promise5

Christmas cookies

StoppieJoe

***************Yesterday I made gingersnaps, lemon spritz, and my grandmother's white cookies (so buttery they ooze butter while cooking). I still have fruitcake cookies and chocolate chip in the refrigerator to cut and cook, and will finish off with Chinese chews and oatmeal cookies :)
Wendy P.

:o:o:o:o:o:o
Can I come over to your house?
:):):):):):):)

I'm hiding in the bushes already - you will have to wait your turn.

Who says im not right next to you already? :D

My Stalk-Fu is too strong!:D
My Assassins creed is stronger..... Seriously, Been playing AC3 for 3 hours straight already.... :S

Amateurs. While you two were out in the bushes, I was under the cabinet. All I had to do was reach out and up to the counter when she wasn't looking. It was even comfy for taking a nap when my belly was full. Bounty makes a nice pillow.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

promise5

That's one thing we don't make is gingerbread. I don't I've ever even tasted homemade gingerbread. If it tastes anything like the stuff they use for the houses it's nasty. :|

Thats the thing. When you make them yourself you get to decide what you put into them and therefore what they taste like.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Yep. I used to make gingerbread, as well as gingerbread sheets for houses (it was a family tradition before the offspring got too cool :D. Home-made gingerbread, whether with applesauce or whipped cream (or nothing), is great.

And Arvoitus -- do you like the result? Then it's just right. And remember that spices wear out (so they say), so using them is good.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

davjohns

******************Yesterday I made gingersnaps, lemon spritz, and my grandmother's white cookies (so buttery they ooze butter while cooking). I still have fruitcake cookies and chocolate chip in the refrigerator to cut and cook, and will finish off with Chinese chews and oatmeal cookies :)
Wendy P.

My Assassins creed is stronger..... Seriously, Been playing AC3 for 3 hours straight already.... :S

Amateurs. While you two were out in the bushes, I was under the cabinet. All I had to do was reach out and up to the counter when she wasn't looking. It was even comfy for taking a nap when my belly was full. Bounty makes a nice pillow.

I thought I caught something out of the corner of my eye after I replaced the cookies with store bought ones.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Arvoitus

***That's one thing we don't make is gingerbread. I don't I've ever even tasted homemade gingerbread. If it tastes anything like the stuff they use for the houses it's nasty. :|

Thats the thing. When you make them yourself you get to decide what you put into them and therefore what they taste like.

Do you have a recipe? I'm willing to give it a try. I'm baking this Saturday.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

grue

FUCK THIS THREAD >:(

Almost done with my diet… another couple of months and I'll be happy with myself. Hopefully.

So what happens when the diet is done. you revert back to your fat bastard ways:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

LuckyMcSwervy

You obviously have good willpower or you wouldn't have come so far. I saw what you wrote on the other thread. That takes discipline! :)

B|:D

Squeak

So what happens when the diet is done. you revert back to your fat bastard ways:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Nah I took about a month off of the diet part and just stayed where I was, weight-wise.

promise5

Sorry !![:/]

Haha I knew what I was in for when I clicked
cavete terrae.

turtlespeed

*********************Yesterday I made gingersnaps, lemon spritz, and my grandmother's white cookies (so buttery they ooze butter while cooking). I still have fruitcake cookies and chocolate chip in the refrigerator to cut and cook, and will finish off with Chinese chews and oatmeal cookies :)
Wendy P.

I thought I caught something out of the corner of my eye after I replaced the cookies with store bought ones.

That was you? Sorry about copping a feel. Thought you were Wendy. :D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Turtle, you can have one beater; Davjohn gets the other. StoppieJoe gets the spoon

and I get what's left in the bowl :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

And Arvoitus -- do you like the result? Then it's just right. And remember that spices wear out (so they say), so using them is good.

Wendy P.

I'm varying between 'too mild' and 'pretty decent'. The biggest problem is the amount of spices I use and the need to have all of them come out when some of the are so dominating that others just kind of are left in the background.

promise5

******That's one thing we don't make is gingerbread. I don't I've ever even tasted homemade gingerbread. If it tastes anything like the stuff they use for the houses it's nasty. :|

The current way I make them is about like so,

Ingredients:

150 ml dark syrup
130 g brown sugar
200 g butter
2 eggs
500 ml (or about 400g) flour
1,5 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1,5 teaspoon salt

spices:
1,5 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cloves
2 teaspoon of ginger
0,5 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of cardamom
0,5 teaspoon of bitter orange
0,5 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (which I make myself)

Steps,

1. Mix all 7 dry spices in a cup
2. Put the syrup, sugar and spices into a pan, heat them and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract (I make into a strong alcohol and adding it to the hot sugar/syrup will boil the alchol).
3. Put the room temperature butter into a mixer and mix into soft mix.
4. Let the sugar/syrup solution cool and add it carefully into the butter while mixing. Its usually still so warm that the butter melts slightly.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, while mixing well.
6. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder well in a separate container.
7. Add the flour in two parts into the mix, only mixing enough to incorporate the flour into the rest of the mixture.

Once its all combined place the dough into a container and cover with plastic wrap and let set in refrigerator over night. I usually let it sit for 24hrs.

Next day when making the cookies, keep the dough in the fridge and only take as much of the dough as you need. Use enough flour to prevent the dough from sticking to surface as you flatten it. Make the cookies thin, I usually try to make them about 3-4 mm thick. Then cook them at ~175ºC for about 8 minutes. At this thickness the dough produces about 110-120 cookies (the number really depens on how much dough you end up eating while cooking :)
But really you need to try out what amount of the spices is good for you, I'd say the first 3 (cinnamon, cloves and ginger) are mandatory and the rest are optional depending on if you want to use them or not. Also the thickness of the cookies depends on what kind cookies you want and obviously the cooking time depends on the thickness and on what kind of your oven is.

Also once they're cooked you can cool them quickly and they're eatable straight away, put personally I think they're too sweet if you eat them right away. Usually they taste better if you let them mature for a day or two in some cool and dry place. It might be tricky tough since the smell is fairly strong and it might be tempting to eat them straight away but they really taste better after few days.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

wmw999

Turtle, you can have one beater; Davjohn gets the other. StoppieJoe gets the spoon

and I get what's left in the bowl :)
Wendy P.

[raises eyebrows] hmmmmmm:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Arvoitus

Wendy P.

I'm varying between 'too mild' and 'pretty decent'. The biggest problem is the amount of spices I use and the need to have all of them come out when some of the are so dominating that others just kind of are left in the background.

promise5

******That's one thing we don't make is gingerbread. I don't I've ever even tasted homemade gingerbread. If it tastes anything like the stuff they use for the houses it's nasty. :|

The current way I make them is about like so,

Ingredients:

150 ml dark syrup
130 g brown sugar
200 g butter
2 eggs
500 ml (or about 400g) flour
1,5 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1,5 teaspoon salt

spices:
1,5 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cloves
2 teaspoon of ginger
0,5 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of cardamom
0,5 teaspoon of bitter orange
0,5 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (which I make myself)

Steps,

1. Mix all 7 dry spices in a cup
2. Put the syrup, sugar and spices into a pan, heat them and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract (I make into a strong alcohol and adding it to the hot sugar/syrup will boil the alchol).
3. Put the room temperature butter into a mixer and mix into soft mix.
4. Let the sugar/syrup solution cool and add it carefully into the butter while mixing. Its usually still so warm that the butter melts slightly.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, while mixing well.
6. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder well in a separate container.
7. Add the flour in two parts into the mix, only mixing enough to incorporate the flour into the rest of the mixture.

Once its all combined place the dough into a container and cover with plastic wrap and let set in refrigerator over night. I usually let it sit for 24hrs.

Next day when making the cookies, keep the dough in the fridge and only take as much of the dough as you need. Use enough flour to prevent the dough from sticking to surface as you flatten it. Make the cookies thin, I usually try to make them about 3-4 mm thick. Then cook them at ~175ºC for about 8 minutes. At this thickness the dough produces about 110-120 cookies (the number really depens on how much dough you end up eating while cooking :)
But really you need to try out what amount of the spices is good for you, I'd say the first 3 (cinnamon, cloves and ginger) are mandatory and the rest are optional depending on if you want to use them or not. Also the thickness of the cookies depends on what kind cookies you want and obviously the cooking time depends on the thickness and on what kind of your oven is.

Also once they're cooked you can cool them quickly and they're eatable straight away, put personally I think they're too sweet if you eat them right away. Usually they taste better if you let them mature for a day or two in some cool and dry place. It might be tricky tough since the smell is fairly strong and it might be tempting to eat them straight away but they really taste better after few days.

Thanks!! Going to give it a try!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Mach1dmb

Am I the only one who doesn't like cookies or desserts in general?

I was just never really into them. I will occasionally eat chocolate chip cookies or ice cream, but other than that...Oh, but I am that guy that picks the crust off all the pies.

OMG... you're so lucky!! I wish I could be like that!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

Mach1dmb

Am I the only one who doesn't like cookies or desserts in general?

I was just never really into them. I will occasionally eat chocolate chip cookies or ice cream, but other than that...Oh, but I am that guy that picks the crust off all the pies.

No, you are not.
I avoid anything loaded with sugar like the plague it is.
I have a hot chocolate with breakfast every morning, but I make it with unsweetened baking chocolate.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.