Centrigrade Versus Fahrenheit - Which Is Better?

How fast ya flyin'?

Lemme grab a pencil. :P
Now . . . is that statute MPH or Knots?:D

AHH too many units!!!!

(...that's what she said)

Been to a party thrown by Divot and Twardo, huh?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

and whats the reason the universe allows that ?

Your question implies the universe has an underlying intelligence, of which, there is no evidence.

What is happening in the experiment is the lower pressure causes the water to boil at room temperature, but in boiling the water is losing heat, so it turns to ice.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Seriously, we should use Kelvin, but it will take a lot of work to change people over.

Is having an absolute temperature scale useful to anyone besides photographers and electrical engineers that deal with comm systems?

...not to discount either, of course, as I'm both.

The lowest temperature at which NaCl/H2O can remain liquid is -21.2C or -6.15F.:P

Hmmmmm...interesting. I didn't know that (or forgot).
I'm going to dig around to find out why that is.

Well, I can already that this is going to be tough in a way.
The first reference I looked at said molecules contain heat. Should I contact the writer and ask just how much heat a molecule actually contains?

but from the same article, I get this:

"As ice begins to freeze out of the salt water, the fraction of water in the solution becomes even lower, and the freezing point drops further!

However, this doesn't continue indefinitely. At some point the solution will become saturated with salt. This happens for salt in water at -21.1°C, which therefore is the coldest a saturated solution of salt and water can get.

At that temperature, the salt begins to crystallize out of solution, along with the ice, until the solution completely freezes.

The frozen solution is a mixture of separate salt (NaCl·2H2O) crystals and ice crystals. This heterogeneous mixture is called a eutectic mixture."

John,
Do you know Tamara?
http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1722
:D:D

No, but I teach this stuff. Another well known EUTECTIC is lead-tin solder, which freezes at a lower temperature than either pure lead or pure tin.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I find it strange that in Canada, vehicle fuel economy is not measured as kilometers/liter, they use liters/100 km. That is the inverse of miles/gallon as in the US. That is odd that they inverted it, instead of just using metric units. Is it the same in other metric countries?

Makes perfect sense. Most people are more interested in how much gas it takes to go on a trip of a certain distance.

Also it's easier to calculate averages this way - such as a 100km trip that is 50km highway and 50km city.

[reply "Du bist ein Spinner" = You're a fruitcake/ douche bag...

"You are a spinner" means something entirely different to me.

Well, "Morning Mist" means something totally different to most Germans compared to what comes to an English native' mind. B|

Rolls Royce had a car on the drawing board that was to be called the "Silver Mist" (most of their cars were "Silver xxxx, like Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith and Silver Cloud). Then they discovered that sales of a Silver Mist in German speaking nations would be rather difficult, so they changed the name to Silver Shadow.

I find it strange that in Canada, vehicle fuel economy is not measured as kilometers/liter, they use liters/100 km. That is the inverse of miles/gallon as in the US. That is odd that they inverted it, instead of just using metric units. Is it the same in other metric countries?

Makes perfect sense. Most people are more interested in how much gas it takes to go on a trip of a certain distance.

Also it's easier to calculate averages this way - such as a 100km trip that is 50km highway and 50km city.

You are wrong.

The Honda Civic gets 36 mpg on the highway (5.7 liters/100km as reported by Canadian test methods - a slightly different result). If you want to figure how much fuel is required to go on a 150 mile (241km)trip, you must do...

150/36=4.2 gal.

In metric-land you must do...

(241/100)*5.7=14 liters.

The dividing by 100 is obviously easy to do, but you still must either divide or multiply by a 2 digit number. I assert that using mpg is more direct, and at the least doesn't make any less "perfect sense" than using liters/100km (or km/liter). A split city/hwy trip is also not any more conveniently calculated.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Freezing temperature was determined by my ex's heart.
Boiling temperature was also set by her heart Fists....anytime it wasn't freezing.

FIFY:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

(241/100)*5.7=14 liters.

Ahem, in metric it spelled is litres, not liters.

Ahem, there are other variations allowed by respected sources:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liter

If those across the pond can use aluminium, and colour, then there is no reason to complain about liter. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

[reply "Du bist ein Spinner" = You're a fruitcake/ douche bag...

"You are a spinner" means something entirely different to me.

Well, "Morning Mist" means something totally different to most Germans compared to what comes to an English native' mind. B|

Rolls Royce had a car on the drawing board that was to be called the "Silver Mist" (most of their cars were "Silver xxxx, like Silver Ghost, Silver Wraith and Silver Cloud). Then they discovered that sales of a Silver Mist in German speaking nations would be rather difficult, so they changed the name to Silver Shadow.

Heh heh... "Silver crap" sounds even worse than Chevy's problem marketing the Nova in Spanish countries, where "no va" means "doesn't go".

The Honda Civic gets 36 mpg on the highway (5.7 liters/100km as reported by Canadian test methods - a slightly different result). If you want to figure how much fuel is required to go on a 150 mile (241km)trip, you must do...

150/36=4.2 gal.

(241/100)*5.7=14 liters.

The dividing by 100 is obviously easy to do, but you still must either divide or multiply by a 2 digit number. I assert that using mpg is more direct, and at the least doesn't make any less "perfect sense" than using liters/100km (or km/liter). A split city/hwy trip is also not any more conveniently calculated.

It's a little easier when the trip is 150 km... ;-)
Apart from the fact that most modern cars provide a "board computer" which does all the calculations for you at any time you like to, it isn't that much difficult. Let's say the trip it's 237 km in each direction, makes roughly 470 km total. That's 5,7 * 4 ~ 23 litres plus 0,7 * 4,7 ~ 4 litres, about 27 litres in total. To calculate it more accurately isn't sensible since the average consumption doesn't necessarily apply exactly to the type of road/highway taken and the way you're driving... B|
But either value is nice to work with. For some reasons, l/ 100 km is popular here and so be it... ;)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Have to disagree with you there Doc'. I have a 50 litre tank. What I really care about is how long until I need to fill it. It usually crosses several trips of 10km or less as I live in the city (as do most people in Canada). When planning a longer trip I usually look at my trip meter to determine whether I need to fill up now or can make it to my destination, or a known gas station. Essentially I care how many km are left in the tank. Km/l would be much more intuitive. As a result the switch to thinking in terms of l/100km has not occurred for me as easily as most metric switches. I think it has even hampered my intuitive switch to thinking about distance in km as opposed to miles even though I mostly think of speed in km/hr.

yes, and what you have to pay for a litre of gas is outrageous!

It's mainly the state collecting taxes (including VAT on other taxes!) that makes petrol/gas that expensive here.

BTW: The gov't is planning to impose an extra fee on any inland flight and it's not clear if this will also apply to parrotshooters. If yes, ticket prices will rocket up to ~40 Euros (50+ Dollars), final kiss to it for many jumpers. The f*cking Greens will like that. >:(>:(>:(
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Metric is measurement, not spelling.

The word metre has latin origins, but I suppose like many other words it has been americaniZZZZZZZZZed.

LOL
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

You are wrong.

150/36=4.2 gal.

(241/100)*5.7=14 liters.

No, you are wrong, as shown by the fact that you avoided the situation I described, which was calculating an average for mixed highway/city driving.

Have to disagree with you there Doc'. I have a 50 litre tank. What I really care about is how long until I need to fill it.

It remains the case that if you mix highway and city driving, it's easier to calculate consumption from vol/distance than from distance/volume.