BlindBrick

Dolphin, Worth it or not?

First off, this is not an intentional flame against the Dolphin, so don't take it that way. For a long time, I've heard people talking about how the Dolphin was a very decent rig for a great price. I am currently looking at getting a new rig and am considering the Dolphin. However, as I was flipping through the latest Paragear catalog, I noticed that the price difference between a Dolphin, Quasar, Infinity, and Centarus are minimal.

So, my question is if the Dolphin is really worth the $150-300 cost savings?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Dolphin is a great first rig. From what I hear one good thing is the design of the rig causes the reserve to fire more "over your head and forward" then straight off of your back. That could come in handy in some malfunctions.

Dolphin is a great first rig. From what I hear one good thing is the design of the rig causes the reserve to fire more "over your head and forward" then straight off of your back. That could come in handy in some malfunctions.

i think that might be a problem if you are flying a camera at the time..... but hey what do i know.

i have almost all of my jumps on a dolphin and i fly belly and fast. I only had one peoblem and it was when the riser covers came undont and pulled out a break line. This cause all kind of mess and led to my just saying screw it this is why i have a reserve.

im no expert by anymeans but i bought an used infinity instead... and it will be ready to jump in a week so i am excited!!
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

it will be ready to jump in a week so i am excited!!

Enjoy........ infinity's are great, I had one, but got such a great deal on my Reflex that I had to sell mine..........but my next rig will be a Infinity..... Kelly Rocks!!!

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I agree about this price difference. Used to be a lot more spread.

However I have about 950 jumps on Dolphins and have been happy with them.

I have never had a problem with the container.

But since I am now into speedskydiving....

Don't go away mad....just go away!

Check out the Dolphin package at Rigs 'n Things.

http://marketplace.amazia.com/para-service/prodinfo.asp?cn=250984&affid=&sku=AF3801&page=9&pagenumber=1&inverrmsg=

If you upgrade to a Sabre 2, it will cost about $2800, which is not a bad deal for a new rig.

Mine arrived yesterday. I have not jumped it yet, but I can say that I'm very satisfied with customer service and speed of delivery. Roy Torgierson (sp?) at Rigs 'n Things was a pleasure to deal with.

i got dolphin as my first rig. it was complete rig with PD-190, Tempo-170 and Cypress. $1700 for the whole thing. Jumped it for a year, was very happy with it and then sold it. For the same $1700. not bad, huh ? B|

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Check out the Dolphin package at Rigs 'n Things.

http://marketplace.amazia.com/para-service/prodinfo.asp?cn=250984&affid=&sku=AF3801&page=9&pagenumber=1&inverrmsg=

If you upgrade to a Sabre 2, it will cost about $2800, which is not a bad deal for a new rig.

Mine arrived yesterday. I have not jumped it yet, but I can say that I'm very satisfied with customer service and speed of delivery. Roy Torgierson (sp?) at Rigs 'n Things was a pleasure to deal with.

Problems is I all ready have brand new canopies, I just need something to stuff them in. Getting used gear is out because I am a big jumper flying a Safire 2 269 and a R-Max 288 which means that I have trouble finding used rigs that fit either me or my canopies, and never both.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Problems is I all ready have brand new canopies, I just need something to stuff them in.

Ah, I see. Then check out this link.

http://parachuteshop.com/dolphin.htm

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to insert a hypelink.)
This was the best deal I could find on a Dolphin by itself: $790.

here you go made it a clicky...

oh... to do it press the little "url" button on the right immediately below the text input box then type in the website address (or you can cut and past) just press the "url" button again and vola you've got a link.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Problems is I all ready have brand new canopies, I just need something to stuff them in.

Ah, I see. Then check out this link.

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to insert a hypelink.)
This was the best deal I could find on a Dolphin by itself: $790.

Thanks a lot! That's defiantely a significant enough of a price savings to make a Dolphin look real atractive.

-Blind

the rig that says "I'm cheap and I don't care who knows it!"

I jumped twice today, performing a backloop and several barrel rolls. The Dolphin performed well and was comfortable both times. I can't imagine that I'd have gotten a significantly better deal by spending more money. A more expensive harness may provide features that would matter to an experienced skydiver, but the Dolphin does everything I need it to do. If not buying more than I can use makes me cheap, so be it. :)

>If not buying more than I can use makes me cheap, so be it.

It may be more then you can use now, but when you are freeflying at 160+ mph or wingsuiting it.. you'll want all the container that you can get.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It may be more then you can use now, but when you are freeflying at 160+ mph or wingsuiting it.. you'll want all the container that you can get.

Ok, then let me ask another question to those of you familiar with Dolphins. I had heard that the Dolphin 2000 was freefly friendly, is that true? That's an issue for me becuase even if I'm not freeflying, I can break 200 mph in a hard arch.

-Blind

Hi Eric,
If the rig is a major consideration for wingsuit flying, why do I see so many ppl using "OLD" talons, Vectors and the like (read Lots of Velcro) for 2nd rigs to leave on BMsuits?
(never having jumped a suit I'm not sure of the requirments)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Generally most the people I fly with have new state of the art gear. Flying on your back is not a time to test velcro. If you won't freefly in a rig, I would'nt Birdman it.

As for the Dolphin 2000, is that the tuck tabs, tucktabs with snaps or just the snaps version? The main flap still is velcro so its just got to be super maintained as does the spandex BOC.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Generally most the people I fly with have new state of the art gear. Flying on your back is not a time to test velcro. If you won't freefly in a rig, I would'nt Birdman it.

My thoughts as well, especially with aerobatics happening and now with some people doing a bit of freefly in their BirdMan suits.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have 80 jumps on my Dolphin. And I use to freefly it even knowing it is not a FF friendly gear. My main is a Sabre 170 and I never had even a twist. I keep the velcro and the BOC expandex well mantained. My gear is checked by a rigger 4 times a year. Now that I started headown, I bought a new equipment (Icon, Pilot 150, Smart 150) and it will arrive next month.

So, I really recommend the Dolphin and if you want to upgrade it for a more FF friendly gear. Call Altico that they are really friendly - I would do that, but I was thinking about downsizing and Aerodyne prices were really attractive.