JerryBaumchen

Recycled shower water

"So why, asked Swedish industrial designer Mehrdad Mahdjoubi, do we not do the same on Earth?"

Uh . . . because rain is free?

Probably the best thing on earth would be to collect the shower water, purify it to standards that are suitable for garden use (pretty damn low) and then use that for watering plants and flushing toilets.

For example:
http://extension.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/recycling-gray-water-home-gardens
In this example, there isn't any filtering even involved, but does require keeping tabs on its effects on your garden (build up of salts and chemicals).

I have friends who live in San Francisco and they've done this sort of thing during periods of drought to keep all their plants going and still feel good about their water bill.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't know...

Do you think you could get your kids into one of these things after you told them you pee in the shower?:)

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>collect the shower water, purify it to standards that are suitable for garden use
>(pretty damn low) and then use that for watering plants and flushing toilets.

That's what we do. Shower/bath/washing machine water goes to the garden. No filtering needed other than a screen; plants seem to like it. Since our irrigation usage exceeds our interior usage there would be no benefit in recycling interior water.

billvon

>collect the shower water, purify it to standards that are suitable for garden use

That's what we do. Shower/bath/washing machine water goes to the garden. No filtering needed other than a screen; plants seem to like it. Since our irrigation usage exceeds our interior usage there would be no benefit in recycling interior water.

Don't you have to be a little careful about various salts building up in the soil? I'm not saying it's huge in each individual instance, but over time. This is why I assumed at least a minimal filtering of some sort.
quade -

jumpwally

i would think some kind of filter for the soap/chemical residue would be needed.....

Well, the soaps could/should be biodegradable. I don't think that's a long term issue even if everything is repeatedly dumped in the exact same spot on the ground. Eventually that would take care of itself.

And maybe that's also bill's solution (pun) to the salts issue, as long as it's spread out across the property it wouldn't build up significantly enough to worry about.
quade -

>Don't you have to be a little careful about various salts building up in the soil?

Yes, but that's true whether you use recycled water or "fresh" water. 99% of the salts in our soils come from the minerals already in the water rather than any salts we add.

I didn't see the cost anywhere but my gut (as a mechanical engineer in the building industry) is that it's a gimmick for wealthy people with environmental/western guilt. I do think it's an interesting concept to reheat the water, that's a very valid point. Overall there are better ways of conserving water and energy.

I don't like things like this because on such a small scale their inefficiency and imbued energy eclipses any positive global impact. You'll do much more with low-flow fixtures and shorter showers.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Hi DJL,

You'll do much more with low-flow fixtures and shorter showers.

I agree. However, the problem with that is not what people want. Quite simply, people prefer hi-flow, long showers.

I have adjustable flow devices on both of my showers, and I use them. But, I still prefer a hi-flow, long shower.

This device overcomes that waste of water.

Different strokes for different folks. Or as Manley Butler once said, "If the monkeys want peanuts, then give them peanuts. Not what you think they should eat."

;)

JerryBaumchen

Oh believe me, I'm happy to let people buy $200k cars that run on electricity, whole house hepa-filtration systems, solar panels up the ass, whatever... It still amuses me when people throw $100 dollars at a 50-cent problem.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

billvon

I couldn't get away with releasing grey water where I live now, but it's ok to have horse or cow poop making its way into the ecosystem.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

rickjump1

***>collect the shower water, purify it to standards that are suitable for garden use

I couldn't get away with releasing grey water where I live now, but it's ok to have horse or cow poop making its way into the ecosystem.

I know of a couple of folks who use their human waste to fertilize their vegetable garden!

Chuck

billvon

>I know of a couple of folks who use their human waste to fertilize their vegetable garden!

That actually works pretty well provided:

1) it's composted well enough to kill the pathogens
2) no one is taking oral drugs

A couple years ago, I saw a '60-Minutes' story about produce grown in Mexico using human waste for fertilizer. What the program showed, the waste material was not composted or treated in any way.

Chuck

quade

***A couple years ago, I saw a '60-Minutes' story about produce grown in Mexico using human waste for fertilizer. What the program showed, the waste material was not composted or treated in any way.

If untreated, it's a horrible idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_soil

You got that right!

I'm kinda lucky... having a horse and all. I have a ready supply of manure.

Chuck

There was an old polish couple that lived in my neighborhood that my brothers and I always helped out as kids. We always thought they were weird prior to getting to know them, helping them in their old age.

They'd always be seen washing their dishes outside from rain water collected in drums from their rain gutters. Later to see their rain collection system in the back of their home too that they'd use to fill up their toilet upper with.

As I got to know them from helping them I found out they were both holocaust survivors that had met towards the end of the war in a death march. If they were caught eating snow (to stay hydrated) during the march, the "guilty if this crime" and others that were behind them were shot in the head as an example. They had found a piece of rubber along the march which they fashioned into pouch. Collecting snow when they could, putting it in the pouch and using their body heat to melt the snow to drink water.

Water was and still was until they passed away the most precious thing to them. They taught me to drizzle water over my hands as I washed them instead of running the faucet full on (works well and saves a lot of water). They'd only let me wash their car when it was raining out and to this day, unless I'm going to polish and wax my car, I'm out there in the rain washing my car. If I don't finish my glass of water, the rest goes in the dog bowl. Showers are quick and at low pressure, not full blast, just like washing my hands routine.

Point is you don't need a fancy machine to save water, just a change in daily habits. Two amazing people that let me into their lives of horror and appreciation for the simplest of things changed the way I'll always view water and life.

Water is life, don't waste it, even if you can afford to.

Hi J-S,

you don't need a fancy machine to save water

Nice story. We are a product of our experiences.

I know a fellow engineer who was born in Berlin in 1944. His father was an SS officer who went to Brazil as the war was winding down. He never did send for his wife & son ( the engineer I know ). Things were very bad in Berlin after the war, and they lived with my friend's maternal grandparents. Saturday night was bath night. They ran a tub full of hot water; grandpa got in & bathed first, then grandma took her turn, then the guy I know took his turn. It was the same tubfull of water.

And I agree with this:

Water is life, don't waste it, even if you can afford to.

You could not be more correct.

JerryBaumchen