bluewaterstream

Bridle Deterioration

While packing my main the other night I noticed that the nut of the rapide link located inside of the deployment bag has gradually been shredding away at the bridle. (** See pics **) I don't think that it reached through to the kill line yet, but I'm not 100% sure. Nevertheless, with the bridle looking the way it does it definitely didn't seem air worthy to me, so I decided not to jump this weekend.

So, how common is this? Can something other than a rapide link be used inside of the d-bag? Or maybe a little tape around the nut of the rapide link to cover up the sharp edges would do the trick, preventing the edges of the nut from scraping against the bridle during deployment.

I have never seen this , But you might could use a small piece of surgical tubing to slide over this area.
just an idea. Not really sure if that would work or not but it seems like it would.
As always check with a qualified rigger before modifying anything.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

Rigging Innovations uses a split ring that has reduced or eliminated that type of wear.

Another option we've started using at Atlanta Skydiving Center is PD Slinks. We're using Slinks on the bridle attachments inside Mirage main deployment bags.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I like Chuting Star's idea about using Slinks™.

I'm curious about the condition of the grommet. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if it has "coned" up from repeated banging against the link, and the grommet edge looks like it is slightly unseated -- a snag point for canopy fabric.

Mark

I have seen this before. The first time, was on a Talon 'D'-bag. I replaced the grommet and repaired the bridle and tacked the Rapide Link to the webbing re-inforcement for the grommet. I have also seen a lot of wear to the area where the pilot-chute attaches to the bridle. Again, this was on a Talon.
Great idea, using a SLINK, rather than a Rapide Link. I've seen a lot of innovative ideas come from Chuting Star Rigging.

Chuck

Yep, It happend to me last week. When I went cock my pilot chute, the rapid link was completely seperated from the bridle just hanging on the kill line. I couldn't cock my pilot chute anymore and had to stop jumping.

Do you really want to try to fix somthing like this?
Get a new bridle.

Yep, It happend to me last week. When I went cock my pilot chute, the rapid link was completely seperated from the bridle just hanging on the kill line. I couldn't cock my pilot chute anymore and had to stop jumping.

Do you really want to try to fix somthing like this?
Get a new bridle.

Why not repair it? At least he noticed it before it broke.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Get it replaced or repaired, then rotate the link so the barrel nut is on the other side. It looks to me that the bridle has been getting pinched between the edge of the barrel nut and the grommet, causing the damage.

Also refer to the manufacturer's intructions to make sure the kill line PC is installed correctly.
Arrive Safely

John

Do you really want to try to fix something like this? Get a new bridle.

I already put in an order a few weeks ago for a new collapsible pc and bridle, so I just need to wait until I receive them.

My questions were more in reference to avoiding this situation with my new pc & bridle setup. I like the idea that has been suggested about using PD Slinks, so I think I'll talk to my rigger about this option when I receive my new pc.

Can you even buy Slinks individually? When I replaced the rapide links on my risers, the Slinks came in a package of four.

I'm curious about the condition of the grommet. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if it has "coned" up from repeated banging against the link, and the grommet edge looks like it is slightly unseated

I think that may be due to the camera angle. The grommet looks OK to me, but I'll definitely have my rigger take a look at it too.

I doubt there is anything wrong with that bridle that a rigger couldn't fix in ten minutes. You might want to get it fixed so now you have a spare.

Rigging Innovations uses a metal loop like the one found on a key chain. And when my girlfriends rapid link somehow dislodged itself, we used a key chain ring to fix it....after getting a rigger to inspect it.

Also, if you want to use a slink, a rigger can probably make one for you.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

In what way do you envision this causing a reserve ride?

A comment about the split ring: I would make sure that the split ring has NO sharp edges on it, otherwise you are back to a deteriorating piece of equipment again.

A comment about Slinks: I would worry about this binding up in the grommet and not allowing the PC to collapse all the way. I have never tried this, nor seen it, but that would be what I would test first. And yes, I would just make a pseudo-slink vs. buying a set of 4.

j

More pictures of bridal wear

These are pictures from my rig taken in January. The Monarch 175 had slammed this rig so many times the center grommet on the dbag was coned inside and had a pronounced edge that was causing bridal wear (presumably). There may have been some pinching, but I believe it was caused by edges on the beat up grommet.

This is a normal wear pattern.
This is why you should pay your rigger to inspect your main every 100 jumps or once a year.

Damage to the grommet - in your d-bag - was happened when your pilot chute lifted it out of your container. Type of canopy is irrelevant.

At the same time, the inner bridle got pinched between two pieces of metal and the bridle lost.
I doubt if a slink will work, as it is not bulky enough to avoid slipping through the grommet.

Finally your slider grommets were damaged when they slammed against connector links - at the bottom end of your lines. There are two ways to prevent slamming slider grommets: install silicone bumpers or install soft links.

Split ring? Not sure exactly what that is but one thing I heard worked really well (but have been to lazy to try myself) is the keyring off a keychain. Is that you guys are talking about?

...just thread the keyring through the loops like you're putting a key on the ring, and the absence of the barrel eliminates the stress point that causes most of the wear.

Elvisio "don't pack your keys into your main" Rodriguez

Rigging Innovations uses a split ring that has reduced or eliminated that type of wear.

Another option we've started using at Atlanta Skydiving Center is PD Slinks. We're using Slinks on the bridle attachments inside Mirage main deployment bags.

Mike

Mike,

It seems that one of the rapide link's purposes in these pictures is to keep the deployment bag from sliding down the bridle toward the pilot chute (the rapide link will not fit through that grommet). So if a Slink is used instead, will the deployment bag remain near the canopy's bridle attachment point, or will the bag slide down over the pilot chute?

Chris Warnock

It seems that one of the rapide link's purposes in these pictures is to keep the deployment bag from sliding down the bridle toward the pilot chute (the rapide link will not fit through that grommet). So if a Slink is used instead, will the deployment bag remain near the canopy's bridle attachment point, or will the bag slide down over the pilot chute?

Chris Warnock

We are using reserve Slinks which are thicker than main Slinks. We have been unable to create the problem you have described with the Mirage D-bags. There could be issues with deployment bags that have larger grommets.
Hope that helps,
Mike
ChutingStar.com

We are using reserve Slinks which are thicker than main Slinks. We have been unable to create the problem you have described with the Mirage D-bags. There could be issues with deployment bags that have larger grommets.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Ok, interesting. I'm unfamilar with PD's Reserve Slinks. It makes sense that they'd be a good bit thicker

Chris