rifleman

Students invent anti-rape drug nail varnish

Trends in the use of alcohol and other drugs in cases of sexual assault

GHB was detected in 4.4 per cent of samples. Only six (<0.6 per cent) specimens showed evidence of flunitrazepam, and four of those contained other substances including cocaine, alcohol and/or morphine. Thus, only 0.2 per cent of all samples were positive for flunitrazepam alone. These data clearly indicate that there is no evidence of widespread misuse of flunitrazepam in sexual assault. Alcohol remains the substance most frequently associated with this type of crime.

Its so much easier to blame someone else then to accept that your own behavior caused the state you're in. Undoubtedly that nail polish will sell a lot to bunch of clueless idiots who will continue to then put themselves into a state of near unconsciousness with reckless use of alcohol.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Trends in the use of alcohol and other drugs in cases of sexual assault

GHB was detected in 4.4 per cent of samples. Only six (<0.6 per cent) specimens showed evidence of flunitrazepam, and four of those contained other substances including cocaine, alcohol and/or morphine. Thus, only 0.2 per cent of all samples were positive for flunitrazepam alone. These data clearly indicate that there is no evidence of widespread misuse of flunitrazepam in sexual assault. Alcohol remains the substance most frequently associated with this type of crime.

Its so much easier to blame someone else then to accept that your own behavior caused the state you're in. Undoubtedly that nail polish will sell a lot to bunch of clueless idiots who will continue to then put themselves into a state of near unconsciousness with reckless use of alcohol.

But if it saves one person from being drugged and raped, isn't it worth it? I certainly think so.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Remster

Its so much easier to blame someone else then to accept that your own behavior caused the state you're in.

Yeah. That drunk slut deserved to get raped.

By 'the state you're in' I meant the level of intoxication. Every single scientific study on this issue I've seen has concluded that somewhere around 96-98% of cases where people claimed to have their drinks spiked, they simply drank too much alcohol and couldn't handle it.

Arvoitus

Its so much easier to blame someone else then to accept that your own behavior caused the state you're in.

By 'the state you're in' I meant the level of intoxication. Every single scientific study on this issue I've seen has concluded that somewhere around 96-98% of cases where people claimed to have their drinks spiked, they simply drank too much alcohol and couldn't handle it.

Then why do you bring it up in a rape discussion?
Remster

Arvoitus

When I was about 22 or so I had my drink spiked with something while out in a bar, Maloney's in Margate, NJ. It was probably 1 or 2 am and I wasn't drunk AT ALL. I started to feel yucky and asked a friend to take me home. I hallucinated my kitten looked like a rat when she jumped on my chest and that my hand was rainbow colored and melting before I passed out.

I wasn't raped but I was a sober girl who was slipped something.

It can happen to anyone.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Remster

Then why do you bring it up in a rape discussion?

No its a discussion of a product thats supposed to enable you to detect if your drink is altered to prevent you from getting abused, when in reality it would be more effective to teach people how alcohol affects them and how to drink responsively.

>No its a discussion of a product thats supposed to enable you to detect if your
>drink is altered to prevent you from getting abused, when in reality it would be
>more effective to teach people how alcohol affects them and how to drink
>responsively.

It's great to learn to drink responsibly. It's also great to have a way to detect if a potential rapist is trying to drug you. One does not exclude the other.

>Its so much easier to blame someone else then to accept that your own behavior
>caused the state you're in.

Perhaps, but here in the US we tend to blame the rapist for the rape. (May not be true everywhere, of course.) This product is just one small way of derailing their efforts.

oldwomanc6

***Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

That hasn't always worked, so an additional hex wrench in the toolbox is welcome.

I agree that it's good to have extra tools, but when has my suggestion not worked?

Honest question. I'm curious to know how someone can be drugged if her drink is always under her control?

Shotgun

******Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

That hasn't always worked, so an additional hex wrench in the toolbox is welcome.

I agree that it's good to have extra tools, but when has my suggestion not worked?

Honest question. I'm curious to know how someone can be drugged if her drink is always under her control?

Are you saying you have never set your drink down on a table? Taken your eye off it for even a split second (even while in your own hand)?

Ever?

Kids have been snatched in less time than it would take to slip something into it while you are distracted by a comment from someone. People have their pockets picked by misdirection all the time.

No one is suggesting that this take the place of vigilance.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

*********Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

Are you saying you have never set your drink down on a table? Taken your eye off it for even a split second (even while in your own hand)?

Ever?

Kids have been snatched in less time than it would take to slip something into it while you are distracted by a comment from someone. People have their pockets picked by misdirection all the time.

No one is suggesting that this take the place of vigilance.

Personally, I don't paint my fingernails. So if I was worried about my drink being drugged, _I_ would find it easier to watch my drink at all times than to paint my nails and stick my finger in my drink each time I took a sip.

I'm not knocking the invention, and I hope that it is helpful for some women.

Whoa... I have a feeling your comment might get ripped apart. FYI. Not my intent here at all.

Victim blame is pretty nasty, and if it is not part of the problem it is absolutely slowing down a solution.

The accessibility of early warning products for date rape drugs is vital in fighting a genuine problem. Forget that that some people can't handle their alcohol, or wear what some would call 'suggestive' attire while out on the town. The problem is not young people having a good time. The problem is creepy, sexually aggressive fuckweeds that take advantage of a person who is not functioning at 100% mental capacity. The appearance of date rape drug identification products might scare a rapists out of using that avenue to lock down a victim. That possibility alone makes the product awesome. I hope it gets popular enough that at least one asshat decides NOT to drug a potential victim in fear that they will be caught before they can get off.

Shotgun

******Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

I've heard stories where the bartender would slip the drug into the drink for a guy and give it to the unsuspecting lady.

Now you may say what about just drinking bottled/canned beer... well, I don't know any bars that will give you an unopened beer, pretty sure it's the law that it has to be opened before they hand it to you.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Calvin19

The accessibility of early warning products for date rape drugs is vital in fighting a genuine problem. Forget that that some people can't handle their alcohol, or wear what some would call 'suggestive' attire while out on the town. The problem is not young people having a good time. The problem is creepy, sexually aggressive fuckweeds that take advantage of a person who is not functioning at 100% mental capacity. The appearance of date rape drug identification products might scare a rapists out of using that avenue to lock down a victim. That possibility alone makes the product awesome. I hope it gets popular enough that at least one asshat decides NOT to drug a potential victim in fear that they will be caught before they can get off.

Unfortunately you take away one method and they will evolve another. I absolutely hate anyone that would consider it reasonable to drug a person for the purposes of getting their rocks off. >:(
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Cool idea... but time will tell if it has a net favorable impact women's sexual safety.

Sometimes things like this have unintended consequences. I am not making the claim that it will, but hypothetically this could cause people to let their guard down in other ways that increases their risk of sexual assault. Human behavior is hard to predict right?

It will probably make the investors a good chunk of change if commercialized regardless of the actual impact of their product.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

theonlyski

*********Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

I've heard stories where the bartender would slip the drug into the drink for a guy and give it to the unsuspecting lady.

Now you may say what about just drinking bottled/canned beer... well, I don't know any bars that will give you an unopened beer, pretty sure it's the law that it has to be opened before they hand it to you.

Bingo. This happened to my mother in the 70s at a now defunct bar called the Jolly Roger in Somers Point, NJ.

LuckyMcSwervy

************Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

Bingo. This happened to my mother in the 70s at a now defunct bar called the Jolly Roger in Somers Point, NJ.

Wow. You and your mom both had your drinks drugged at bars in NJ? Sorry to hear that. I've never been to NJ, but it sounds like women might want to avoid going to bars there. :|

Shotgun

***************Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

Wow. You and your mom both had your drinks drugged at bars in NJ? Sorry to hear that. I've never been to NJ, but it sounds like women might want to avoid going to bars there. :|

Hers was in the 1970s. Mine was in the early 1990s. To tell you the truth I think mine was a mistake. My friend and I were sharing a beer, keeping it on a covered billiards table we were both sitting on, back to back, while we talked to people. I reached behind me and grabbed the beer noticing it was much lighter than it was a few minutes before. I drank the rest and that was that. She hooked up with someone and left me and I started to feel weird not much later. I was going to go back and edit my original reply but didn't think it would matter. I don't think I was a "target" as no one was trying to pick me up and the friend that I asked to take me home wasn't hanging around with us that night, he just happened to be at the same bar.

I wouldn't say it's a NJ thing. I just think it was a coincidence thing. My mom only told me her story after my Dad told her what happened to me the night before so her's could've been bullshit because she's always been in "competition" with me. :S

oldwomanc6

***Interesting, but it seems like it would be easier to get your drinks for yourself and not leave your drinks unattended.

........................................................:..................

Are you suggesting a Vigil-sized hex wrench or a bulldozer-sized hex wrench?
Personally, I follow Bob Marley's advice about "a ratchet in your waist"