Nataly

Do you water your Christmas Tree??

Do you water your Xmas Tree? (Please select "other" if you don't have one, have a plastic one, et cetera.)

OK, so today we were talking about Xmas trees, and I said I wouldn't get a real one - too much hassle, getting one, hauling it up to the house, then caring for it, watering it, disposing of it, et cetera.

And everyone looked at me like I was INSANE... *WATERING* A XMAS TREE??? A CUT TREE??? WTF???

I swear I didn't make this up - am I the only one who grew up in a household that watered the Xmas Tree?? It's just like a cut flower - it needs water otherwise it dries up and loses its wonderful fragrance and all the needles fall off and nevermind how much MORE of a fire hasard the thing becomes!!

Seriously... I can't be the only one...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Yes, of course you water your Christmas tree. You also use a proper German-engineered Christmas tree stand http://christbaumstaender.krinner.com/ which has a water level indicator - those crafty Germans.

I call Blasphemy at the above choice of "not believing in Santa"; he's real, lives at the North Pole and has eight reindeer (not counting Rudolph). Don't tick that box, because he's watching who's been naughty and who's been nice.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Nataly

And everyone looked at me like I was INSANE... *WATERING* A XMAS TREE??? A CUT TREE??? WTF???

I swear I didn't make this up - am I the only one who grew up in a household that watered the Xmas Tree?? It's just like a cut flower - it needs water otherwise it dries up and loses its wonderful fragrance and all the needles fall off and nevermind how much MORE of a fire hasard the thing becomes!!

For years we went and cut a fresh tree here in WA state. And they would suck up a quart or more of water daily. We had some that we hauled out of the house 3-4 weeks later that were still in great shape.

One year we had one the didn't take up water. Shock, bad tree, I don't know? But it was dry and brittle in a week. I was scared to death of that tree catching on fire. Took it outside right after Christmas; no keeping it around to New Year's.

We had a nice bonfire pit in the back yard and would burn the dried out trees in the spring. Wow, there is no way you'd want one of those to burn up in your house. :o:D

I think the problem is you discussed something logical with French people. Of course they are going to argue with you. :P

Nataly

Do you water your Xmas Tree?

I don't because I never have one, but when I was a kid, the family tree was in a tree stand that had a water reservoir, and it got watered (every few days because it used that much water). It almost has to be watered or it turns brown.

And the most important reason to water it is to keep it from getting dry and becoming a (worse) fire hazard. Check out the video here: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/holidays/christmas-tree-fires

Yes, one should water it. It's also good to cut off some of the stump once you bring the tree home from the lot so it can soak up more water.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

>Do you water your Xmas Tree?

Yes, because we usually get balled trees and plant them afterwards. (Always bothered me that Christmas trees, symbols of rebirth, got thrown out right after Christmas.) Most of them survived the process, and there are now some 40 foot evergreens at the houses I've lived in over the years.

real Christmas trees are a big pain in the butt. The first couple of years when I was married the ex had to have a live tree. And it had to go up right after thanksgiving. And stay up till new year. so we went to a Christmas tree farm and cut our own. the second year when I took it down. I insisted she come into the backyard and told her watch this. I touched a match to the base and WHOOSH!!. she accuse me of dousing it in gasoline I assured her that wasn't the case. problem solved plastic trees from then on:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I have a friend in Colorado that goes out and cuts a tree in early Nov and places it in a 5 gallon bucket full of water. She leaves it out side until time to move it inside and decorate. the 5 gallon block of ice keeps it watered through the holiday as it melts.

My better half mentioned to me that different species of pine have different watering requirements.

The ones she had as Christmas trees growing up in Oz would easily do a waterless month without dropping needles.

Quite possible that the French varieties don't need water.

Leaving the tree in water or ice before it moves indoors is pretty much the way I learned thru family tradition, if the tree is acquired early. However, that's removed when the tree goes indoors and so when the tree is set up it sits in a small plastic container like a margarine tub and is watered daily. The tree can really suck up the water at times.

My mom's German so there's a specific time to put up the tree, just a day or two before Christmas Eve, not weeks ahead.

(At her place we always use real candles too, 12 if possible, because again that's tradition. They're lit only when supervised and nobody is running about. As a kid I always liked the German traditions, because presents are given in the evening of Christmas Eve. Didn't have to wait until the next morning like the other kids!)