atsaubrey

Racer rigs

I am looking into new gear and I have to say the racer is very appealing. #1 comfort #2 weight (super light) #3 they want to work with my needs #4 fast reserve deployment.
So here's my question...Racers kinda have a bad rap due to the reserves being a pain in the ass to repack. My rigger WILL repack one and might charge an addtional $10..big deal. What are some of the reasons YOU wouldn't buy a racer? THIS IS NOT A SLAM TO ANY MANUFACTURES BY ANY MEANS!!!

PM me if you feel more comfortable than making posts.
Thanks
"GOT LEAD?"

Racers kinda have a bad rap due to the reserves being a pain in the ass to repack.

I am not a rigger but from what I have read here from very experienced riggers, this statement is just wrong - you need to have a rigger who is properly trained. Mike at Jumpshack is excellent and can probably see to this. My next one (I have had 2) will be a 2K3 for ease of packing (main),less maintenance and good riser/bridle protection.

On the downside, resale in CA may be poor - they are not popular on the west coast. Actually, they are not a popular rig anywhere I have visited - you can view this as a either positive or negative.

rm

Racers got a bad rap because the factory was twelve years late in developing Cypres-compatible tools.
Now that Jump Shack will mail you a Cypres-compatible temporary loop - for free - the argument fades rapidly.
If your rigger is still using (Cypres-imcompatible) steel T-bodkins, take your rig to another rigger.
Soft temporary loops (made of Cypres cord) remove most of the fumbling from packing Pop-Tops (Racer, Reflex and Teardrop).
May I suggest finger trapping a pair of pull-up cords to your temporary loops? This halves the number of tails you have to manage late in the packing process.

The Fast reserve deployment is up for debate. The reserve opens based on the pack job more then the flap design. Yes, it could take an extra .1 of a second to get to full bridle extention on different rig designs but if you are relying on that .1 second you better hope not to have a snivel at all on the reserve.

Why would'nt I buy a Racer? The 2 pin cypres is one reason, you either like the looks of a poptop or you don't, other then that they are good rigs, but finding a rigger that makes it look good and can retighten it is a key.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just bought my 2nd Racer.My 1st one was used racer cira 1977.. I then bought a Vector, but I missed comfort of Racer. Its very comferterable rig.
Nancy and staff at jump shack are great to work with.
I'm glad I bought a Racer.. its well made and totally velcroless, except for the reserve ripcord pin cover on back of the rig. I also like that the reserve ripcord pins are protected and can't be accidently dislonged while wearing the rig. I bought a Angelfire reserve for it too. and while at WFFC I got to jump the new Firebolt mains and I liked it so much I put a deposit down on a new main. They have lots of lift on the flare. give Nancy a call [email protected] and she'll set you up on your new racer. my next rig will be a Racer again.
Mike

Haven't owned anything else since 1987, own my fourth one. The people at the Jumpshack are top-notch, the rig is the most comfortable you will ever own, and as far as riggers go, there are definitely harder rigs to pack than Racers, someone at one time just gave them a bad rap.
blue skies,

art

I am with you on the looking into the racer thing. I know a working vidot that has a racer at my dz. I have watched him tighten up the reserve in a snap. The prices on the rig, and the parts if you have a reserve ride are VERY appealing to my wallet. I will have to get a demo in a few months and see how I like it. I feel comfortable with their being able to get you a rig looking at their site and the sideline rigs that they make. Let me know what they say when you get more info. I am sure that a super anvil having their rig would bring some attention their way, might get you a few goodies IMO.;)

Several years ago, when I first got my 'Senior ticket', I had a horrible time learning to pack a Racer. Went to one of Jump-Shack's seminars they held here in Texas and really got 'in-line'. While looking through one of the Cypres manuals, I learned a great deal more. Especially using 'soft' bodkins. It was a real learning curve but, I really enjoy packing them. I don't charge any more for Racers. The big 'secret' I found in making them look good is maintaing a good 'hollow' area between the ears during the packing process. I think, they are a very well constructed harness-container.

Chuck

I own 4 and love them! They're super-comfortable and very light-weight. Especially for smaller people they're fantastic.

W

How do you deal with the potential for lines getting caught on the poptop?

I've managed to get some wrapped around it when I was walking in after landing. Just wondering how you cope in the air.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

For one Just make sure the Pop Top is packed Correctly then you shouldn't have a problem. Seen too many in the field with the Pop top sticking out somewhat. Make sure your Rigger is knowledgeable on Racers and Repacks and you should be fine. The pop top should be Seated nicely into the reserve..ETC..ETC..

The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

well well I was wondering when it was going to be my turn:
Fast reserve deployment? you bet...many years ago I was jumping at a DZ in Texas, I was just learning and had about 12 jumps or so....we saw a large formation break, in horror we all followed a fellow fumbling with something and we saw him go behind the tree line still in freefall, people were screaming others looked away and one woman covered her ears.
One fellow said he saw a flash of white (I did not)
a few minutes later out from the trees comes this guy with the biggest eyes redest face I have ever seen....his words "Oh my God I love my Racer"...I turned to a guy standing next to me and asked "hey man what's a Racer? the dude happened to be the pilot at the DZ, a rigger and had worked at Jumpshack...he took me aside and started "let me tell you........20 years later here I am still jumping racers, I love them so much that I became a dealer and now a distributor. If you want my complete spiel on racers e-mail me.
Blue skies

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I've managed to get some wrapped around it when I was walking in after landing. Just wondering how you cope in the air.

Its never really been an issue. I've had it happen way more often on the ground than ever in the air....

Make sure your rigger knows how to pack it. As long as you have a good hollow in the freebag (John S. called it a catchers mit) the pilot chute should seat fine.

This brings up one valid point. After seeing bent pins, broken quick loops and pull forces that only Frank Zane could pull, I've learnt that a racer in the hands of a bad rigger is a scary thing ... although the same can be said of any rig!:P

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Are Racer rigs compatible with some sort of "no-open pull force check" device? I figure they probably are, but I don't know. Just curious, and trying to see if there are more options for a rigger to get his technique correct than "don't be an idiot", such as actually testing the stinking pull force after it's packed. ;)

The regular pull force check tool works fine.
I check every time the quick loops are adjusted.

I have, however, had a racer in that bottomed out my 50lbs scale when I tested it.
I talked to a guy who was with the rigger when he packed it. He had him put his weight on the container while he reefed it with all his might.

That was one of the first repacks I ever di and I learned a valuble lesson that day. Not all rigger are created equal!

p.s. no more than 22lbs
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Are Racer rigs compatible with some sort of "no-open pull force check" device? I figure they probably are, but I don't know. Just curious, and trying to see if there are more options for a rigger to get his technique correct than "don't be an idiot", such as actually testing the stinking pull force after it's packed. ;)

Para-gear sells a "pull check tool". http://www.paragear.com/frame.asp?menu=group%3d29%26level%3d1&main=templates/base_template.asp%3fgroup%3d29 It can be used on 1, 2, 3, or 4 pin rip cords.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals