skybytch

PD's new reserve

*sigh*

I wish they hadn't. There is nothing wrong with the product. In fact I'm sure it's one of the highest quality reserves out there.

PD makes a great reserve, but I can't think of 10 skydivers that should be flying that thing. It's an unfortunate fact that those that wish to "be cool" are only going to look at the 220 Max weight suggested and decide their 180 pound ass can jump it.

I hope dealers remember that they might just have a moral obligation to protect themselve, the sport, and maybe the jumper trying to by one. I know Lisa and I will. Both Aerodyne and PD have created these 99 sq ft canopies (as well as the rest of their products) as tools for the proper athletes. I just hope people remember to use them right.

1.8 and above is a bad idea for a low porosity 7 cell design.

Edit: to check some info....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

And landing the thing at a 1.8 w/l, unconscious and off-field might really suck.

Seriously, what could possibly be a valid reason for anybody using this size reserve?

Vanity is the only one I can think of, if you can even call that valid.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Seriously, what could possibly be a valid reason for anybody using this size reserve?

Well someone who is 90-110lbs and experienced would be alright, but I can't think of a container that this would fit in the the 106 wouldn't.

I agree with you, diablopilot. It 'should' be a moral issue with dealers to be really careful about who they sell one of those little things to. I see, so many 'newbies' watching the guys/gals with thousands of jumps on small elipticals and then come to me and want a 135-Stiletto. I have no problem telling them NO! I agree also, a small person 80 - 100lbs. with loads of experience sure, but, not someone with low jump numbers. The equipment does not a skydiver make!

Chuck

Well someone who is 90-110lbs and experienced would be alright, but I can't think of a container that this would fit in the the 106 wouldn't.

That's what I was thinking. I'm small enough that I'd only have a 1.2-1.3 WL on it. But there is no container that will only fit the 99. Therefore, why not get the largest reserve you can? Thats why I have my 113. Now, if there was a smaller container I think it would be great. I'd love to have a rig that doesn't sit on my butt.

>Seriously, what could possibly be a valid reason for anybody using
>this size reserve?

Cause they want a small container, and many container manufacturers still make containers with larger main than reserve sizing. So if they jump a 99 main, they have a choice of getting a PD143 with a main container sized for a 150-170, or they can get a 99 sq ft reserve and go with a main container sized for a 107.

Dumb? Yes. But I believe that's one reason people do it.

Ok, on the topic of manufactures being irresponsible: skybitchs post reminded me of something i heard the other day..

Cani Lands Smallest Parachute (05/12/04)

Brazilian jumper Luigi Cani reportedly landed an Icarus VX 39 (square feet) at Perris Valley Skydiving, near Los Angeles, May 12. Several jumpers have landed a VX 46, but Cani and Icarus Canopies believe this is the smallest parachute jumped and landed to date. The smallest known commercially available parachute is the Atair Onyx 55.

39 square feet?!?!?! come on... I don't think the canapy manufactures should be encouraging this.. i think its kinda irresponsible of icarus....

-Seth :)

Ok, on the topic of manufactures being irresponsible

I don't feel PD is being irresponsible by releasing this size reserve. It's been ready to go, TSO'd and tested, but they've been sitting on it for over a year. They wouldn't have released it if they didn't think there is a market for it. As JP said, hopefully all of their dealers will be responsible in who they sell them to.

39 square feet?!?!?! come on... I don't think the canapy manufactures should be encouraging this.. i think its kinda irresponsible of icarus....

It's irresponsible of a canopy manufacturer to build a canopy that small as a research tool and then ask one of the world's best canopy pilots to fly it? Sorry, I disagree.

Pushing the limits by experienced and talented people is how the sport grows. I doubt 99% of skydivers will ever fly something anywhere near that small, but who knows? Fifteen years ago the thought of flying a sub-100 sq ft parachute was considered to be nuts by most jumpers and look how many jumpers fly them today...

You need to understand that the key words here are R&D (Research & Development).

These tests have not the goal to release the VX 39 to the general public making it available for anyone with more or less experience and willing to buy it.

The canopy manufacturers now placed at the edge of the R&D regarding high performance canopies (Icarus, Atair, Precision, ..., just to mention some) have been doing things that would be considered beyond extreme by the majority of the skydivers and public, but required to keep improving technicals and safety of the skydiving gear.

Test pilots push their limits everyday, but that's why they are test pilots: they do stuff that nobody else does... and if limits are always being pushed from where they are now, test pilots will quite often find themselves in situations that they have never ever experienced before.

Nobody knows how far R&D can reach, but all of us need to understand that these kind of tests will bring benefits even for bigger sized canopies: the purpose here is not just the downsizing factor.

Regarding Icarus, as for the VX 46 project, they have now a VX 39 project... and probably they won't stop here. Just remember that Atair test pilots already jumped but not landed a Cobalt 25, and Precision test pilots also jumped but not landed a XAOS 21... so it's likely that Icarus is and will be doing the very same track on the pursuit of the excelence required by canopy buyers.

The real purpose of any canopy manufacturer while doing this kind of stuff, is well described here:

Icarus’s motivation to pursue this type of testing results from our pursuit to lead the industry in parachute designs across the experience spectrum. Testing our design capabilities and theories at this level has a direct benefit to the entire Icarus range and parachute technology as a whole. (...)

NOTE: Flying canopies at this level should only be conducted by factory test pilots under controlled conditions.

http://www.icaruscanopies.com/canopies/EXTreme_VX/EXTremeVX46.htm

The last paragraph of the quote shows these guys (Icarus or any other manufacturer) are not irresponsible or just nuts. They care as well about their test pilots and impose them restrictions whenever they feel things can go out of control or that their lives have a higher than affordable probability to be put at risk.

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Encouraging what? The use of test pilots to push the limits of our sport? Does it seem to you that they are marketing the 39 as Luigi's everyday canopy? High performance canopies arent for everybody and I can see many "ban hook turn" enthusiasts as seeing this as irresponsible activity but in fact it is anything but.

And besides, I believe the discussion was the shrinking sizes of reserves, not mains. 2 totally different ballgames.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

And landing the thing at a 1.8 w/l, unconscious and off-field might really suck.

Vanity is the only one I can think of, if you can even call that valid.

It's all about vanity, always has been. Jumpers have wanted smaller and smaller stuff for 25 years or more. If some one is vain enough to actually have one of these in their rig then they may as well sell their AAD because they are not going to need it. landing unconcious on concrete or hitting the corner of a building would in all probability be fatal.

Mick.

Just got a press release from PD regarding the release of a new reserve size. It's a 99. :o

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scottish rant!
Are they nuts?
I am still angry at PD for releasing the PD113R!
It was never the smallest reserve on the market!
Precision and PISA were already building smaller reserves!
But those silly container manufacturers followed fashion in building even smaller reserve containers to fit it!
Why I remember packing the first PD113R - on the West Coast - for Dale Stuart!
Up hill!
Both ways!
In the snow!
Broke my back!

Looking over everyones gear in the classifieds I have came to a conclusion that ><75%+- of the jumpers have a reserve smaller than their main to make the rig smaller/lighter. I mean, some people buy the smallest main that they can stand without spooking the crap out of themselves, and then they get a reserve smaller than that. It might be ok to land it if you are awake, but what if you got knocked out? I think it should be manditory that your main/reserve be the same size or bigger.

Yeppers. All the experience in the world won't mean shit when you're unconscious or broken, dangling under a heavily loaded F1-11 7-cell.

I guess I am glad companies like Mirage build containers to house your little mini-turf surfer as well as a somewhat adequate-sized reserve.

My thought is: If I wouldn't BASE a certain-sized reserve off the big span in WV, I have no business thinking it's an acceptable last-resort canopy.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

All this outrage over PD's new 99 sq. ft. reserve..... Any guesses on how PD’s 99 compares, size wise, to PA's MR-109-M. Hint: it isn't 10 sq. ft. smaller. Numbers is one thing, actual size is another, and the bottom line is performance regardless of sq. ft.

Vanity? Maybe, but how many people crying foul have 1000+ jumps and jump a main and reserve over 200 sq. ft.?

I hate to admit it, or encourage anyone to downsize for this reason, but a smaller/lighter rig allows a skydiver to turn, track, and move faster. Once the rig is narrow enough that it is out of the air stream, it no longer plays a role in drag, etc and allows to skydiver to fly better. Of course jumping a small rig simply to improve free fall performance is stupid, especially if the performance of the main or reserve is outside your abilities.

Derek

Encouraging what? The use of test pilots to push the limits of our sport? Does it seem to you that they are marketing the 39 as Luigi's everyday canopy? High performance canopies arent for everybody and I can see many "ban hook turn" enthusiasts as seeing this as irresponsible activity but in fact it is anything but.

Exactly. He's been jumping it all week on a special project, and has been cutting it away, rather than landing it.

Looking over everyones gear in the classifieds I have came to a conclusion that ><75%+- of the jumpers have a reserve smaller than their main to make the rig smaller/lighter.

In my last 5 years spent selling gear I can say that's not true anymore.

Years ago that may have been the trend, but a majority of the systems sold today are either the same size or reserve is slighly bigger than the main.

Yeah.......... right, Same thing about who think a man on the moon will be a good idea?
- It's all about research and development like somebody already said so it's all good.;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

In my last 5 years spent selling gear I can say that's not true anymore.

Years ago that may have been the trend, but a majority of the systems sold today are either the same size or reserve is slighly bigger than the main.

And i believe THIS thread confirms that.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I am trying to find the time to put together some information for the forum, with regards to measuring and sizing canopies. There is no standard, and it creates difficulty to size containers correctly and for people to make an educated guess as to if the canopy is suited for their ability, proficiency, suspended weight, field elevation etc.

However with due respect to frequent forum visitors and having watched the flaming that takes place when a manufacturer does post something of this nature, it may take me sometime.

What I can say is this. You can only fit a pint of water in a pint size bottle or larger. In other words, if it packs larger it probably is larger. (please note the word probably) and secondly not all parachutes are sized equal. As a skydiver and as an instructor I would have to say, make sure of what size the canopy you think of buying is, and measure the competitive product you are evaluating in the same manner, before making your final bid. You may be very surprised.

blue ones

Bushman

Edward Anderson
Chief Of Operations
Aerodyne Research.

and secondly not all parachutes are sized equal. reply]

Why is there gray area about how to size a canopy? It seems that a physical dimension should be easy for anybody to measure, and there shouldn't be different measurements for the same piece of nylon. I've heard this a few times and never quite understood. Could you shed some light on this?

It seems that a physical dimension should be easy for anybody to measure, and there shouldn't be different measurements for the same piece of nylon.

Imagine if you will measuring the botom skin of a canopy and using that as your size.

Now imagine measuring the top skin WHILE INFLATED, and using that as your size.

now with either of those do you include the stabilizers or not?

Starting to become clear as mud? Good. Been that murky in the industry for YEARS.

One thing which is bugging me:

Why is that so difficult to get a container which fits a 150 reserve and a 107 main? All the people I jump with have smaller mains (non crossbraced) than reserves. I like your company a lot, but looking at the sizing chart , I do not understand why you encourage jumpers to jump same size of main / reserve or smaller reserves than the main.

e.g you can combine a 120 reserve and a 150 main, but not a 150 reserve and a 120 main :S

At the moment only a few manufacturers are able to satisfy my needs. I had to buy one of the smallest 150 reserves (packing volume) to fit the container.

Am I the only one thinking like this??? I landed 150 reserve a few times and this is no fun. I only know one manufacturer (Sunrise Rigging) who have a "proper" sizing scheme.. My friend jumping a 150 reserve and a Nitro 88 in his Wings. Is that one point which makes this company so popular these days?

blues
Marcus

edit: to add more info