CanuckInUSA

Black Bear Encouter

CanuckInUSA

Two joggers in Alberta had a close encounter with a Black Bear recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlB0FqQ0DlQ

Remember you don't need to out run the bear, just as long as you can out run your buddy.

Looked like a young bear.. still had that predilection to climb something.. and that far north I wonder how long out of hibernation and not all that much food round.

CanuckInUSA

Two joggers in Alberta had a close encounter with a Black Bear recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlB0FqQ0DlQ

Remember you don't need to out run the bear, just as long as you can out run your buddy.

He looks tasty.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Had gotten off the highway to do some photography a couple weeks ago. After shooting some pics I thought I'd take a leak before continuing the drive. Just minding my own biddness and a grizzly stood up about 15' in front of me. Nice bear, easy bear. It was a L O N G 30' to my truck.
SmugMug

akjmpplt

Had gotten off the highway to do some photography a couple weeks ago. After shooting some pics I thought I'd take a leak before continuing the drive. Just minding my own biddness and a grizzly stood up about 15' in front of me. Nice bear, easy bear. It was a L O N G 30' to my truck.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was when I was just 5 years old and we were taking a trip to the mountains. My mother was taking pictures of these two cute little black bear cubs in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Unfortunately for mom she managed to get herself between mama bear and the cute little cuddly cubs. I have never in my life seen my mother move faster to get away from mama bear as she charged to get back to her babies.B|

He does look young and small, although I met some females that were that size and had cubs. Family breakups can happen around this time of the year and he may have been last year's cub. I kinda wonder if he was used to people since he followed them but did not look aggressive. But, hey, I love bears and a lot of my vacations are spent with them.

cgriff

***I almost ran into one on the motorcycle here in Virginia today....

Impressive... Not many bears ride these days

Have you seen a bear biker contingent at Sturgis????? I am SOOO not going to do a search for those pictures while at work:ph34r::ph34r:

Amazon

***Had gotten off the highway to do some photography a couple weeks ago. After shooting some pics I thought I'd take a leak before continuing the drive. Just minding my own biddness and a grizzly stood up about 15' in front of me. Nice bear, easy bear. It was a L O N G 30' to my truck.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was when I was just 5 years old and we were taking a trip to the mountains. My mother was taking pictures of these two cute little black bear cubs in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Unfortunately for mom she managed to get herself between mama bear and the cute little cuddly cubs. I have never in my life seen my mother move faster to get away from mama bear as she charged to get back to her babies.B|

Friend of mine was driving through the woods and saw this baby black bear just meandering next to the road. He stopped and wanted to touch the baby. But when he got close enough to startle the baby, it yowled. A second later he heard a blood-curdling roar from its mom. Hightailed it back to his truck as fast as he could. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That bear was trying to play and was curious, nothing more. There's probably some idiot feeding it Luna bars and causing it to lose fear of people. Remember, Black Bears are not Grizzly Bears, much different behavior. Black Bears behavior is more like running into a dog, most are scared, some will try to eat your garbage.

I've run into many bears hiking and camping alone in Virginia. All of them ran away, even the big boys, even the mother with cubs. The best way to get a Black Bear to go away is to make noise and be aggressive towards it. This reinforces their fear of people and is better for their safety and our safety in the long run.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

That bear was trying to play and was curious, nothing more. There's probably some idiot feeding it Luna bars and causing it to lose fear of people. Remember, Black Bears are not Grizzly Bears, much different behavior. Black Bears behavior is more like running into a dog, most are scared, some will try to eat your garbage.

I've run into many bears hiking and camping alone in Virginia. All of them ran away, even the big boys, even the mother with cubs. The best way to get a Black Bear to go away is to make noise and be aggressive towards it. This reinforces their fear of people and is better for their safety and our safety in the long run.

Zactly... at least they did not try the "oh look he is so cute" and try to pet the damn thing...

Sorry but wild animals with large claws were not designed to be "cuddly"...

Fullmoon

He does look young and small, although I met some females that were that size and had cubs. Family breakups can happen around this time of the year and he may have been last year's cub. I kinda wonder if he was used to people since he followed them but did not look aggressive. But, hey, I love bears and a lot of my vacations are spent with them.

So did Timothy Treadwell.[:/]

His heart was in the right place. I spent a week where Timothy Treadwell was on Katmai and am going back this summer. It is nice to share their space with them and a very knowledgeable guide.

The bear in the video with the joggers is a black bear and they generally behave differently to stress than brown bears. I agree with DJL above. The black bear in my avatar laid down near me (I was with a bear biologist who the bear was comfortable with), it was shot with a ~50mm lens. Bears and humans have been living together for a long time, way longer than YouTube and the media have been around to only show the bad interactions.

DJL

When watching the video, I get the impression that the bear is trying to "get away" or climb a tree on several occassions. I am thinking that continuing to back away at this point triggered a predator/prey response by the bear, causing it to "charge" again.

From what I've encountered, if a black bear wants to get away from you it'll be nothing but a black blur crashing away through the brush. I nearly stepped on one about the size of this guy from the video when he walked out of the brush in front of me. He was gone before I knew I shit myself. The same was true with a momma and two cubs who came into camp smelling our failed attempt to burn away that night's bag of hot dogs. Momma didn't even wait for the kids when she saw me.

From what I've read, they've had nearly a million years of being a fatty plump treat on the food chain just below things like dire wolves, modern wolves, various types of brown bears, saber tooth cats and their response is purely flight. Mothers who try to fight a saber tooth cat don't make new babies.

When they do attack, they're doing it to kill and eat you. The advice is to fight back with whatever you can; playing dead will just make you an easy meal. The rate of deaths by attacks is about 1 per year.

Again, what I think of the video is that there's a jack-ass feeding it on his nature walks and this guy is sniffing around for treats.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

From what I've encountered, if a black bear wants to get away from you it'll be nothing but a black blur crashing away through the brush. I nearly stepped on one about the size of this guy from the video when he walked out of the brush in front of me. He was gone before I knew I shit myself. The same was true with a momma and two cubs who came into camp smelling our failed attempt to burn away that night's bag of hot dogs. Momma didn't even wait for the kids when she saw me.

From what I've read, they've had nearly a million years of being a fatty plump treat on the food chain just below things like dire wolves, modern wolves, various types of brown bears, saber tooth cats and their response is purely flight. Mothers who try to fight a saber tooth cat don't make new babies.

When they do attack, they're doing it to kill and eat you. The advice is to fight back with whatever you can; playing dead will just make you an easy meal. The rate of deaths by attacks is about 1 per year.

Again, what I think of the video is that there's a jack-ass feeding it on his nature walks and this guy is sniffing around for treats.

You said Dire Wolf . . . I went here . . .

It's YOUR fault! I was being good.

not that that wasn't good . . .

ugh

red.

and wolf . .

ugh
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DJL

I'm glad someone caught that. Hahaaa!!!

I have only one thing to say . . . Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr