noahgordon

tempo 170 and using a reserve as a main?

i was wondering if a tempo 170 is a good reserve, is $500 a good deal for one?
also i was told you can use a reserve as a main, but then never as a reserve again, true right? sounds like something i might do any suggestions?

what's up, if there are no rides on the reserve then yes it is a good deal, if it does have rides, it's still not a bad deal, just not as good.

i jump tempo reserve, and they are great reserves. they don't have as much lift as a pd or a smart, but they have plenty, and get you down just fine. i've got 1 ride on a tempo 170 and one on a tempo 150.

as far as being used as a main, yes it can be done, and put back as a reserve. as long as a rigger deams it airworthy for a reserve. i think precision recomends you put a jump on your reserve before you have to use it.

but your going to have a problem using a tempo as a main a lot because there is no attachment point on the top.

later

thanks! i just read that the tempos have turn built in? wtf? i don't know about that! lol! but yea i wasn't talking about using the tempo as a main, just reserves in general, i see a lot on the classifieds that look like they would be a good first main. the rig i have now is a fury 220, w/ about 500 jumps on it, i have yet to jump it but people keep scaring me! ahhh!

In the FAR's, (para phrased) you may use your reserve as a Main once, then placed back as a reserve (for a test jump to ensure brake setting and to have experience under the parachute). Any jump (other than as a reserve ride) beyond 1 makes the reserve a main only canopy.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

In the FAR's, (para phrased) you may use your reserve as a Main once, then placed back as a reserve (for a test jump to ensure brake setting and to have experience under the parachute). Any jump (other than as a reserve ride) beyond 1 makes the reserve a main only canopy.

Matt

Where in the FAR's did you find this? I can't find anything in Part 105, Part 65 or any other part that addresses jumping a reserve makes it anything other then a jumped reserve. I believe it the rigger that makes the decision on what is airworthy or not.

I thing Precision says something like that in their manual.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Where in the FAR's did you find this? I can't find anything in Part 105, Part 65 or any other part that addresses jumping a reserve makes it anything other then a jumped reserve. I believe it the rigger that makes the decision on what is airworthy or not.

that's what i've always have been told.

if someone doesn't put something up tonight, i'll grab my far book from school tomorrow and see if i can find anything.

later

I don't believe you'll find it. Precision, when they came out with the Raven and Falcon that were used as both mains and reserve, allowed one test jump on a canopy as a main and still allowed it to be used as a reserve. If it had more jumps it couldn't be used as a reserve. . i.e. a Raven with a 100 or 200 jumps couldn't be put in a reserve container. This standard became propogated by word of mouth as referring to all reserves This would, debatably, have the force of the FAR's because they do require you to follow the manufacturer's instructions. I say debatable because various inspectors may interpret this provision as enforcable or not. Most riggers I know would abide by it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I looked closely at FAA AC 105-2c, which is at USPA web site and it most certainly does NOT state anything like what Matt asserts. I may be a dumbass though, so everyone please look at it yourself and let me know different. If anyone can give concrete information to support the notion that matt alleges I'd love to see clear evidence, e.g., a specific citation in an FAA document that carries some weight, such as the FARs, or even an advisory circular.

None of this is to say that I'd want to put a bunch of jumps on a reserve used as a main and then use it as a reserve!

jeff

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

To answer your question...

I used to have a Tempo, and I put one jump on it. It performed its intended job, so from my limited experience they work just fine.

Is $500 a fair price? Likely... Depends on how old it is, and how many times its been used. If it's a recent model - about two or three years old, and has no more than 2 or 3 jumps on it? Sounds good to me!

I don't use one anymore, I gave it to my wife. Yes, I love my wife very much.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

i was wondering if a tempo 170 is a good reserve, is $500 a good deal for one?

Other reserves (like PD) are constructed with more reinforcement (span-wise tapes). Is this important to you? Consider the possibility of a Cypres-initiated deployment at high speeds and density altitude. I saw an AFF instructor land unconscious with his reserve (not a Tempo) split into 2 and 5 cells connected by a single reinforcing tape following a CYPRES fire when he was knocked out. His injuries would have been less severe under a reserve with better reinforcement.

Other reserves (like PD) seem to land better. While this doesn't matter at low wing loadings it becomes increasingly relevant with more weight.

I wouldn't take the trouble to replace a Tempo I own with something else, but would buy a PD or Smart (haven't demoed one yet or looked at it) instead.

Other reserves (like PD) are constructed with more reinforcement (span-wise tapes). Is this important to you? Consider the possibility of a Cypres-initiated deployment at high speeds and density altitude. I saw an AFF instructor land unconscious with his reserve (not a Tempo) split into 2 and 5 cells connected by a single reinforcing tape following a CYPRES fire when he was knocked out. His injuries would have been less severe under a reserve with better reinforcement.

Tempo's have had spanwise reinforcement since 2001.

However, you'll get no argument from me that the PD is a better landing reserve. I've had rides on both it and a Tempo. I trust my Tempo, but will be replacing it with a PD this winter.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My Tempo saved my life. It did not do it with style, however.

When it is time to go to your reserve you are no longer sport parachuting. You are trying to save your life. There are no points awarded for style, only for survival.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

oh... so then you don't think i should get it? even w/ out the tapes, it is still safe no? i mean i am not going to be doing any free flying w/ this rig,

It should be safe somewhat beyond the placarded maximums.

The problem is that you can't guarantee you won't exceed them by more. While you may not do any _intentional_ head-down people who get knocked out can plumet to the earth in a high-speed head-down orientation.

I'd spend the extra money and get a PD. Or find a newer Tempo with the tapes - there's one in the classifieds built in 2003 that's new for just $550.

Before using a reserve as a main , think No PC attatchment point
Line lengths.

So you jump a reserve as a main what the hell are you using as a reserve
IE:- reserve/main line length = X reserve line length = X

Ok just don't have two out.

Gone fishing

that's assuming the same size and model of reserves.

If i were to go test jump the reserve i just got it'd be in a rig with a larger reserve. YMMV.

as for bridle attachment, have someon who knows what they doing IAD you out the door and keep hold of the bridle.... or learn to spot.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time