yoink

Quick car advice - the handbrake has a floor, right?

So this missus has lost her wedding ring. Again... :|

We've only been married since Feb and this is the second time she's panicking from misplacing her ring. This time she took it off in her car (Honda Accord) and it slipped down into the groove of the handbrake... Can you believe it?

I'm working away at the moment and she's going crazy that it might be open to the road down there and the ring is going to fall out as shes driving home.
I'd guess it isn't, but can anyone confirm?

I might just tattoo one on her.... :D

Can you look under the car where the handbrake is located to see if there's any openings? My guess is no it won't get out or else water pf some sort would've come through the little handbrake area.

I don't know jack about cars but that's just my first thought...

Good luck! I really hope you find it!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

It is only a matter of taking it apart, it can't escape. Been there, designed that...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

None of my cars have that open to the road below. Although, I do find it interesting that there would be enough room to lose it down a gap. Is the E-brake boot loose or missing?

I would suggest taking it to a shop and have them fish it out of the car innards. That is if it is worth spending the money (both emotionally and if the ring worth enough $) to do so.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I do find it interesting that there would be enough room to lose it down a gap. Is the E-brake boot loose or missing?

Many cars (definitely Hondas) don't have a boot that seals off the gaps. They just have "blinds" that keep you from being able to see the mechanicals without being a boot which is more typically on the shifter of manual trans cars.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

From the pics I found with a quick search, the ring is still there.

It looks like you are going to have to pull the console off to get under it.

If you don't have the tools or experience, I'd have a shop do it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Taking the console off is not a big deal, just have to have good instructions, no special tools.

Thanks folks! That was my guess.

My mum used to have a 1940s Austin that you could actually see the road through the gap to the giant old handbrake. I was pretty sure time has moved on... :)

I'll break out the tools on the weekend.

DougH

So why does she keep taking it off? Hot guy working the drive through? ;)

:o I admit I thought something along those lines but I was hoping it was being removed for something more innocent like it's dangerous to wear a ring at work or a skydive. And I'm sure it is innocent but my cynical fuck attitude gets in the way a lot. :P
Always be kinder than you feel.

sundevil777

Taking the console off is not a big deal, just have to have good instructions, no special tools.

What may not be a big deal to you (or me) may be an impossible task for others.

And there's enough connections, both mechanical and electrical, that a mistake could get...

Expensive.

Some people have a rollaway (or two) full of everything you need to rebuild an engine sitting in the back bedroom.

Others have one crescent wrench, a pair of channel locks and one each straight & phillips screwdrivers.

I've replaced the starter in my Blazer in the street in front of my house.
I know people who don't even know how to open the hood of their car, let alone check the oil.

I'm guessing the OP falls somewhere in between those extremes, but I don't know where and I don't want to say "Pull the console, it's easy" without knowing his skill level.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DougH

So why does she keep taking it off? Hot guy working the drive through? ;)

Krav Maga classes. ;)

She took it to the dealers this morning who managed to recover the ring - saves me taking her car to pieces over the weekend! :D

wolfriverjoe

I'm guessing the OP falls somewhere in between those extremes, but I don't know where and I don't want to say "Pull the console, it's easy" without knowing his skill level.

I totally would have done too! :D:D:D

sundevil PM'd me some good advice in case I decided I really wanted to.

Andy9o8

phillips screwdrivers.

Whoa!! They make drivers for those screws? I can't tell you how many kitchen knives I've fucked up over the years.

[:/] Andy, that's what Vskydiver USED to do, until we started doing all kinds of remodeling projects together. Now she's damn handy with a lot of tools. Lemme see your guy card for a minute. I gotta punch a hole or two in it. :P

oldwomanc6

******I might just tattoo one on her.... :D

this is exacty what me and my Missus got. Tattoed rings :-)

Now, THAT'S commitment! :ph34r:isnt that what marriage should be ? At least for non-Kardashian people ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

"... I've replaced the starter in my Blazer in the street in front of my house. ..."

Got you beat!
I once changed the air filter and spark plugs on my car in the Canadian Tire parking lot!
Some people call that a red-neck tune-up.

piisfish

*********I might just tattoo one on her.... :D

Now, THAT'S commitment! :ph34r:isnt that what marriage should be ? At least for non-Kardashian people ?

Absolutely! 31 years and counting, here!

Just don't see that much.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

************I might just tattoo one on her.... :D

Absolutely! 31 years and counting, here!

Just don't see that much.

Thats what people say:|

We' re going on 40 yrs :)

The boss says I've go good health insurance:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder