Perche61

How would you feel if your rigger smoked dope?

*ROFLMAO* the coolest poll I've ever seen *BG*.

But if you want to hear my opinion: If my rigger smoked a bit, I wouldn't be worried about that.
Smoking is the one thing, rigging the other.
If the rigger is conscientiously, he will make his job good, not depending on smoking dope or not.

Don't be a Lutz!

For at least the first decade of my jumping career I was the only person I knew who didn't smoke dope (or drink). I'm not a mormon, just an aberration. I would have had to quit jumping. Even though I don't partake, I am with the posters who lumped it together with drinking beer.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

How do you feel about it? That is the important thing. Not what anyone else thinks. Do you feel that what he does affects his work? Before I became a rigger, the man I took my rig to drank beer. He just didn't drink while he was working... the beer was his 'personal treat' for when he was done for the day. I don't see where it means a thing, as long as it is not 'on the job'. If, it makes you nervous, find another rigger. Personally, I don't drink or smoke.

Chuck

you are missing the option: I don't care if he smokes dope, just so long as he doesn't do it before and during rigging operations.

the only option on there for "I don't care" says that you smoke dope too... thats not true for me.

MB 3528, RB 1182

A lot can be said about this thread. On one side of the argument, you could argue that as long as the rigger is not high during or before the repack, he should be able to do his job to the best of his ability. On the more conservative side, one could argue that the riggers decisiion to smoke marijuana reflects his decision-making processes and abilities.

I would take my business elsewhere. Enough Said..:|

Edited for gramatical purposes only.
=========Shaun ==========

Furthermore, I thought we learned from several well-known instances (Which I will not bring up, no point in stirring up muck....) that Skydiving + Marijuana = Trouble!!!!

I've watched people get stoned and then go jump (At several Dropzones) - I informed manifest and the cheif I and they jumped anyways. Scared the hell out of me.
=========Shaun ==========

Narc! heh.....I wouldn't consider it a big deal as long as he's not stoned when he's working. I don't see any difference with a rigger who drinks or smokes. As long as he's not doing during his work hours its none of my business.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I hope ya'll understand the importance of this question, we'll see.

I'd rather he smoke pot than drink alchohol - the former means no chance of him geting hung over and puking on my rig.

More seriously, as long as the guy isn't under the influence when packing (or flying, driving, etc). it doesn't matter what he uses.

doesn't reallymatter as long as he packs my reserve before he smokes dope or does any kind of drug or alcohol........... asl ong as it's not imparing him/her at the monment they are packing........

I guess it means nothing to the skydiving community, which I am part of, that smoking pot, and being a federally licensed individual, whether it be a pilot, rigger, or A&P, that one chooses to violate federal regulations and smoke dope and fly airplanes, fix airplanes and fix or pack parachutes to put it in simple terms for simple minds. Wow, I choose to not be part of that.

BASE # 536

Not to mention the tandem dudes and dudettes, who are also federally attached by their FAA Medical Certificates.

FAR Sec. 65.12

Offenses involving alcohol or drugs.

(a) A conviction for the violation of any Federal or state statute relating to the growing, processing, manufacture, sale, disposition, possession, transportation, or importation of narcotic drugs, marihuana, or depressant or stimulant drugs or substances is grounds for --
(1) Denial of an application for any certificate or rating issued under this part for a period of up to 1 year after the date of final conviction; or
(2) Suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating issued under this part.
(b) The commission of an act prohibited by §91.19(a) of this chapter is grounds for --
(1) Denial of an application for a certificate or rating issued under this part for a period of up to 1 year after the date of that act; or
(2) Suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating issued under this part.

If you get busted you lose your rating. How seriously would you take someone who puts their own ratings at risk just to smoke a J?

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I hope ya'll understand the importance of this question, we'll see.

Not really. Why is that after 22 years in the sport of skydiving that this is suddenly a concern?

You must have some view on the legal and most commonly used and abused mind altering drug, alcohol. What is it? I'm not saying during the act of rigging I'm talking about what a person does on their own time?

Does this person have a constant use problem or does this person occasionally smoke? I've met very talented riggers that occasionally partake. I've met even more that drink alcohol an a much more regular basis.

That can be said about lawyers, carpenters, pilots, CEOs of large and small companies, bakers, and lets not forget just the ordinary non rated skydiver ... you get the picture. Sport parachuting is very small in the grand scheme of things.

People do many things on their own time and after 22 years in the sport, I'm confident in saying, I'm sure you've been witness to plenty of questionable activities.

Sorry man, I can't answer your poll. It's a bit empty.

... edit... To be clear, I don't partake in the use of "dope"
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How seriously would you take someone who puts their own ratings at risk just to smoke a J?

I think I would judge that person on how much pride they take in their work, and the quality they put out. Not on how they choose to spend their own time. I'm a pretty good judge of character. But, to each his own.
my pics & stuff!

What do i think. Well i manage a Papa John's Pizza and i don't like my drivers to smoke before they work. But to tell you even if they only smoke afterward it can affect their work. But so can cold medicine.
If i had any question about my riggers ability i would take the work else where. So i guess this is me saying i don't like the ideas of riggers smoking.
I don't smoke but i do drink.
Drinking falls under such a different guidline to me. Still don't want my rigger having a beer before he does my repack.

Patrick

I had a rigger that I cut a lot of slack for. I knew he toked but who cared. I figured he would never do it and pack.
That's what I thought.
Even when I had a reserve ride in the states and the rigger there (after looking at my rig) took me aside and told me not to trust my rigger anymore, I still got him to pack it.
Even after he was seen smoking up before a Tandem, I still refused to believe it and still got him to pack it.
Even after I heard that he left velcro in freebags I had him pack it.

I could really go on for a long time about this rigger but we don't have the hours.
The point is two fold.
1.) a bad rigger just may toke and pack. Not because he partakes but because he's a bad rigger
2.) Riggers are looked at the same way we look at Doctors. We think that ours is the best. We have to have faith in them because our lives could wind up in thier hands. Make sure that the trust is deserved and do it by educating yourself.

The real issue is not what they do, but how responsible they are with it!
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I would not be happy if I had burn holes in my reserve because the rigger was smokeing while packing my reserve.

I prefer to use a rigger that uses a checklist when packing my reserve, and that they return the checklist with my rig to insure they didn't forget something.

Smoking dope is illegal, immoral, will lead to harder drugs and all that bad stuff, professional riggers wouldn't smoke that shit just in case I require a piss test just to be sure.:)
Bad news my rig is always wet when I get it back from my riggger and it smells.:S >:(

R.I.P.