NWFlyer

Next time you're at the DZ: What will YOU do to improve canopy safety?

Stolen from a post in Incidents from riggerpaul - I really liked this and thought it could spark a discussion about the "little things" we each can to do contribute to the greater safety of the dropzone:

People need to stop saying how little they can do while doing nothing at all.

People need to do what they can, no matter how little they may think their contribution is.

Nothing will get better if nobody starts to fix things.

It is not some else's problem.

It is your problem, and my problem and our friends' problem.

Now WE need to start fixing it.

In that spirit, what are you going to do next time you're at the DZ?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm going to make sure that landing patterns and direction gets discussed in the loading area, especially if it's a L&V wind day, which is where things tend to get less predictable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm going to make sure that landing patterns and direction gets discussed in the loading area, especially if it's a L&V wind day, which is where things tend to get less predictable.

plus 1

how about a big screen or something similar with areal image of LZ, depicting a current landing pattern...

I will continue to do what I have always done - land in the landing area where the fewest number of people are going to land. As with your idea - this means communication before the load.

We have two LZs separated by the runway and tandems/video tend to land on the one nearest the hangar. I land on the far one. I am often the only person out there.

If there are large numbers of people who fly sketchy patterns (in my experience these tend to be the old RW guys) I will not get on that load.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I printed and had laminated the two prevalent wind conditions at my DZ showing the separate landing patterns (HP and Non-HP), staging areas, and "no fly zones". I worked it out with the S&TA and our DZO and had agreement before I got them printed.

I then organized a discussion with the entire dropzone after sunset load on Saturday that included the DZO. We agreed to make some subtle changes to language and make the diagrams a bit more "user friendly".

It was agreed that enforcement was going to happen and violation of the landing patterns was not going to be tolerated. The posters include the following language next to the landing patter diagrams:

-VERTICAL SEPARATION IS REQUIRED

-After opening & control checks, proceed to your staging
area immediately. Land away from the main landing area if you can't cross the other style pattern landing area above 1,500 FT.

- Spiraling in the staging areas below 2,000 FT, except to gain vertical separation, will not be tolerated.

-Based on the wind direction, what does your landing pattern look like? Discuss with others before loading. BE VOCAL & BE HEARD

-Who are the HP canopy pilots on this load and do they exit in front or behind you?

-Where is the staging area for each landing area? (HP and Non-HP areas)

-If you fly through the wrong pattern area below 1,500 FT you may be grounded immediately.

Additionally, I volunteered to mow some areas to make it an attractive area to land for non-hp canopy pilots (when winds are from the southwest).

Its a start...and our meeting on Saturday was awesome.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

..and in that spirit, let me make a blanket reccomendation to everyone.

The best thing that every jumper of every skill or experience level can do is to e-mail the DZO and S&TA, and ask them what can be done at their DZ to improve everyone's safety under canopy. Offer to assist in any way from brainstorming, printing flyers, organizing a canopy control class, or even serviing coffee at a canopy control class.

Not everyone is in a position of influence at their DZ, nor has the technical knowledge to even offer up their own solution to the problem. What they can do, is express their support of additional efforts in the direction of safety under canopy, their willingness to abide by and help promote additional structure in that area, and offer to help the cause in any way that can be of use.

The DZO and S&TA can ignore one person, but if they get ten similar e-mails, that amounts to a public outcry. If jumpers follow up on those e-mails in person next time they're at the DZ, it pushes the issue even further.

The point has been repeated over and over that if DZOs would get tough, jumpers will have no choice but to toe the line. Well that's a two-way street, because the jumpers have a degree of control over the DZO in that if they band together, and insist on a community-wide change to include stricter rules on the DZ, real sanctions for breaking them and then those jumpers stand behind those rules and make it 'that way or the high-way' something could be achieved.

It's going to take an effort and commitment from everyone. Nothing will change unless the DZO puts their foot down and stands behind it, the jumpers accept the new way of doing things, and don't hesitate to 'out' anyone who doesn't want to play by the new rules.

Mind my own business and don't hit anybody or get in anybody's way.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

I've started talking to all my friends and have encouraged them to do what I'm going to do which is make sure the landing direction is agreed on every load and that we talk to people who land contrary to the agreed pattern. We should also make every effort to separate our HP landings into a separate end of the LZ (we don't have a whole lot of space) and/or via time.

I'll also be working especially hard not to make mistakes myself and accept criticism from whoever offers it even if it stings my ego.

Change starts at home people.

Think I'm pretty lucky to start developing my consciousness at a DZ that has some pretty amazing S&TA's and a group of highly experienced locals. There are a lot of visitors and there is a concerted effort to keep everyone aware of how to keep it safe. In the very few instances I've seen close calls the skydivers involved talked it out.... In other cases it's simple just to pass on the information shared by the S&TA's when something may not be caught by them. On only one occasion I've said something to other jumpers and it's really just as easy as pointing them to the sign at the loading area.

It may just be my ignorance, but I think the S&TA's and local jumpers at my DZ do a great job of keeping it safe. Perhaps the best thing that can be done is to have S&TA's that have a passion for keeping it safe and to nurture a culture that is respectful of the knowledge they have to impart and passing it on. However, in relation to "HP" landings this example might not be the best as it's caped at 90's here.

IDK. I'm just going to continue to keep my head on a swivel, listen to others when they are talking about actions that might put others lives in jeopardy and passing it on when given the chance... Seems simple really.

It was agreed that enforcement was going to happen and violation of the landing patterns was not going to be tolerated.

Honestly interested-What is the enforcement going to be?
Grounded? For how long?
And does it apply to everyone including staff?

I am going to time landings between jumpers and log them as to what they are doing...swooping/camera...students, tandems...then maybe devise a rating system that would be something like a "needs no improvement" or "needs lots of improvement" chart. IF it's anything to report, I'll talk with the owners, they are very open to suggestions. Otherwise, I'm just curious to see what all comes up. From the last time I was out there, I can tell you that the students who had the most landing area were the ones off their patterns and swoopers were not the cause of two near misses.

Instead of me giving/drawing wind-briefings to students I'll ask the students to draw their circuit on the board and explain. Then ask if the rest agrees with this and give input. This helps them to use their brain and learn and not just follow my instructions.

For myself, I'll keep filming 4-ways and opening at 4500 ft and stay in the brakes as long as I can to clear as much airspace as possible and try to land last and have all the room to make my swoop.
Blue skies!

Instead of me giving/drawing wind-briefings to students I'll ask the students to draw their circuit on the board and explain. Then ask if the rest agrees with this and give input. This helps them to use their brain and learn and not just follow my instructions.

For myself, I'll keep filming 4-ways and opening at 4500 ft and stay in the brakes as long as I can to clear as much airspace as possible and try to land last and have all the room to make my swoop.

After all the recent incidents-So are you saying that even if you're not quite the last to land or the next load is already approaching that you'll still make your swoop???
:S:S:S

We will do community enforcement. If someone see something and is not comfortable discussing with the individual, they are to come to staff and we'll deal with it. Blatant disregard for the patterns will result in groundings.

1st time infractions based on confusion or in-experience will be dealt with in an educational/informational way. Repeated "not getting it" will be dealt with by remedial training (hop and pops to demonstrate compliance with pattern rules for example) and grounding if necessary.

Everyone is on board and we are trying to make a difference.

Edit: Yes this includes staff.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I can't think of a better thread to post this in. I have been considering the role of self regulation in all of this, and how it might help. With time on my hands, I did a bit of reading and found an interesting article http://www.li.suu.edu/library/circulation/Elison/psy4500jeSociometerSelfEsteemRegulationFall05.pdf

In summary it would appear that peer pressure is effective IF you have a relationship. So by extension a dz that has a club or family feel to it is more likely to self regulate. Whereas a dz that is more business orientated can't rely on "customers" to self regulate. What is interesting is that BillVon posted the Eloy document that stated visitors were more likely to be injured. This would correlate with the fact that as "outsiders", they have less need to behave in a socially responsible manner.

Possibly trying to keep the same instructor(s) with a student through their A license progression will help to build a bond? Also if more responsible jumpers spend time getting to know newbies it will help to draw them into the fold. I realize that this is a bit "touchy feely" but I think it is relevant.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

This would correlate with the fact that as "outsiders", they have less need to behave in a socially responsible manner.

This is an interesting twist on the Eloy data and is probably some of the picture. I think a big part of what contributes to the statistic is that a place like Eloy (especially during a big event) is drastically different than "home" for a lot of visiting jumpers. If you've only ever jumped in a DZ that has a 182, or even a mid-sized plane like a Cessna or PAC, and suddenly you're at Eloy in the middle of the Holiday Boogie with 3 Otters turning ... it can be a bit much!

Also if more responsible jumpers spend time getting to know newbies it will help to draw them into the fold. I realize that this is a bit "touchy feely" but I think it is relevant.

I try really hard to do this; just getting to know the newbies and letting them know I'm available for questions (or to refer them to someone who knows more if I'm stumped or not 100% sure) helps.

I also try to set a consistent example - I'm often among the first to pull off an organized jump if the winds start getting squirrely or very high. If I'm the only one, that's cool, but sometimes I can inspire someone else to sit down, too, then we can go out in the landing area and watch the effect turbulence has on canopies. :S

I got deluged with inquiries from people after these two accidents.
They all started off with 'What the hell is going on at Perris?'

I tried to set up a meeting with Dan, Melanie & Scott, the RD, over the weekend, but the logistics were not there.

So the next step was email. Then next weekend, hopefully we can have a conversation.

Here are my emails to Perris:

Hi Dan and Melanie,

These are some of my suggestions to improve the canopy traffic patterns at Perris.

1. Disallow double manifesting.
Double manifesting (people on back-to-backs) provides an incentive for people to 'get down faster'. They may cut corners on an otherwise conventional pattern. They may think that they are alone in the pattern when they are not and may relax their vigilance in looking for traffic.
There are so many available slots on planes at Perris that there is no justifiable reason to allow double manifesting.

2. Do not allow anyone to do speed induced landing approaches - even if they are only 90s.
Canopy speeds have increased dramatically and are a contributing factor in collisions. There is less time to see and avoid others. Slowing things down will allow people to scan their surrounding area and see and avoid others.

3. Have a landing direction indicator.
This would be a new piece of equipment at Perris.
It could be a large arrow that is changed when appropriate.
eg when the winds change and in-between loads.
There are several 'arrows' that one could create.
For example, you could use a large inflatable arrow that is common at Kolomna, a wooden arrow or you could go big and get an arrow made out of those lights used for scoreboards at MLB/NFL games.
This solution will also eliminate the FMD issue, where several people try to be the first to land, think they are separated from the pack and do not see other with the same sort of intentions.

4. Hire a Canopy Cop
This would be a person that closely watches the landing pattern and then suggests improvements to individuals that are s-turning, sayshaying, taking lines that cross over others' paths, wrong landing direction etc.
It would also be someone that can instruct people on how to create and maintain separation from others up high before it becomes a concern down low. This person also must have the credentials to be believed by other jumpers. This would not be something for a new jumper to do, but someone with thousands of jumps flying in congested canopy patterns.

5. Have seminars each weekend (at first) or monthly on How to fly in a congested Canopy Pattern.
Skills and techniques about flying in congested patterns are not taught adequately on student status. There needs to more training and education. This is especially beneficial for jumpers that visit Perris from small low volume DZs.

6. Provide placards at the loading area about safe Canopy Pattern Flying.
These could be developed from this article
http://takebackthesky.com/cc.php
that I wrote after the Danny Page-Bob Holler accident.

7. Include a video lesson to be given at the time the waiver video is watched.
This will standardize the briefing that people get and can be updated easily. You could also administer a written test so that they know the rules of the sky.

I hope that you consider these suggestions seriously.
There have been numerous people that have contacted me about the issues at Perris. They are people that have come to Perris time and time again and year after year. They are thinking that they might not do that anymore.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Dan's reply:

Hi Jan,

You have some very good ideas here. One which we can do and already have started is the canopy cop. Others like "no back to backs" which isn't going to work and is hardly an issue since this is primarily teams getting out at 10,500 on their own pass.
We will absolutely look into each of the others and see how we can adapt them.

Thanks,

Dan

And my reply regarding double manifesting:

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Please allow me to expand a bit more on these issues.

I hope that you see these comments as constructive input, based on many people's perspectives.

Double Manifesting:
I agree that none of the accidents at Perris had a double manifesting issue associated with them.
However, there have been accidents and close calls at other DZs where this was a factor.
Not only have there been canopy collision fatalities related to double manifesting, the tandem fallout accident in Ohio was partially attributed to the back-to-back loads that Dave Roberts (TI) was doing.
Perris should not wait until this becomes an issue or contributing factor in an incident, but should learn from others' experiences and implement change beforehand.

Double manifesting creates a culture of 'hurry up and land' and cutting corners, whether or not you are on a back-to-back on a particular load.

It is this DZ culture that may lead to undesirable patterns done primarily by staff and teams.
The regular fun jumpers are now trying to figure out ways to get on loads that are devoid of your staff/sponsored jumpers (tandem or aff or teams).
The regular jumpers would rather jump with other regular jumpers, who are equally afraid of getting taken out by 'staff' than jump with your instructors on the same load who are rushing down to do the next student or team jump.
The gist of what people are saying is that "Perris has its instructors taking each other out and I don't want to be around them."

Again, I hope you take this input as a positive suggestion for change that comes from many people that would not or are not likely to approach you or Melanie directly and not as a berating of Perris.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

USPA has issued a "Call to Action" (just recently emailed out by HQ - text included below, PDF version attached).

Urgent Call To Action!

Since late February, there have been five fatalities (and one critical injury) that were canopy-collision related. Every skydiver is asking the same questions: "How is this happening, and why?" It appears that skill level and proficiency are not indicators. One accident involved two jumpers with about 23 jumps each who were the only two jumpers under canopy at the time. Another accident involved a jumper with 17,000 jumps and another with 8,000 jumps, both very proficient and with very little other traffic around them.

It is time that we all accept the responsibility of ending the canopy-collision threat.

We are asking all skydivers to join in this CALL TO ACTION. Individual jumpers must follow the guidelines in the Skydiver's Information Manual that have proven to keep our skies safer when they are applied correctly. Additionally, we are asking that all S&TAs observe and correct poor habits at their DZs. We are asking that DZOs become more involved in canopy safety by establishing canopy flight rules, and safe landing patterns and landing areas. This type of accident MUST STOP, and we all can be a part of making that happen.

Jay Stokes, USPA President

SKYDIVER ACTION CALL

The time has come for us to change the way we are looking at ourselves and those around us and to insist upon a different set of outcomes. We have lost nearly 30 fellow skydivers in recent years to situations in which two canopy pilots ran into each other. Some of these accidents are attributable to jumpers executing "induced-speed" (or high-performance) landings, and others are not. There have been many different circumstances surrounding these incidents, leading to many theories about the causes and steps that can be taken to prevent additional instances. In recent months, USPA Board members and staff have had in-depth dialogue with many skydiving experts and skydivers who care. USPA is committed to canopy education and will continue working on those recommendations. Meanwhile, here are some generally agreed-upon observations, followed by suggestions, some of which can be applied by every one of us.

* Skydivers have become increasingly concerned about their personal safety. Many jumpers are experiencing a substantially increased fear of being unexpectedly, and perhaps fatally, involved in a canopy collision-being struck from behind or above by a more aggressive canopy pilot. Some have publically expressed a lack of desire to jump at drop zones that do not promote a safe canopy flying culture. It is no longer "politically incorrect" to be an advocate of good canopy-flying behavior.

* When skydivers are trained in canopy-flight techniques and (perhaps more importantly) in canopy-flight decision-making, they become better and safer canopy pilots. They make better decisions and are significantly more aware of their surroundings under canopy. Industry experts agree that improving canopy education is critical, but we also know that it takes time.

* Higher wing loadings increase risk. Canopy pilots that fly at higher wing loadings are not necessarily unsafe, but statistics bear out a higher level of threat to the highly loaded canopy pilot and those who fly in his or her vicinity. Highly loaded canopies fly more quickly and react much more radically to toggle and riser input than lightly loaded parachutes. Skydivers who fly high-performance parachutes must maintain a great deal of respect for the flight characteristics of those parachutes.

* Mixing of standard landing patterns and high-performance landing patterns is dangerous. True separation of landing areas by distance and/or time is crucial. This includes not only the final approach and touchdown zones, but also the airspace above the drop zone where high-performance and standard-pattern flyers may intermix during pattern and/or landing maneuver set-up. Simply put, we can't just paint a line down the middle of the landing area and think that it will provide adequate separation. The total three-dimensional aspect of the airspace and any potential conflicts must be thoroughly considered in the landing zone layout.

* Predictability is the key to safe landing patterns and accident avoidance. Excessive turns in the traffic pattern are exponentially more dangerous than straight-in final approaches following a 90-degree turn from base to final leg. This is true of jumpers busting out big turns to final (180s, 270s, 720s, etc.), as well as the old-school jumper doing S-turns or a braked accuracy descent down the middle of his final approach path. Both can become rapidly unpredictable and result in unexpected outcomes like low-altitude collision-avoidance turns and worse.

* Many jumpers don't pay attention to their surroundings as much as they should while flying their canopies. Everyone needs to pay attention to their environment and look out for everyone else.

* In some cases, the only way to educate is to enforce rules and provide consequences for bad behavior-especially repeated bad behavior.

Here are a couple of ideas that we can implement today. USPA is asking all members to take action to address this situation. There is something that you can do, regardless of your status on the drop zone.

Each skydiver should:

1. Recognize the need to get more training, gain more knowledge and improve your canopy skills. Start now by reviewing Sections 6-10 and 6-11 in the Skydiver's Information Manual.

2. In air, improve your visual scan and awareness of where others are in the sky. Look not only where you want to fly, but look for where others may be. On final approach, maintain your scan and awareness of others; don't get tunnel vision on your landing spot.

3. Realize that every turn increases the chance for converging flight. When descending into the standard landing area, fly a standard pattern and continue to scan the airspace for any conflicting canopy traffic while keeping your turns to no more than 90 degrees.

4. Set an example through your behavior. Become a proponent of safe canopy flight. Walk the talk, fly the pattern, and share the knowledge.

5. Demand a safe canopy flight environment at your home drop zone. Talk to your DZO, S&TAs and fellow jumpers about it. Insist upon a culture of safe canopy flight.

Each DZO and S&TA should:

1. Establish DZ canopy-flight rules and be certain that they are clearly communicated to all jumpers.

2. Establish and utilize a method for determining and communicating landing direction on each load.

3. Truly separate high-performance and standard landing areas. Consider the approach portion of the airspace and be certain that the opportunity for overlap in differing wind conditions and jump runs is minimized.

4. Be certain the rules for each landing area are well established. Limit turns in the standard landing pattern to 90 degrees. Let your jumpers know that radical diving and speed-inducing maneuvers, as well as S-turns and braked accuracy approaches to the standard landing pattern will not be tolerated.

5. Consider other restrictions on your high-performance landing area, and be sure that everyone knows about it.

6. Consider instituting a "Canopy Safety Monitor" or "Landing Safety Officer" approach, where an experienced staff member is empowered to observe and evaluate canopy flight from the ground in order to provide immediate feedback to errant canopy pilots. This "monitor" could be an S&TA, Instructor or simply a trusted and empowered jumper. This allows the DZ to monitor and address potentially dangerous situations in real time.

7. Step up your use of counseling and enforcement tools to address irresponsible canopy piloting. Your USPA Regional Director will be happy to assist with this process if it is desired.

Good idea. Being new, it makes me wonder why everyone is landing in different directions. I just stick to north on final on L&V days.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, for the swoopers, have manifest put all who want to swoop on the same load? Bump the load up if theres not enough to fill it the slots, or fill
it in with some solo belly flyers willing to open high being last out. No swooping on a conservative load unless its a low pass for one or two swoopers. All conservative canopy flyers still stay clear of the swooping air space for safe pattern practice. Then when new students or jumpers visiting go into the restricted airspace they wont be in the way of someone setting up to have their fun swoop and can be told they shouldn't be there when they land.

Or would manifest have a hard time organizing this?

I don't know shit, i ask when i should get out every load, fly my pattern of 90s, don't burn a brotha' on the question[:/]