MisterCrash

Depression is taking the fun out of skydiving, need help!

BillyVance

******Mister Crash...
You are full of shit...

What the fuck is your problem?

Maybe the fact that he posted in Speakers Corner trying to glean votes online for legalizing cannabis in Europe?

I don't even smoke cannabis. I started promoting the legalization because I believe it can help in curing cancer and other illnesses. What's wrong with trying to help other people? I just haven't figured out how to help myself through depression.

Saying I'm full of shit doesn't really touch my feelings. I know why I do stuff, and I am fully aware not all people agree with me. But people who keep mixing up different subjects just make it a hard read for others...
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

Good luck dude, I share, and yet to find a "cure"...Always seeking it.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

DrDom

antidepressants are never better than placebo and if you read about "tardive dysphoria" they can actually make depression worse in the long run. Only therapy helps, and dietary modification/exercise. Big Pharma will tell you there is a cure, but most depression is lifestyle. Get your Vitamin D checked and your testosterone levels as well...

This is such a pile of utter claptrap I don't even know where to start.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

MisterCrash

I don't even smoke cannabis..

Well, duh. There's your problem.

Seriously man, I have a really close friend that was depressed all the time going to counseling popping all kinds of weird pills with horrible side effects.

She quit all that shit January first and started eating this "paleo" diet. She started smoking weed and got off the zoloft and whatever other crap they gave her. So far she's lost 60 pounds and has never felt better. She's exercising now and she made her first skydive a few weeks ago. She really seems like a whole new person.

These people dogging on weed don't know wtf they're talking about.

>This is such a pile of utter claptrap I don't even know where to start.

He may be one of the people who didn't have much luck with medications, tried losing weight/drinking less (or took another approach) and felt better. Sometimes it is easy to do that and make the leap to "therefore medications don't work for _anyone._"

(Of course for a great many people, treatments that include drugs work quite well.)

MisterCrash

Hello guys,

For several years I have been fighting depression. Skydiving has always been the one thing that got my spirits up and made me want to live again. But the last few weeks it seems I don't want to jump anymore. Each time I do, I land and I don't feel energized or happy anymore. The one thing I can still enjoy is high speed landings. The more dangerous stuff I do, the better I feel.

I really have to restrain myself not to hurt myself or others. I need help to find another way to get positive in life again.

Do any of you know ways I can fight depression other than pushing the limits of danger?

Do you have a will? Make one.

Sounds like you're full of shit. So shit or get off the pot.

I would say the Paleo Diet she is on coupled with the daily exercising she is doing and the skydiving ;) has had a far greater contribution to her improved state of mental health than the weed. Weed as far as I can tell is not classified as a depressant or a stimulant but more of an intoxicant.

If he's serious, it doesn't cost you anything to stay the fuck out of the thread, and by posting you might just add to whatever is going on.

If he's not serious, then he's an ass, but that doesn't reflect On you at all. So shut the fuck up.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dude, adding more pills doesn't ever help. It keeps you coming back and shelling out money. Eat healthy and excercise. Get a dog. Find a hobby(other than skydiving). Take a walk. Meditate. Yoga... Ect. Almost every post on here says eat pills. What the fuck people. Don't cloud your shit up more.

There is no substitute for healthy eating and excercise. If given that your body will take care of the rest. Sure there are people with chemical imbalances naturally, but they're far fewer and further between than big pharma, (who's paying the docs) would have you believe.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

First of all are you just depressed or are you bi-polar?

If you are bi-polar. How fast is the cycle of up and down and how long is the duration?

You might wanna find some other hobby to take your mind off from reality. Try paraglding, speedflying, base, rock climbing, surf. Even running. Run until you wanna puke and run some more until you puke. You'll feel great afterwards.

You might have just reached the point where skydiving got boring and it is not helping you distract yourself from the real world. Skydiving is not the only answer dude.

and as far as marijuana goes, it can have positive effect if you are bi-polar. Psychologist will say that it is self-medicating but if they work why not?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Will people who don't know anything (and I mean being professionally trained) about biochemistry / psychiatry / medicine please stay the hell out of these threads? Or at least refrain from posting.

Just because you read something on the internet, or saw it on the news does not make it OK to give people advice on medical matters.

Depression is a really complex subject and making inane comments like there have been a few times in this thread is not only stupid, it's fucking dangerous. A friend of a friend killed themselves after coming off medication on the advice of family members exactly as has been provided in here. I hope they feel perpetually guilty.

We tell people not to learn skydiving on the internet. Don't learn medical treatments on here either.

Don't give medical advice unless you're a professional in the field or have first hand experience, and even then limit it to 'this is what worked / didn't work for me. YMMV'.

I really have to restrain myself not to hurt myself or others. I need help to find another way to get positive in life again.

Do any of you know ways I can fight depression other than pushing the limits of danger?

Pull low & date your riggers wife ... You'll be back to normal in no time.

That or dead... Which would prolly be okay with the people you choose to endanger.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

wmw999

If he's serious, it doesn't cost you anything to stay the fuck out of the thread, and by posting you might just add to whatever is going on.

I am very serious. I'm using the internet now because I find it hard to talk to people in person about my problems. I don't mind trolls that say I'm full of shit other than they make it a harder read for people who are really interested.

Alexg3265

There is no substitute for healthy eating and excercise. If given that your body will take care of the rest.

In the next few weeks I'm going to try and change this. I will let you know what effect it has on my mood.

stayhigh

First of all are you just depressed or are you bi-polar?

I'm not bi-polar, I don't have any ups at all. That's what makes it so hard to implement lifestyle changes. I'm always down and tired.

airtwardo

Pull low & date your riggers wife ... You'll be back to normal in no time.

That or dead... Which would prolly be okay with the people you choose to endanger.

I choose not to endanger anyone. I just quit jumping when I'm feeling too bad. It just really scares me that the last thing that made me want to live is getting fucked by my depression. I'm not just bored of skydiving, there is so much more I want to learn and experience.
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

yoink

Will people who don't know anything (and I mean being professionally trained) about biochemistry / psychiatry / medicine please stay the hell out of these threads? Or at least refrain from posting.

Just because you read something on the internet, or saw it on the news does not make it OK to give people advice on medical matters.

Depression is a really complex subject and making inane comments like there have been a few times in this thread is not only stupid, it's fucking dangerous. A friend of a friend killed themselves after coming off medication on the advice of family members exactly as has been provided in here. I hope they feel perpetually guilty.

We tell people not to learn skydiving on the internet. Don't learn medical treatments on here either.

Don't give medical advice unless you're a professional in the field or have first hand experience, and even then limit it to 'this is what worked / didn't work for me. YMMV'.

First off, before I said fuck it and became a tattoo artist I had 4 years and 112 credits towards a behavioral psychology degree. I've been prescribed multiple antidepressants at multiple times. I'm not saying throw away all your pills. I'm saying change one thing at a time. Change diet and excercise, then see how you feel. I'm saying try something else besides adding more oils that obviously aren't working so far. (Definition of insanity comes to mind) Then ask your doctor about starting to wean yourself off. If you're on an SSRI, DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY. you have to wean off that. I have first hand experience with that. Worst 3 weeks of my life.

All I know is once I got off the pills and took care of myself (over time), I was far happier and satisfied with life than any artificial chemical ever made me. Maybe at first the pills help, but long term, they usually do more harm. Again, just my observations, and personal experience.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

while depression answers are as long as a piece of string
I would advise to take some time off skydiving,
then go back and make 1 jump, solo, flat and do nothing, just go limp and relax while your falling, hell close your eyes if you want
then pull and have some fun under canopy
making things simpler helps more than changing your life in one aspect or another

I skydive to relax and it helps great with my depression, I dont try to be great at anything, just be happy doing something that makes you smile, its your body, do what you want.

DrDom

antidepressants are never better than placebo and if you read about "tardive dysphoria" they can actually make depression worse in the long run. Only therapy helps, and dietary modification/exercise. Big Pharma will tell you there is a cure, but most depression is lifestyle. Get your Vitamin D checked and your testosterone levels as well...

With all due respect to your occupation and obvious education, you are wrong. I have been there, done that, and meds did it for me after a long trial & error process. It has kept the demons away for many years.

Well I guess it's personal. Meds turned me in to a emotional zoombie, I quickly realized that and decided to stop taking them. Few years later i still have some darker periods but I'm much MUCH stronger than I was back then. It worries me how much people trust in medication to be the cure. I say look for the cause of your depression and work on that instead of just trying to fight the symptoms. I know it's easier said than done but it's worth it.

Sorry you are having problems.

I'm a strong believer that biochemistry plays a large role in how we feel. The food we eat directly affects biochemistry, which in turn determines the balance of hormones, neurotransmitters, etc. etc. Keeping this in mind, here are a few ideas that I hope you will try.

1. Do a juice fast Drink nothing but fruit/vegetable juice for 3-7 days. This will allow your body to "reset" and detox. It may help rebalance your neurotransmitters. I have done a 3 day juice fast before, and, although I was not depressed, it helped me gain mental clarity.

2. Start taking Fish Oil There's a lot of research that DHA (which is in fish oil) plays a role in fighting depression. I'm not a doctor, but I would recommend taking between 500-800 mg of DHA every day.

These are just two ideas that I hope you consider.

Hey buddy, your symptoms sound very similar to what I've gone through in the past. It was the reason why I got into Skydiving in the first place. I figured I might as well try the most insane activities before I decide to off myself. Who knew I would find the answer to my problems in this sport. But I've also changed a number of areas in my life that have had a positive impact and got me out of the "darkness", most have been addressed above.

1. Meds. Try starting again with the bupropion products such as Wellbutrin. As a dopamine reuptake inhibitor they work differently from your typical SSRIs in that there is a lower chance of sexual side effects and no weight gain. Since it doesnt affect your serotonin, its more of an organic happiness rather then a dulling fuck it attitude like Zoloft. And it helps to quit if your a smoker. When my wellbutrin stopped working I switched to Aplezine and its been working wonders for me.

2. Diet. People have mentioned going Paleo above and I definitely recommend it. I would take it a step further and actually do the Whole30 Challenge. Check out whole9life.com 30 days no gluten, dairy, legumes, sugar, artificial sweeteners, or processed foods. Just meats, veggies, fruits, and nuts. You reset your body and after 30 days can start adding back certain foods one at a time to see how they affect you. After your first week of crash/detox I noticed a dramatic effect in my energy levels and my depression was noticeably controlled. I cant stress enough how much changing my diet has improved my life.

3. Sleep. I was suffering from sleep apnea. Would wake up feeling like i got hit by a mack truck and would willing turn down a suitcase filled with money for an extra hour in the sack. Once I got my CPAP machine I felt like a new person. CPAP will help you get a good nights rest when your asleep, but you have to develop good sleeping habits. No caffeine past noon if you can help it, stick to a bed time, remove distractions in your bedroom, maybe get a new mattress and spend some money on it. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, its worth the investment. Go get a sleep study.

4. Exercise. No brainer on how this makes you feel better. Find something you like doing and do it.

5. Blood test. Get a full battery test for everything. Especially check for Vit D, Thyroid, A1C for diabetes, testosterone.

6. Lifestyle. Make some positive changes in your lifestyle. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Start setting small goals for the week and reward yourself when you accomplish them. Hang out with positive friends (plenty of hippies in the skydiving community :) Maybe take a small break from jumping and do other things. Learn how to ride a motorcycle, fly a plane, train for the tough mudder. plenty of other badass activities besides skydiving.

I can almost guarantee you these changes will have a tremendous impact on you. Dont just pick one area, you can focus on all to make yourself better. You don't deserve to feel shitty and nothing worthwhile is easy. You gotta grab life by the haunches and hump it into submission!!! (Patches O'Houlahan)

stayhigh

Did the pills made you feel grey? Meaning you don't get too excited nor happy?

Most doctor will say that the pills made your brain balanced so that is why you could've successfully got off the pill.

Not I don't feel anything, except better. A few years ago I approached my shrink and suggested that since I had been depression free for a number of years I might be able to come off the pills. He replied that he would guarantee a 95% chance that I would have another episode & that it would be worse that anything I had had before. That ended the conversation for me.

rsb5267

This will allow your body to "reset" and detox. It may help rebalance your neurotransmitters.

Woo and pseudocience at best, dangerous misinformation at worst.

Literally none of the things you just described actually exist, outside Cosmopolitan magazine. You might as well be discussing chakras and realigning the flow of qi energy.

Drinking juice and eating helathy stuff is probably still a good idea for all of us though.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Good luck dude. I'm in the same boat. It seems it doesn't matter how many jumps I pump out in a day, by the time I get home from the DZ I already start feeling down again. I'm in the gym 4 times a week, eat very very healthy foods and see a therapist. By far the best remedy/cure I have found is a big fat joint.. No bullshit. My head is constantly full of worries and stress, after a few tokes all of my cares seem to just go away. It is of course not for everyone and I am by no means saying you should do something illegal. But I know I'd rather be high on grass than pumped full of man made pills anyday, plus I always sleep like a baby. Good like in the fight dude! Never give up!
Knowledge is safety. Ignorance and complacency commonly result in death..