and stuff it in the Dbag

Note 1: comb the lines up at step 4) to make sure the slider grommets are still against their stoppers.

note 2: All the time, I stay laying on the fabric and between each step I clean the fabric with hands on the sides in order to get nice folds. Of course, I have to backup my body at each step.
This is the way I teach beginners to do it. It's a very good way to keep the folds in good order. If you get tired just relax the time needed. The folded fabric is held in place with your own weight.
Later on with experience the packer will find his own tricks.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Try like this.

4. Close d-bag as usual.

Great advice. That's how I always pack. That's how we used to fit those round parachutes into the bag, one S-fold at a time. B|

Thanks everybody for the tips. I really hope that I can get it done whit this, because it really drove me crazy last tuesday;).

Another thing I wanted to know: Isn't it damaging for the canopy material to keep packing it, without getting it in the bag?

Yes, it does damage the material, regardless of if you bag it or not.

However, with ZP... you can pack that puppy as much as you want, and you're probably not going to do any significant damage (packing on carpet anyways)

Think as if you're jumping it, you land and repack... same thing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Try like this.

4. Close d-bag as usual.

Great advice. That's how I always pack. That's how we used to fit those round parachutes into the bag, one S-fold at a time. B|

That's also the way I do it, and for the same reason. Having said that, the first time somebody showed me how to psycho pack, it was like a message from The Burning Bush.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody flat pack anymore? It's the only way I know how!

It's the way I started all those years ago.... nothing to be ashamed of

there are still some of us old timers, that flat pack. (I now pro pack)

some canopies can still be packed this way, I know that PD makes comment to which ones lend themselves to this and some not.

FWIW: I never had any sort of malfunction flat packing.

oh, and they were always F111, I never flat packed a ZP
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Just out of curiosity, does anybody flat pack anymore? It's the only way I know how!

We are even, because I don't know how to flat pack. I'd learn if it didn't take more room in the packing area, and I am used to pro packing in a crowded area. If it was easier, or offered better openings, I'd have tried it, but I don't think it matters much.
We should both learn new ways, probably.
But what do I know?

I'm sure I will once I actually start jumping again.

Actually I may be hitching a ride to Skydive San Marcos and making some currency jumps in the next few weeks. It's not that I'll stay current after that but I just can't stand talking about it and not doing it. It'll be another two years before I can really come back steady.
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

I believe most reserves are flat packed,,,,,,,

Not really. More of a "Pro-pack on the floor" than a true "flat-pack".

At least that's what I was taught to do.
Look in the FAA manual if you really want to see what it looks like.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo