skydude2000

Dog Adoption

Hey gang,

I've just moved into the basement unit of a house, and I should be staying put for the next 2-3 years, and I'm thinking about adopting a new dog.

Can you guys give me some good tips of what I should look out for while I'm adopting? I'm looking for a medium-sized, young adult dog, that doesn't shed TOO much. Do any of you guys have info on what might be a good breed in a moderately active dog? I do a lot of running, walking & swimming in the summer, so a dog I could take with me to do SOME of that stuff would be great.

I've been advised to avoid the herding breeds(border collies, shepherds, etc.)

I work about 40 minutes away from home, for 7.5-8 hours a day, so I'd be able to walk it at least twice a day.

Any suggestions about what breeds I should be looking out for and any potential medical problems common to certain breeds?

Any other info you guys could give me about being a new dog owner would be great!!

Cheers!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Go to your local shelter and look around. I've always found mutts to be better pets. A herding dog cooped up in a crate for 9 hours a day will go nuts so thats good advice to avoid them.

Rhodesian ridgebacks area real nice mid size (maybe a bit bigger than mid size but if you get a mutt you can find them smaller) dog with good temperament and intelligence:

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/rhodesian-ridgeback

Phillbo

Go to your local shelter and look around. I've always found mutts to be better pets. A herding dog cooped up in a crate for 9 hours a day will go nuts so thats good advice to avoid them.

Rhodesian ridgebacks area real nice mid size (maybe a bit bigger than mid size but if you get a mutt you can find them smaller) dog with good temperament and intelligence:

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/rhodesian-ridgeback

Agree they are great dogs but they are a bit on the large side... But lovely, intelligent dogs who hardly ever bark and have a quiet temperment. They are powerful; they know they are powerful, so they don't feel the need to show aggression or be on the attack/defensive... They are almost aloof but really friendly and loyal dogs. They have energy without being a stressed or hyperactive dog. Fantastic companion. Maybe too big for a small appartment...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

OPINION:

Some will cringe, but I have a friend in your living situation.. he has a pit bull.

Very sharp dogs, little hair and if you find one about a year old that has some docile built into them, they make great pets.

He lets his pit walk around the house during the day and has a throw cover on the couch which is where it usually winds up for most of the day.

Personally, I'm opposed to the crate thing for 8 hours a day... to me that's just too hard on any specie of dog during the day.

At night, a crate is where my two labs go and I eventually left the crate door open and that was their cave at night.

Even took the doors off and taught them the command of "Crate."

They go in for the night and I give them a treat and they'll stay in there all night until I say, "Outside" the next morning.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

OPINION:

Some will cringe, but I have a friend in your living situation.. he has a pit bull.

Pit Bull owners will likely (and maybe vehemently) disagree with me, but Pit Bulls (and Rottweilers) are statistically FAR more likely to have unprovoked outbursts of aggression. Just to explain briefly, the numbers are very statistically significant, since those two breeds make up more than half of the yearly dog-to-human attacks, but do not NEARLY make up half of the dog population...

This doesn't mean that a Pit Bull or Rottweiler will *definitely* attack a human/child/other dog or animal, but it *does* mean that owners of such breeds are just plain irresponsible if they do not take the time to properly train the dog and ensure it is properly kept on a leash and also make sure it will never escape from the garden (or that children cannot get into the garden)... Again, I have nothing against these breeds - far from it. I am merely talking about responsible pet ownership.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

We have adopted five dogs over the years. Our last was a retired racing greyhound, and she was a bit of a weird bitch. Our newest adoption is a pit bull that was born in a high kill shelter. By far and away he is the sweetest and most intelligent dog I have ever owned. We adopted him when he was four months old and immediately took him to obedience class. He was the super star of the class (instructors words, not this beaming fathers words :P) He's 10 months now and has never so much as nipped at another dog or person. When he's at the dog park he is typically the one that flips over on his back and goes submissive if another dog gets aggressive. (which by the way are usually the dogs not considered "aggressive" by list makers.) I've never seen a dog learn as fast as he doe and be so loving. He's definitely and ambassador for the breed.

My room-mates actually just had a baby together, we have an essentially separate living space, but we're family and spend a fair bit of time together. Call me closed-minded, but you might be right, I'm not sure how keen we'd be to bring a pitbull into the house with a 2 month-old.

I appreciate all the helpful tips and suggestions. The search continues. . . . . .

PULL!! or DIE!!

Of course countless owners will claim their dog is the exception... And certainly each dog is an individual and will not necessarily display all the traits that are typical of the breed...

I am a big fan of Pit Bulls - they are fantastic in many respects... But unfortunately sudden aggression (often unprovoked) *is* one of their common traits.

So again - responsible pet ownership.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If you've got a young kid in the household, you really want to select for a breed that loves kids, and which, if you don't get the training absolutely perfect, isn't likely to hurt the kid.

Which would rule out the bull breeds. Again, unless you're an experienced dog trainer :)
If it was me, I'd be looking at the Golden Retriever or Nova Scotian Duck Tolling Retriever. Fairly smart, fairly sociable, fairly active. Affectionate without being too demanding. Can go hiking in the woods, or on a 5km run, or just snuggle on the sofa if that's the mood you're in. Good with kids; your roommates won't feel threatened/worried :)
If you're after a 1yo, you'll likely be getting through a shelter, yes? Make sure they understand the living situation. There are quite a few rescues that have understandable fear/aggression issues, which would make them totally unsuitable for your situation.

I'm an OES person, but unless you're planning on getting really good with grooming, I wouldn't go there... https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveoflynn/15379091523/

Pit Bull owners will likely (and maybe vehemently) disagree with me, but Pit Bulls (and Rottweilers) are statistically FAR more likely to have unprovoked outbursts of aggression. Just to explain briefly, the numbers are very statistically significant, since those two breeds make up more than half of the yearly dog-to-human attacks, but do not NEARLY make up half of the dog population...

Source?

- Dan G

Bob.dino's right, you want a starter dog that suits your actual style and family. If you think the idea of spending disciplined time every day in training, then get something that needs it. Otherwise, look for the term "laid back." Really. I've had dogs most of my life.

One of the most fun was the Rottweiler, but she was a handful, and I'd never recommend one like that to someone who's never had a dog, or who has kids that they plan to make the priority.

Consider size and shedding, as well. The answers to the dog quiz might be weird, but it asks a lot of the right questions

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've done a few quizzes online, and the Dogtime quiz that N@ posted.

Top 3 breeds were an American Water Spaniel, Brittany, and an English Cocker Spaniel.

That helps narrow it down, but I'm probably going to end up adopting from a shelter, so it's unlikely that I'd find a purebred anyway. If I keep an eye out for a mixed breed in any of the above, the shelter also recommended a lab mix, I could look around, take them for a walk to see how they behave a little and go from there.

I have a separate unit with a walk-out into an unfenced yard, so I can let him out and tie him up, but mostly I'll be walking him, unless he needs walked at 5 am.

I'm planning to do obedience training too, but I don't want to make it harder on myself than I have to.

Thanks so much for all the info, everything so far really helps me know what to look for and what NOT to look for.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Please don't buy a dog from a breeder. The chances are good that you'll end up with an inbred medical nightmare. Mutts have much lower incidence of genetic disorders, so they live longer and cost less.

My wife used to work at an animal shelter. They were usually about 25% pure breds in the shelter. So if you have your heart set on a pure bred, the shelter is still a much better alternative. Breeders, no matter how "reputable" should not be supported when there are millions of unwanted dogs looking for a home.

And pit bulls are great dogs if they are properly trained (like any dog should be). If they are abused and taught to be viscious, then that's what they'll be. The statistics on pit bull bites are highly skewed by the typical type of asshole that wants a pit bull because he thinks it makes him more manly. The idea that pit bulls will eventually turn on their owners is BS. Back in the day (100 years ago) pit bulls were known as the "nanny dog" because they were great with kids. The pit bull used to be the desired family pet in the US. The popularity of dog fighting changed that. We have a pit bull, and he loves kids. Michael Vick's pit bulls, probably not so much. It's all about the environment. That being said, if having a pit bull makes you nervous, then don't get one. Neither you or the dog will be happy.

- Dan G

skydude2000

I'm planning to do obedience training too, but I don't want to make it harder on myself than I have to.

Good call. The lab mix could be a very fine idea - they're also fairly trainable (as they're super-food-motivated).

I'd be looking to find a chilled out dog training club. My experience was that it was 25% training the dog, and 75% training me to communicate consistently in a way the dog could understand.

But dogs are cool. Enjoy B|.

skydude2000

My room-mates actually just had a baby together, we have an essentially separate living space, but we're family and spend a fair bit of time together. Call me closed-minded, but you might be right, I'm not sure how keen we'd be to bring a pitbull into the house with a 2 month-old.

I have to retract my suggestion based on this information. In fact, I would suggest you reconsider the "dog" ownership for now. Any and all dogs can have a sudden aggressive nature. They are predators by nature. Even the precious cute little lap dogs can snap if irritated. And, a two month old can literally have serious consequences with a warning snap. My $.02
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

DanG

Source?

Actually, Nat is correct. I live with a vet who is very pro-pit, but the stats are not in their favor.

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths. Source: http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2014.php

More info:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-myths.php

To qualify my first suggestion... a pit requires a LOT of training and even more human socialization. It sounded like the OP was looking for something like that.... but add a two month old baby into the equation and it changes everything.

I'd find a better source than "dogsbite.org". Not exactly neutral.

Even taking the statistics at face value (which I'll address below) they can't discriminate what caused the dog to bite. Nat (and apparently you) claim that there is something in the dog's genes that makes them more likely to bite. You can't prove that with a statistic that says they bite more often. I can equally claim that they bite more often because their owners are less responsible on average, and more likely to encourage aggressive behavior.

As far as the staistics go, they are also questionable. Every time there is an aggresive dog in the news, it is likely to be reported as a pit bull. That doesn't mean that it is. As an example, there was a viral video last year of a cat saving a toddler from a dog attack. The dog was widely repprted as a pit bull, even though on the video it was clearly not.

Anyway,like I said, if an owner doesn't want a pit bull (or wants one for the wrong reasons) then they shouldn't get one. They can be very loving and friendly dogs, but they are not for everyone.

- Dan G

DanG

I'd find a better source than "dogsbite.org". Not exactly neutral.

Even taking the statistics at face value (which I'll address below) they can't discriminate what caused the dog to bite. Nat (and apparently you) claim that there is something in the dog's genes that makes them more likely to bite. You can't prove that with a statistic that says they bite more often. I can equally claim that they bite more often because their owners are less responsible on average, and more likely to encourage aggressive behavior.

As far as the staistics go, they are also questionable. Every time there is an aggresive dog in the news, it is likely to be reported as a pit bull. That doesn't mean that it is. As an example, there was a viral video last year of a cat saving a toddler from a dog attack. The dog was widely repprted as a pit bull, even though on the video it was clearly not.

Anyway,like I said, if an owner doesn't want a pit bull (or wants one for the wrong reasons) then they shouldn't get one. They can be very loving and friendly dogs, but they are not for everyone.

You asked to cite a source, which I did
You don't like that source because you don't agree with it.
Then, you make it my responsibility to find another source.

Did you even read the fatalities report... kinda hard to dispute the fact of death by
Tell you what, unless you find a source that disputes the facts I presented; I'll let my source stand.

Maybe this doesn't make a difference, but I feel like I should clarify. I live in the basement apartment of the house with my sister and her fiancé. We have a shared entrance and laundry, but that's about it. Separate bedroom, kitchen, livingroom, bathroom and I have a walk-out patio. The thing I'm mostly concerned with about my room-mates and their baby, is noise. I can keep the dog downstairs either in a crate in our laundry room, my living-room or bedroom, our tied up outside on the patio.

But as I said, mostly I'll be walking him, and he wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the child unsupervised. I'd just try to avoid a known aggressive breed for my own peace of mind.

I'll look for a lab mix or something like that and keep getting more input from the shelter staff about what I should look for.

Thanks!
PULL!! or DIE!!